Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"A Sort Of Small House" - Our New House So Far...

Whew, we are finally moved in!  Clearly, there is much left to do, but here's how things are looking so far...

{The House was built in 1942 and is a Georgian style home, I forgot to take a picture of it, sorry!}

Living Room




{this is kind of a sad pic of these chairs, but you can see them well at least}

{a view to the stairs}

The living room furniture I have had for a few years, except I have been storing the slipcovered love seat because it was always too wide (in the arms) to fit through any city apartment doorways.  I'm so glad to have it back at home with me again! 

We painted the walls a creamy white (Toasted Marshmallow by Behr), this was the before color...
1001 N YALE Ave, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60004
Dining Room


The dining table is new and has a leaf to make it larger.  I am using the metal kitchenette chairs around it now, but am on the lookout for some thrift store, estate sale, or flea market chairs.  Oh, and I am also looking for a coffee table for the living room from those places as well.  Hopefully this weekend's search will yield some good finds as is, or ready for a makeover!  The chandelier will get a makeover or be replaced, it has zero personality as is...ick.

Bedroom

 {I just bought a lamp to replace that puny, but cute one}


The bedroom is a little bland right now, but it's coming along. 
 The dresser is my husband's from when he was a child and he has been using it all these years!  It has grown on me, but one day I may paint it.  I am in need of a dresser for myself, since I got rid of my old really ugly one when we moved.  I have my eye on a tall white one with a mirror that I saw on Craigslist.  The mint green side tables were in various places in our old apartment, but I am glad they are next to the bed now...I am especially glad that the bed is no longer shoved up against a wall like it used to be...you can only crawl over your spouse to get in at out of bed for so long!

Upstairs Bathroom


Not too much has gone on in here yet, except moving in the necessities.  I neither love nor hate the green paint it came with...it will change someday I am sure.  

Maggie's Room 


Maggie's room looks a lot like her old room, click HERE to see it.  I wanted to keep things familiar for her, so that was the plan to have it look the same.  Her room did come with a pretty blue wall though (which is not pictured)!  I still have to put up some pictures on the walls and will have fun adding some cute accessories over time.
The curtains are tacked up temporarily until I find some rods I like.  I don't know why the lamp looks like it is about to fall off the table...whoopsy!

Well, that's it for now...lot's more to come soon!  I'm so happy our internet/cable was installed yesterday...now I can catch up on all the blogs I follow...Happy Wednesday!!

Photobucket
Linking To:




34 comments:

traci said...

oh stacey. your new home looks amazing. all the light coming in the windows. and the staircase. i love it. it would be so fun to put your stamp on it.

Comeca Jones said...

Wondered where you had gone ! Its so sweet I bet your mind is goin overtime with plans.Cant wait to see what you add to the space.

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

You have a charming new home with tons of character. You must be so excited! Can't wait to see how you make this house your home.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Your new home is beautiful!! So bright and cheerful!

Thank you for stopping by the Vintage Blog Link Party!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

What a beautiful home! I bet you're so excited to make it your own. The paint choice for the living room really brightened it up. Beautiful! Your loveseat is darling! Can't wait to see how it progresses.
Happy for you :) Michelle

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love your home and your love seat cover! I'll be following along to see how you decorate your 1942 home...lucky you!

Rondell

Lisa said...

It's so fresh and new looking. Love the colour you chose for the loung. It's so bright and cheery. Looking forward to seeing where it takes you, or rather, where you take it.
Lisa x

Boho Farm and Home said...

I love those floors and the big picture window in the living room...what great light. Did you guys move out of the city? I am seeing lawns. :) w/o snow BTW.
Love the archway too. Really nice architectual details...see this is where the designer comes out! Can't wait to see the front.
xo
Caroline

Claudia said...

Just beautiful - filled with light and beautiful floors! Love that loveseat. We had one in storage for 4 years before we could move it into our new home.

xo
Claudia

Vicki @ Curly Willow said...

Fabulous! I bet you love having all that space. You've got a super cute space started and I just know you are going to have a blast hitting the flea markets and filling it up! Congrats again. What a fun spring you are gonna have!!

michelle said...

Your new home is beautiful!! I love how open it is. How fun to start from scratch and make it the way you want it. I know it is a lot of work but do it in bits and you will get there. :) Good luck and have fun and don't forget to breath!! :)

Elyse said...

aw, YOUR HOUSE (isn't it so fun to say that?) is sooooooo lovely and all of your furniture and furnishings are sooooooo sweet! i love it already.

wishing you lots of health and happiness in YOUR NEW HOME, sweetie!

xo
elyse

Free Pretty Things For You said...

So Happy for you! It looking Gorgeous already! LOVE your furniture!!!!

Betsy said...

Wow, you've done an amazing job in a short period of time. I adore the charm of the older homes with their hardwood floors. I love that desk that you placed behind the sofa....did you paint that? Very nice.

Nan said...

Congratulations on your new home! It looks so fresh and light! We moved in to ours 6 months ago and every room, wall, floor needs re-doing. I look forward to seeing your progress. Nice to meet you!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

What progress you have made! I love all that you have been showing us so far. I love that big window with your comfy loveseat/couch to watch the cars go by.

~Shanon

At Home in English Valley said...

Hi Stacey, Welcome to the burbs. Your home is lovely! You've made so much progress in just a few days. Sorry we missed meeting at the blog event. Penny

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I love that wall color. I wanting to paint my living room and that might be a contender. Your loveseat is so cute. I live in an old house myself and have the same arch between my living room and dining room. I'll be watching to see what all you do with your home.

Donna said...

Stacey, what a BEAUTIFUL home you have! I love your decorating style. The overstuffed loveseat is gorgeous! And those living room windows - it must be so bright and airy! Loved the tour! Enjoy your Cath Kidston dishes!!!... Donna

Deb said...

Hey Stacey! Your place looks great already...congrats on your new home! Just wondering where you found your cute kitchen table...I love it! Thanks...Deb

Whimsical Folk Art Blog said...

cute cute cute!

Jori said...

Thank you SO much for commenting on my polka dot table. I am followig you too! LOVE your house! It is just beautiful. Where I live I swear all of the houses look the same.

CAS said...

Hi, Stacey, congrats on the new house! I love the hardwood floors & that huge "almost to the floor" window is awesome. Looking forward to seeing how your decorating evolves. I'm a new follower & would love to have you visit my blog & follow back.
CAS

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Your house is so pretty and has such great bones! Happy for you!!

Kimberly Jones said...

Congrats on your new home! It's so charming and sweet. I love the archway and the wood floors. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just became a follower of yours, so I'm sure I'll be visiting often!

Liz Ekstrom said...

Beatiful! I love that huge front window!

Found you on In the Hammock's linky party!

http://salvagedstylevintage.blogspot.com/

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

omg how cute is the new place!?! congrats and well done in such a short time!

michele

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

WOW this place is huge!!
I love the colors on your bed.
I can't wait to see what else you do!

Cozy Little House said...

I'm so excited for you and your family! You'll have so much fun decorating your new space. Love the new kitchen table and the familiar beloved chairs! And that love seat is a keeper too!
Brenda

Cindy said...

Your house is beautiful! I adore the arch from living room to stairway, so nice to have an older house with some real character. I am sure you will enjoy it, I can see that your decorating style is perfect for this house. It will be gorgeous when you are finished, I'm sure!
Hugs, Cindy

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Gorgeous, charming, cozy, inviting, beautiful, Lovely, and so, so Pretty!!! I love every room and all of your furniture.
Thanks for joining my Friday Pretties. It is certainly Pretty over here,
Joyce

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

so cute!! I am so excited for you guys. Your furniture is adorable, and I know how it is when you've had things in storage and can't wait to get it out again. ahhhh! Such a cute house, I can't wait to see the transformation! Thanks for linking up!

S said...

I came for Rednesday and then decided to snoop around a bit more. Your home looks charming - enjoy making it your own!

Abdul said...

What a cozy home you have, Stacey! Georgian homes are one of my favorites. This reminds of granny's house in Nashville. The dining table is fab! Looks vintage with the metal chairs. The big windows are awesome too. It would make your house stand out at night if you get the right lighting. I just love how your house is so white and bright! Please do an update about your house interior design. We'd love to see how it looks like now. :)

Abdul Jackson