Monday, January 31, 2011

Falling In Love...With Vintage

My husband asked me recently, when did I start liking Vintage Style?  I couldn't come up with an exact answer for him, but I told him that it all started with this furniture piece...




This was the 1st piece of furniture I ever bought for myself!  I got it at the Kane County Flea Market in St. Charles, IL, about 12 years ago.  I was completely drawn to it, and just had to have it, even though I had no purpose for it in mind.  This, and Rachel Ashwell's first book, Shabby Chic, set off my obsession with Shabby Chic and Vintage Style...stick a fork in me...i was done...that's all it took.

Since then, my style has evolved from Shabby Chic pastels to a love of Cottage Style whites, but with bright colors thrown in the mix...think Cath Kidston
This is my ideal style kitchen
photo credit: cathkidstonusa.com

I have added some of this style and color into my current kitchen, but there's much more to be done once we move out of the miniature apartment.

I am definitely drawn to living rooms like these...
(i won't be showing you mine, as it is strewn with baby paraphenalia!)
Photo Credit:  selinalake.blogspot.com

Photo Credit:  countryliving.com

I have also evolved from a love of fancy schmancy Shabby Chic style to Farmhouse and Prairie style, and I just cannot wait for this book, by Fifi O'Neill to come out...
Find out more at fabulousfifi.typepad.com

I still love authentic Shabby Chic style...I mean, what's not to love?
I've just found myself embracing brighter colors over the years

I have learned that if you buy what you truly love, no matter the style or era, it somehow all ends up working together.  I'll always love that little Shabby Chic desk/vanity, my very first purchased piece of furniture!  It has traveled with me to numerous houses and apartments over the years and I know it will find itself always welcome at home with me.

Photobucket
* Photo credits noted, otherwise Google images

This post went to these parties:
Furniture Feature Fridays


My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia










  




Vintage Inspiration Friday









30 comments:

Shabbygal said...

I totally agree! Buy what you love no matter what style or era. I'm a vintage shabby chic girl. Love that first piece you bought! Funny we live in St. Charles IA and my stepson and his mom live in ST.Charles IL. Small world! Love your blog! Traci

A Vintage Chic said...

Beautiful, Stacey! I totally agree--my house is such a mishmash of well-loved antiques and everything else...and it makes me completely happy!

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Julie

Betty said...

Praise God for furniture that is so darn cute and just a slice of heaven like a piece of pie on sunny afternoon! Love it!

Diane Mars said...

That 1st piece is really just adorable, I too would have bought thta great style~

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Our daughter is soon moving to Bichester, England . . . which has a Cath Kidson discount store. Can't wait to visit.

Fondly,
Glenda

Anne Marie... said...

IT TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH!

I was just going to come over and remind you :)

xoxo!

Claudia said...

That first piece you bought is gorgeous! How could you pass it up?

xo
Claudia

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Oh Stacey! I LOVE the piece of furniture you featured! It is soooooo cute! I would've bought it too and then treasured it like you do for the rest of my life. And I know what you mean about buying the things you love. I love the whole "white" scheme but I've always been drawn to color. I adore fabric from the 40's, bark cloth, and cuteness and I just can't seem to do the monochromatic thing. Love the Cath Kidson kitchen. Bring on the cuteness!
Sweet post. Thanks for sharing and for visiting Cottage and Creek. I appreciate it!
Lynn

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

Oh so cute!!!! I love your style- all my faves too :) I love the all white look, but I love color too much to be able to pull it off in my whole house. Cath Kidston is a favorite. I bought some of her wrapping paper a few years ago- I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I guard it like it's gold!
Thanks for stopping by my blog, great to have met you!

Angela (Cottage Magpie) said...

That little vanity is SO CUTE! I'm a shabby chic girl all the way, but I'm finding that I'm craving just a little more color these days!
~Angela~

Biljana said...

I love your first shabby piece, absolutely beautiful:-)
I love shabby!!
Greetings from Biljana

Everlasting Blooms said...

I LOVE everything definitely my style! :)

~ Stay warm down in the windy city!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ Love your desk- what a beauty and love your inspiration pics too! Stopping by from WW- nice to meet you! :)

Vintage Home said...

Love your desk!...great inspiration for your look!

Vicki said...

I love that little desk! I want Barb and I to go to the Kane County fair in March! Let me know if you are going. Have a good week neighbor! Hope your mountain of snow melts quickly!!

Kathy said...

That desk is adorable! I love the yellow antique-y color and the pink flowers together.

I am with you on showing off the living room---my guys (big and small) are hard on the common spaces, too. ;-)

AshTreeCottage said...

I am in love with that desk!!! We share the same passion.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Mary Ellen said...

Love the desk and the shabby vintage style too. If you haven't you must go over to Elyse's blog at http://tinkeredtreasures.blogspot.com/

she is the sweetest person and has a great look like you are showing in your inspiration pictures. She loves Cathy Kidston too

bee blessed
mARY

Annette said...

I would love to find a desk like that for my sewing room. What a great find!

Dear Sweet Home said...

Love your desk! And, love the color inspiration. I think you can't go wrong with shabby!

Susanne said...

Love the desk too! When you said your husband asked when you started liking vintage style, I thought you meant he just noticed. Glad he's paying attention.
Susanne.

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

That is one beautiful little desk!

I'm always on the lookout for pieces like this, unfortunately, they are few and far between. Lucky you!

Sue @ Beach Bungalow
xo

Gloria said...

Hi Stacey,

I am visiting from Friday Pretties. So nice to meet you!

I LOVE your desk!! My first purchase of furniture was a desk, and I still have it also...:)

I am glad I found you, your blog is very pretty and sweet! I love all of these decorating styles as well!

xoxo Gloria
p.s. you have a new follower

Debra@Common Ground said...

Your vanity is truly amazing, the lovely shape and painted rosebuds. Really a one-of-a-kind piece. Such a great way to start the fundamentals of your own special style. Thanks for sharing on VIF!
xo,
Debra

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there- just stopping back by to say thank you for sharing this inspiration at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Stacey! I'm so thrilled that you stopped by the Picket Fence and shared this with us at Inspiration Friday! I absolutely love your very first vintage piece and think it is just charming and lovely. It is so fun to be able to look at something like that and know that it really helped to solidify your personal design style. I hope we will see much more of you in the future and I'm now your newest follower! :-)
Vanessa

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Stacey, that is such a gorgeous desk. It's definitely a keeper. ;)

Thanks for linking to the party. I hope to see you each week.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottag.blogspot.com/

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Everything on this post is so Pretty!!! I am drawn to several different styles too. It's so hard to choose when there are so many fun things to choose from!
My sister goes to the Kane County Flea all the time. I have gone with her with her once. FUN!!!

Thanks for joining Friday Pretties!
Joyce

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

Love the kitchen! How could a person not be happy in there?

Cindy @ LeChaiseParfait said...

Really great pictures thanks for sharing. I love just about all the styles I think.