Monday, February 21, 2011

Country In The City

It was 60 degrees last week, here in Chicago...ALL the snow is gone!!  Maggie and I were able to get out and go for a leisurely walk...quite the rarity in February in Chicago.  After 7 years of living in the city, I am still surprised with how so many of the homes in the neighborhoods look like houses that would be in the country or a small town, certainly not a large urban city!  There are many Victorian, Farmhouse, Cottage, and Bungalow homes with inviting porches, lining the streets, right next to apartment buildings and condos.  As Maggie and I strolled about on this warm, but gray day, this is what we saw in our neighborhood...

 This house has such a nice porch and Farmhouse style about it

 This one looks like a barn and has a cute little red "Post" Mailbox
{isn't it funny how it is right next to a modern building?}

Something about this house has a bit of a coastal/nautical feel to it
{i can't believe that this is all the snow that's left, when just a couple
 weeks ago we had snow mountains!}

These porches hold special meaning...it is where my husband and I met!
We were neighbors, I lived in the home on the left {lower floor} and
he on the right {upper floor}.

Here's a quick shot of my little front porch today, 
certainly not as grand as some of the others in the neighborhood, 
but at least there's no more snow on it!
{we're moving into our first house soon anyway...yippee!}

I'm joining Jill at Gypsy Brocante for Porch Club Monday, stop by her lovely blog for visit...
Porch Club

Photobucket

16 comments:

traci said...

i love front porches, so all the houses have my vote. i think #2 in my favorite.

have a great day.

A Vintage Chic said...

So glad you're getting your first house, Stacey--so exciting!

How fun that you and your husband lived next door to each other...so sweet!

Hope your day is wonderful!

Julie

ShantyGirl said...

I want to hear more of the love story on the upper and lower balcony!! I love the pictures and the third one is my favorite!!! Glad you got out for a nice walk and congrats on moving into your first house!!!!!!
Have a wonderful day!
Sherry

Anne Marie... said...

can you believe this weather here?? it's what seperates the girls from the women I say....

can't wait to see your porch in the summer...I am sure you love sitting out there...

xo+blessings,
Anne Marie

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Oh, your post makes me miss Chicago. We lived in the suburbs for years. My bestie lives in the area of Ravenswood. I love all the brown stones there. It is funny how bungalows, etc are mixed in. Happy to hear you experienced some warmer weather this weekend! We did too. I'm so ready for Spring! Good luck in becoming a home owner! :)~M

styleforlife said...

LOVE Chicago. Lived there for 11 yrs before coming to LA. I miss it and its architecture. So fun! Thanks for sharing! XXXXX

Boho Farm and Home said...

Love these porches...they remind me of home. It is funny how the midwest is, you can take the girl out of the midwest but you can't take the midwest out of the girl.
I am your newest follower. I look forward to seeing Chicago thru your eyes.
xo,
Caroline

Gypsy Brocante said...

What a wonderful city ... looks like you get the best of both worlds ~ such an eclectic mix! ... and how nice you are introducing your daughter to the neighborhood porches and enjoying a day or two of nicer weather.

And yes ... I want to hear about the porch love story ... I think that would be a great topic of discussion for everyone soon!

xo
Jill

Vicki @ Curly Willow said...

Well, I don't know about you... but we got dumped on again in Indiana. I am planning on being in Chicago Wednesday, I hope this doesn't mess up my trip. I'll be waving at you. :)

Shabbygal said...

I love looking at old homes. That is so cute you met your hubby who lived next door! Loved the warmer weather too! Traci

Lisa said...

I'm glad you're snow is nearly gone, and things are starting to warm up. Those homes are lovely. Particularly liking no's 2 & 3. Front porches are such a great feature. Yes, I'd love to hear more of this upstairs/downstairs romance.

Cheers,
Lisa x

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

These are such lovely porches, thanks for sharing!!!
Daphne

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Stacey,

For all the snow I had this winter I can't imagine what you and the city of Chicago had to deal with. I saw pictures on the internet..brrrr!

It is amazing the differences in the houses. They are all large homes too..and I like all of the different styles. I've always lived in old homes until we moved to the Smokies. I couldn't find an old house sitting on a mountain ridge...so we found this 10 year old house.

I totally enjoyed your post and I know you are excited about moving into a house soon. Meanwhile enjoy where you are...I know that porch of yours is probably full of flowers in the spring!

Thanks so much for visiting with me..come by anytime.

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Barb said...

Doesn't Chicago have the best, most diverse neighborhoods! Love this city!
Barb

Christine said...

Oh I love these pictures. I was in Chicago for a minute last summer and loved it. The architecture is so beautiful!! And thanks for leaving such a super nice comment on my blog:)
Christine
greatoakcircle.com

Elyse said...

hi stacey,

fun to see some parts of chicago. i have been since i was 11! i lived in the suburbs from 1-5 and then 11. what i remember: the ray rayner show (showing my age), pizza cut into squares, chili dogs and mountains of snow. not so fun: tornado warnings.

now i'm rambling ...

xo
elyse