Monday, November 23, 2009

You've Got Mail


I love this movie, it really is one of my favorites.
Thanksgiving and Christmas remind me of this film
each year, since the two holidays have prominent
scenes in You've Got Mail.


I love the little children's bookstore in the movie,
The Shop Around The Corner
that Meg Ryan's character, Kathleen Kelly owns.
I think I could be very happy if I owned a
book shop...



I also really love the apartment that is 
Kathleen Kelly's. It's like a country cottage 
in the heart of Manhattan.
Until just recently, I did not not realize 
that the apartment is in fact a studio 
(although it is hard to tell
from the photos)!




Some of my favorite quotes from the movie are:

Kathleen Kelly: 

Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, not small, but valuable. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void. 

Joe Fox: 

The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino. 

Kathleen Kelly: 

People always say that change is a good thing, but what it really means is that something that you didn't want to happen, has happened. 

Joe Fox: 

Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms. 






3 comments:

koralee said...

Oh this movie is one of my favourites too....I always wanted her life. I will have to dig it out and watch it again real soon! Thanks for the great post and I do love those quotes from the movie.

deborah said...

ahhh, yes, I so want to watch it now. One of my absolute favorites of hers. That and When Harry Met Sally. Ugh, what was she thinking when she messed with her beautiful face? anyway, time to go get out the golden oldies. thank you

Elyse said...

how did it take us so long to find each other in blogland!? so glad! nice to "meet" you!

xo
elyse