Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mini Cake Bunting For My Mini One - How to Make Cake Bunting


My daughter's First Birthday is at the end of the month, and I am planning a little party to celebrate.  I made a Mini Cake Bunting to go on top of her birthday cake.  Since the cake is not made yet, I have strung up the bunting on my kitchen shelf, so you can see it...

 {my camera takes poor, grainy pictures in low light...sorry...mama needs a new camera!  I am going to use those red and white striped straws to tie the bunting to, and place on top of the cake, which will look something like the next photo.}

Happy Birthday Fabric Cake Bunting Decoration

Ready for the super easy steps to make your own adorable Mini Cake Bunting?

Supplies:

Patterned card stock paper (scrap booking paper works great)
Scissors
Ruler
Glue Stick
Twine or very narrow ribbon
Pencil


 Step 1

Create A Diamond Shape Pattern:

I made mine by making a 1 inch on all sides tiriangle, and then made
a mirror image of that triangle to create a diamond shape.
I then cut out the diamond shape and this became my pattern for the bunting flags.

{You can probably create a fancy mathematical grid of triangles/diamonds in some fashion, and then cut out all the shapes, therefore getting rid of the use for a pattern, if that's what you want to do.  I am not very mathematically inclined, this was easiest for me.}

Step 2

Using your pattern, TRACE diamond shapes onto the "wrong" side 
of your paper using a pencil.  I traced 18 diamonds for my bunting
{for 2 strings of 9 flags}, but you can do as many or as little as you like.

Step 3

CUT out all of your diamond shapes and then FOLD
them in half, point to point, patterned side facing out.


 Step 4

Using a GLUE stick, open up a triangle and cover the entire inside with glue.  Lay one 20" {or length of your choice} piece of twine or ribbon along the folded seem leaving room at the end to tie your bunting up {I left 4 inches}, cover twine/ribbon with a layer of glue from the stick.  FOLD the triangle, press firmly to seal.  Run your finger nail over the folded seem to secure the twine/ribbon well.


Step 5

Repeat Step 4 until you have completed 2 strings of bunting flags.
{I made two 20" strings, each with 9 flags}
I eyeballed the spacing of the flags, but you can measure the spacing if you 
really, really want to.

That's It!!!

These sell for around $15-20 on Etsy, and mine cost nest to nothing.  I had the supplies already from other projects.  You could make the same thing but with fabric and by sewing it instead, too.  Ah, I just love me some Bunting!

I'm looking forward to putting the bunting on top of the cake, come party time!  I am planning on making a Banana Layer Cake, with either Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting. If anyone has any good recipes, please leave them in the comment section or email me at asortoffairytalegirl@yahoo.com , thanks!

The theme for the party is...
Redandaqua

My inspiration comes fro the blog, allsorts, which you should most definitely check out sometime.  Here are some more lovely inspiration photos from allsorts ...

Cupcake-liners

Heart

Camper

I'll post the party pics after the party...I hope it doesn't rain and I hope the Peanut has a great 1st Birthday!



Photobucket

24 comments:

Comeca Jones said...

Love the colors!

Cozy Little House said...

Stacey, it's perfect! And adorable. The baby will be enchanted.
Brenda

Something Nice and Pretty said...

That is adorable and so is that sweetie of yours!

Rondell

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

I just love this and your color scheme is my one of my favorites. Your little bundle is just too cute.

rosaspicks said...

The Peanut is super cute! And what a great idea to make her a cake with tiny bunting on it! Must be tempting to leave it in the kitchen too though!

Urban Farmgirl said...

Oh my gosh...she is the cutest!!! Love those cheeks! ;o)

And your cake is going to be adorable! I think I am just going to have to steal this idea!

Did you see I am having a giveaway? Come on over!

Mary

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

How can she not have a great birthday with all the work Mommy is putting into preparing for the celebration? :-)


DAWN TO DUSK

Yellow’s the color I wear at dawn
When dancing dewdrops spangle the lawn.

Red is the color I wear at dusk
When earth and sky are dry as a husk

And nothing stirs—not even a wing
Of bat or swallow or anything!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


Boatman in Red

traci said...

she is soooo adorable. such an exciting time. love the colors. perfect for your sweet little girl. i am loving that glamper too.

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

love the red and aqua and used this theme for our son's poolside grad party last summer! the bunting is awesome, Stacey, and so are your photos! it's those sweet little details that we moms take the time to execute behind the scenes that make all the difference, dontcha think? can't wait to see the photos!

michele

Tasha said...

Soooo Cute! I'd love for you to share this at my Pinkalicious Thursday Party!

http://www.frugaliciousme.com/2011/06/pinkalicious-thursday-blog-party-6.html

XOXO,

Aimee @ Just Kidding Around Atlanta said...

SO Sweet - love the papers you used!! I just made one of those for my daughter's (17th!)birthday this past weekend! I didn't have a clue what I was doing - but it wasn't too bad!! I used triangles - next time I'll use diamonds like you did - that would be a lot easier to keep them glued closed, lol! : ) Hope your daughter's party is wonderful!! : )

PS - new follower, too!

Aimee @ Justkiddingaroundatlanta.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday to your little peanut! What a fun party and I love the great colors.
Hugs, Cindy

A Few Pennies said...

I loved your post! That pretty cake and banner is so adorable and smiles full of yum! Love your blog.

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Your daughter is ADORABLE! What a little sweetie! How fun to be planning her first birthday party.

~Shanon

Pam - diy Design Fanatic said...

Super cute! What cheerful colors for a party!

birdie blue said...

love the bunting, stacey. happiest of first birthday wishes to miss maggie.

i bet her party is magical!

xo
~molly

At The Picket Fence said...

First of all...your daughter is adorable! :-) And that mini bunting is adorable too. So simple and sweet and I can't wait to see the rest of the pics from her party. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

meg said...

thank you so much for your sweet comments on my daughter's vintage birthday party :) looks like you've got some VERY sweet ideas... and your little girl is ADORABLE!!!! have so much fun! :)

michelle said...

Oh my gosh she is just adorable Stacy!!! I love the colors you chose, what a beautiful little party you are planning. :)

Ava said...

Great idea :) I'm sure with a cake topper like that her birthday is bound to be gorgeous xx Ava

very merry vintage style said...

I love this project... thanks so much for linking to my Share the Love Wednesday link party. You are featured this week! Stop by and grab a feature button; hope you'll be back to link up again.
Mary

Boho Farm and Home said...

What a cutie! I love it all!
xo
Caroline

x♥x♥, gina said...

a classic color scheme! Love the bunting - i have recently started grabbing paint samples /chips - whatever those little cardboard things are called in the paint section of stores. They are GREAT for making mini buntings, paint chip notebooks and more - and they are free!!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

You just got me thinking that I should make these in advance...School starts for my kids soon, and also for me too (if I haven't already mentioned, I'm going back to school...very PART TIME of course, for a change in career)...so, I'll be so busy next month, so making these in advance would be a good idea. I'm going to make mine with fabric & sew. But I like your idea with using the paper straws vs. the dowel. Anyway, I'm so enjoying going through your old posts. ;)

Hugs,
Jessie