Thursday, February 17, 2011

There's No Place Like Home - Buying Our First House!

There's No Place Like Home

It's official!  Well, almost totally official....We have bought our first house!!  So so exciting for us!  My husband, 7 month old daughter, and I have been living in a rather small apartment and we are pretty much busting out of it now.  However, it paid off (literally), to live in small quarters so we could save to buy a house. Finally, we have found one that suits our needs and that actually already has some character and charm...Woo Hoo!!  We'll be moving to the suburbs of Chicago, we currently live in the city, so it will be a big change of pace, but I am ready for a quieter area for sure...frankly, I could go live in the country on a farm at this point!  Check out some of the sneak peak pics (they are from the realtor website, so they aren't the best)...
1001 N YALE Ave, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60004
Living and Dining Room
Ick on the wall color...looks like a band aid...haha!
The chandelier has got to go too.  Love everything else though!

1001 N YALE Ave, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60004
One of the bedrooms...a nice clean slate for decorating!

1001 N YALE Ave, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60004
Half Bathroom...already has bead board and nice fixtures!

Looks pretty perfect, right?  Wait...just wait, check this out...
1001 N YALE Ave, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60004
The Kitchen...EEK!  It needs some work...there is elephant wall paper in there!
But I've got big plans for it,  mostly cosmetic stuff, no major renovations.

I am so excited to to get into this house and start decorating! I have been at a stand still in the apartment, since I knew we would be moving I didn't want to buy any new furniture, etc.  This has been NO fun...I am used to always decorating and tweaking things, and now I am just plain bored with everything in the apartment, but see no point to start new projects.  To tide me over, I have been looking at decorating books, magazines, and blogs for inspiration for the new house.

{My Decor Books...I really need some bookcases}

{My Favorite Magazines}

 {My Inspiration Binder...I've been collecting magazine pictures
for a couple of years in it.  It's just a simple binder I prettied up.
I do the same for travel destinations and recipes}

We're planning to move in mid March and I cannot wait!  Uh-oh, now I have to think about packing...double ick.  It will all be worth it though...having a home of our own to raise our little girl  in, AND I get to decorate again!  I'm looking forward to sharing the "Befores And Afters" with you!!

Photobucket
Linking To:

25 comments:

Lisa said...

Super Super Super excited for you. I remember the feeling. It's a lovely home. Don't get rid of that chandelier. Stash it somewhere. I saw on a blog recently where one of these was taken apart, painted and put together in an entirely different way and look pretty good. If you'd like the link, I can try and find it.

CONGRATULATIONS - can you hear the fireworks and the champers corks popping?

Cheers,
Lisa x

Barb said...

Congratulations, I'm so excited for you! Your new home is fabulous. Can't wait to follow along and share in your decorating adventures!

Barb
Www.curlywillowdiy.blogspot.com

Comeca Jones said...

Lucky you! Cant wait to see what you'll do with the place I love the beadboard too!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

what a dream home my dear! SO SO SOO Happy and Excited for you!!!

Melissa said...

oh my gosh i can feel your excitement stacey!!

there in absolutely NOTHING like the first home you buy as a family...oh i am excited for you!!

love the spaces...loving that bathroom...thy've done one of the most expensive rooms for you...

errrrr....the kitchen you get to create!
i think it's wonderful to put your own stamp on the kitchen as you are in there always...
&
if they'd just poured money into it...but you didn't like what they'd done you'd be feeling pretty bad about pulling it apart again!

go for it....lovely!!

going to check out that country living storage ideas- is it any good??

melissa x

Dana said...

Congratulations! Oh the blog material you will have!!!

AshTreeCottage said...

I am so happy for you!!! The house has great bones and I have every confidence that you will work your magic and it will be absolutely gorgeous!!!

Lots of love to you three,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

PS: I grew up in the Chicagoland suburbs and had a fabulous childhood. You will love it there too!

Vicki @ Curly Willow said...

OMG! Super exciting! Love the charm of the arches and the little nook in that bedroom! Have fun decorating and good luck with your move. :)

traci said...

Hello Stacey. Congratulations to you. How exciting. Elephant wallpaper in the kitchen, really? who does that? i am sure you will have it looking adorable in no time. can't wait to follow along in the process.

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see what you do with your new home. Congrats!
~Shanon

Gypsy Brocante said...

How super exciting!! Congratulations to you and the family ... I would be chomping at the bit to get in there!

Now you can use your Pinterest boards for decor ideas ... no book shelves needed ; )

Have a nice weekend,
xo
Jill

Claudia said...

Stacey - what fabulous news! Congratulations! You must be over the moon!

Love the photos - what beautiful hardwood floors and I love the staircase - you are going to have such fun!

xo
Claudia

Dear Lillie said...

Congratulations on your new home!!!! It looks fabulous! LOVE all the hardwoods!

Pink Satin Sashes said...

Sure like that old door in the kitchen shot...Congratulations on your new home!

Jennifer Rizzo said...

Stacey! What a great house! Congratulations! What burb are you moving too? You'll be so happy to get out of the city!

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

i sincerely thank you all so so much!!
XO,
Stacey

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

congrats Stacey!! How exciting! The place looks absolutely adorable. Can't wait to see your signature in your new home.

Elyse said...

warmest congrats to you 3! i'm so happy for you. the house looks so sunny and the floors are wonderful. paint will take care of the rest (it did for me).

enjoy the daydreaming ...

pack the dishes first = lots of take-out! LOL

xo
elyse

birdie blue said...

congratulations on the new house, stacey! it looks like a darling house, i can't wait to see what you do to make it your own. is it by chance on the north shore?

xo
~molly

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Congratulations on your new home, Stacey... how exciting! Love the staircase... beautiful! The kitchen redo, packing, and moving will all be worth it when You finally have made that house your home. :)
Enjoy!
~ Jo

Anne Marie... said...

I'm so excited for you!!!!!

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

How exciting for you and your family...it looks amazing...love the bathroom.

Whimsical Folk Art Blog said...

Love your blog :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Congratulations!!! That's very exciting news!!

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for adding your link to The Vintage Blog Link Up :)

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

rachelsjunkinthetrunk said...

Congrats on the house! I'm excited for you and look forward to seeing you move in!