Thursday, April 7, 2011

Style Series No. 1 - Everything's Coming Up Prairie!


It's everywhere it seems{and that's a Good Thing}...Prairie Style!

Welcome to Style Series No. 1
{a monthly focus on a particular style}

Prairie Style:
n.
The architectural style of the Prairie School.
A style of decorative arts associated with this school, 
characterized especially by strong horizontal and vertical elements.

I think we can safely say that Prairie Style encompasses so much more...

Prairie Homes and Such

Country Living


"My "village" and I are busy bees, putting the final touches to get our Prairie Bed and Breakfast"
-Rachel Ashwell

pinkchair

decayed

laundry
{this might be the best part}
Pretty sure I am dying to stay here.

All Photos Courtesy of  Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic



I know you all are reading and loving Fifi's book


How about some Prairie Style Fashion?


Ralph Lauren


Prairie Stylin' Blogs

Modern Prairie Girl

Faded Plains

Post Road Vintage


There are so many other amazing blogs that focus on Prairie Style, these are just a teeny tiny sampling.  Do check them out if you haven't already!

Prairie Style Goods On Etsy

Prairie Shabby Chic Vintage Table Cloth Very Unusual

Vintage Prairie Basket Crochet Doily

Holly Hobbie Illustration In A Brass Frame Cute 1970s Retro Country Home Decor
{Holly Hobbie, the original Prairie Girl}

Hope you enjoyed the little Prairie series!  Upcoming series will feature the following styles (of which many styles will undoubtedly overlap) :
Cottage 
British
Retro Kitsch
Shabby Chic
French Provincial
Parisian
Vintage Trailer
Camp & Cabin
Beach
Farmhouse
&
More
{if I can think of them}
Suggestions Welcome!



17 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post Stacey. Yes I'm quite liking the Prairie style. So many of the styles do overlap now, in a way that they never have before. It's great because it allows room for different tastes, and pieces to come together in a coherent way.
I haven't had the pleasure of coming across Post Road Vintage yet, so I'm looking forward to taking a look.
Looking forward to your future style posts.

x

GardenofDaisies said...

What a wonderful post, filled with so many pretty and comfortable things. I bet RA's B&B is going to be a huge success! LOL, I remember that dress pattern!

traci said...

i love this prairie style. so welcoming and warm. i just visited post road vintage from here. that's a great blog too. have a great day.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

What a great idea for a series. It's lovely getting to know what you love. And you've listed some great blogs!!

Sarahx

Heidi said...

Hi Stacey ~ came by to check in with you! Your new house is cute as can be! Love what you are doing the paint colors, the KC market finds, the kitchen cabinets! OOOh and your dishes are adorable! Still hoping we can get together later in the month!
:)Heidi

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

SO MUCH INSPIRATION HERE. yes, i discovered Rachel's prairie project recently and am dying to see it in person. and yes, i have Fifi's new book. count me out tho for sporting the bonnet this spring. even if it's marked PRADA.

thanks for the shabby nest heads up! i felt spoiled and all fancy!

love to you.

michele

Claudia said...

I have that first photo in one of my Inspiration Books - I love it.

xo
Claudia

Vicki @ Curly Willow said...

Great series... I might actually figure out what my style is... cause I have no idea! Have a great weekend!

Sares said...

I am loving it all! I think this style allows enough room for each of us to interpret our own style and still have that prairie look.
Great post, I'm adding my name to your followers and will be back!

Sally Lee by the Sea said...

oooooo.....aaaaaaah......What wonderful visions of loveliness! Such gorgeous photos and dreamy designs. Happy pink Saturday ~ Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

malia said...

this post made my night... thanks for the delish eye candy... and for giving props to holly hobie!

Vintage Country Girl said...

I LOVE prairie style, and the book you listed is on my Amazon wish list!

How's your house coming? LOVE the kitchen by the way...keep it up!

Desire Empire said...

I love this post. Such pretty shots.
Best Carolyn

Cami said...

I can't wait to see more of your style series! What a great idea! Thank you for doing the work for me!
Cami

very merry vintage style said...

Great post with lots of great links! Thanks for linking to my Share the Love party!
Mary

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

My first time to hear about prairie style. Thanks for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

Queenie said...

The prairie style lends so much charm and easy living...I'm lovin' it too...love that living room from country living...great pics :)
Big hugs,
Queenie