Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chandelier Makeover - Faux Tole Painting



I love Tole Chandeliers, and Tole Ware in general!  I wanted to replace the light over my kitchen sink and browsed online for about a month to find some options.  Although I found many pendants that I liked, I remembered silly me had a pink metal tole-like chandelier already.  I decided I would paint it to create the look of Vintage Tole.  It turned out like this...

 {The body looks white in the pic, but I left it as it was, pale pink and only painted the petals and leaves}

{This is what the chandelier looked like before, AFTER I took all of the crystals off of it.  There was nothing wrong with the way it was, even with the crystal drops, it just wasn't what I wanted for the kitchen}


I used Gloss Acrylic Paint from Michael's in Red, Pink, and Green and just basic craft paint brushes.  Unfortunately, the photos don't show off the paint job really well...the lighting can be terrible in the kitchen and I am sure it does not help that the chandelier was in front of the window for the photo... ugh.  


However, this is a pretty easy paint job and no need to be an Artiste.  The more haphazard you are about it, I find the better it looks.  I layered the red and pink paint and left some parts of the petals unpainted, exposing the pale pink metal of the chandelier...this created a faux chippy, worn effect {wish it showed up better in the picture}.  I applied the same technique to the leaves, only using one shade of green.  I think I will add another shade of green though. I painted both the top and underside of petals and leaves.  I really like the gloss acrylic paint...it was just shiny enough and will make it easier to clean I think.


That's pretty much all there was to it.  This was very fun to do {wish I had more to makeover}!  Check back soon...I will FINALLY be sharing my kitchen re-do!!

Photobucket

and
 The DIY Show Off

28 comments:

Our Back Porch said...

I adore toleware. What a fabulous piece! Great job!

Back Porch Blessings,
Rebecca

Comeca Jones said...

Its the cutest!

sissie said...

I love your beautiful tole chandelier. The colors are wonderful.

hugs
Sissie

traci said...

you did a great job of painting that stacey. it is adorable.

traci said...

you did a great job of painting that stacey. it is adorable.

Claudia said...

A perfect transformation. Great job!

xo
Claudia

Kim K. said...

It's simply charming. What a lovely addition to your kitchen.

Anne Marie... said...

a great paint job!! I have a pink green one...maybe I should hang it up?? I just don't know...the pink is a bit faded - maybe I need to paint it :)

I am really thinking of putting turquoise ball fringe on the edge of my red/white cabbages and roses fabric above my kitchen sink....what do you think?

Tricia said...

What a pretty light fixture for your kitchen! The best part is--it's one of a kind! You did a great job and I can't wait to see your kitchen reveal.

birdie blue said...

didn't that turn out sweet, stacey?

xo
~molly

michelle said...

Stacey it turned out beautiful!! It looks so adorable in your home. :)
xo

Vintage Country Girl said...

It looks really great. Totally looks old-ish. I love it.

AshTreeCottage said...

Terrific! You always inspire me Stacey.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

it's awesome. don't you love that feeling that no one else in the world is going to have this hanging in their kitchen because it is custom by you???? fabulous.

michele

Vicki @ Curly Willow said...

Charming, VERY Charming! I love it!

Elyse said...

love love love this!!! nicely done, stacey!!! what a cool, one of a kind piece you have made.

xo
elyse

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

How cute! It fits in nicely with your kitchen. So fun to be settling into your new home!

~Shanon

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Sweet work! It looks absolutely charming in your window.

Cozy Little House said...

I do like it painted! Very nice!
Brenda

Bumpkin Bears said...

you did a wonderful job with that, it looks fabulous hung up :) So glad to have come across your lovely blog. Have a happy weekend, Catherine x

very merry vintage style said...

This turned out beautiful--I love chandeliers and yours is amazing! Thanks so much for linking to Share the Love Wednesday; hope you'll be back this week!
Mary

~~Carol~~ said...

It was really cute before, but you really brought it to life with the addition of the red paint! So much more charming than a plain old pendant light!
Happy REDnesday,
Carol

Heidi said...

Love it! Beautiful light fixture,,,,both before & after!
~Heidi

Neabear said...

What a neat idea! I love how it looks in front of your window. FUN!

~Linnea

Bounty Huntress said...

Ooooh! Many many thanks for posting this and I'm so lucky to have found you through Pinterest. I also have a floral chandelier that I have been wanting to do this too but for some reason I didn't think acrylic would work on metal. Totally zipping over to Michael's tomorrow. Thanks again!!

SueLovesCherries said...

I LOVE it! You did a fantastic job - such a simple project, but what a WOW factor!

Miss Kitty said...

Hi! I saw your post over at "Tatertots and Jello"...Such a darling chandy. You did a wonderful job painting it to look "chippy". I have a chandy that I need to paint too...you have inspired me to just go on and DO IT!

Emily said...

This is gorgeous! I have an old one that needs to be fixed up but I've been nervous to do it, so glad to know it can be done... now I just have to paint it!
Emily
domesticdeadline.blogspot.com