Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Winning Hand - Vintage Playing Card Tag Tutorial


I've been collecting vintage playing cards recently, with no idea as to what I would do with them.  I just love the sweet imagery they have!  So, I decided that they would make perfect tags for gift giving and labeling baskets, bins, etc. Here's how I made them...

 Supplies:
Vintage playing cards - available on Etsy and in Thrift Shops
Scissors
Hole Punch
Ribbons, Lace - new or vintage
Scrapbook Paper
Paper Punch
Adhesive


Punch out paper shapes with your paper punch, I chose a 2.25" scallop
punch by EK Success.  These shapes will be the labels you attach to the cards.

 Use adhesive on the back of your paper punches to secure the punch
to the playing cards.  I chose a tape runner adhesive, but you can use
any type of adhesive you like.

 Affix the paper punch to the center back side of the playing cards.

Using your hole punch, punch a hole at the top center of the card,
I just eyeballed it, but you can measure if you like.  I used a 
smaller size hole punch (it doesn't say the size and I don't remember
what it was...sorry about that).

 Cut various styles of laces and ribbons into blank 13 inch lengths, or 
to another length you would like it to be.

 Fold ribbon or lace in half and feed through the hole punch and bring
the ends back through the loop, then gently pull tight,
so it looks like this...

Back view of finished Tag...

You're Done!


I was also thinking you could add buttons, cabochons, etc. to embellish 
the tags and make them extra fancy...


This is a super easy craft that is full of vintage cuteness and is a nice way to recycle/upcycle vintage items.  Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!  Please email me some pics of what you did if you make some tags.  I'd love see and post on my blog what you made!

Photobucket
This post went to these parties:

32 comments:

A Vintage Chic said...

What a wonderful idea! They're absolutely adorable, and so useful!

Thanks for sharing this today--love it!

Julie

birdie blue said...

isn't that sweet? cute and clever, my favorite combination.

xo
~molly

Shabbygal said...

What an adorable idea! Thanks for sharing Traci

Brenda Kula said...

You're so right, Stacey! Definitely full of cuteness! I gotta find me some of these cards.
Brenda

michelle said...

What a cute idea! Those cards are adorable and there is so much that you can do with them! Buttons would be perfect!! :)

AshTreeCottage said...

Very cute!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Simply Bungalow said...

Great Idea. Love the cards!
~Heidi

Linda said...

This is something to remember. I think it's great!! Thanks for showing how to do it,too.
Linda

Mary said...

This is a really awesome post! I would like to invite you to link it up to my link party, Masterpiece Monday, at my blog, Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week. I hope you can join in the fun! Mary :O)

Jami said...

These are so clever! I hope you'll stop by and share them at the Pretty Packages Party!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/02/pretty-packages-party-6.html
Smiles!
Jami

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

I really love these!! What an awesome idea! Thanks!


http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

These are adorable! I collect vintage game cards and turn many of them into little journal books by punching holes in the top and coil binding them. Just a thought for your other cards.

Jennifer Rizzo said...

Stacey, these are so cute! What a great use of old playing cards!

Sorta Fairytale Girl said...

Thank you so much everyone, i'm so glad you like them!

Melissa said...

hello- i have just stumbles upon you from a beach cottage link up and love this idea!!

i have some old french cards i will do this with...and i will be sure to link back to you on my blog...

many thanks...for sharing this gorgeous idea!

melissa x

Miss Sew & So

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

these are so sweet! I love this idea. I have a friend who uses the same concept for her price tags for her sales! Love it for gift tags! :) Thanks for linking up!

Crystal said...

hopped on over from shabby chic cottage & glad i did...these are GORGEOUS! hugs!

Chrissie said...

What a sweet idea! I love it!

Wanda Metcalf said...

how cute are those. I even remember the cards with the little mouse holding the flower. thanks for the fun idea!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

So adorable! You are clever and creative! Love your blog. It is so bright and cheery. Just a happy place to be. Just found you via My Romantic Home. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Tammy

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

How creative and Fun!!! That is a great use for those cards. :)
Thanks for joining me for Friday Pretties. Have a wonderful weekend and a very romantic Valentines Day!
Joyce

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh how cute! I am visiting via the Valentine linky.
I wanted to invite you to the two linky parties I am planning. The first will be on February 23~ High Tea Tablescapes. Details can be found on my Wednesday posts. There will be PRIZES!

Happy Valentine's Day!

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Stacey! We are so thrilled that you linked up this darling idea to our Inspiration Friday party this week. You are so very creative and these tags are adorable!
Vanessa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a sweet idea for gift tags! Love these- they are darling! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Boogieboard Cottage said...

Hi Stacey,
I featured your adorable playing card tags on my top ten favorite picks this week! thank you for joining Masterpiece Monday!. Mary :O)

Jami said...

Thanks so much for linking up your adorable tags to the Pretty Packages Party! Can't wait to see what you come up with next month!
smiles!
Jami

Judy said...

What a super idea. I have vintage playing cards in a drawer that would be perfect for this. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the party. Hope to see you again next week.

Dear Lillie said...

What a fabulous idea!

Jeanna said...

So Sweet! Now I'm on the look out for vintage cards.

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

tvdinnerpro said...

What a great idea! I like how you included that scalloped area to write... I'm your newest follower and I am featuring you Thursday on A Crafty Soiree.
Thanks for linking up! Malia
www.yesterdayontuesday.com

Fancy Vintage said...

Just found your blog, Love it, so inspiring,
Becca

Marion said...

Your vintage playing cards are awesome! Really love it! I love your creativity. So impressive! Thanks for sharing.