Monday, June 27, 2011

A Sort Of {new} Fairytale Kitchen


Hello!  I am finally ready to share my kitchen makeover with you!!  We moved into the house (our first house) at the end of March 2011 and this is the transformation that has taken place over the last three months.  It all started with the cabinets, then painting the walls followed.  We have yet to replace the counters and sink...maybe this winter or spring we will do that.  I have no desire to have the kitchen torn apart right now, as I am pretty sure that would send me over the edge (on which I teeter-totter on daily). So let's start the tour, shall we?

Here's some Pretty before we get to the Ugly (the before pics) ...

{Looking into the dining room, there is no eat-in kitchen area}

Ok, here it is...the almighty hideous kitchen before...
 Please note I am not responsible for any of this insanity, I was just
lucky *wink* to inherit it, and yes, that is safari style elephant wallpaper
you see on on the walls and ceiling.  What?!?  Who does that??
It was the worst.


This is a tiny...er cozy kitchen, so I have no idea why the biggest refrigerator
on earth was chosen for this space.  There was an an even bigger pantry beside it!  I get the storage purpose the pantry served, but it's just waaaaay too huge for this little kitchen.  I thought of painting and keeping it, but in the end it went...out to the garage.  We are keeping the refrigerator for now, even though i really want one of these...


{The glass front cabinets I was happy to inherit}

Here are the rest of the After photos...

 {You can read about my Faux Tole Chandelier Makeover here}

 {Maybe this sink will become a Farmhouse Sink someday}

 {I probably shouldn't point this out, but I really need to paint the 
ceiling cap on the chandelier}

 {Here is a close up of the current counter.  It's granite tile.  not my choice, but
I am fine living with it for a little while.  I'm thinking maybe butcher block, corian, or quartz counter tops someday.  what do you think?}



The ceiling light is a an original Schoolhouse opal glass shade, purchased on Etsy for $29, and it is attached to a $6 glass shade holder kit from Westinghouse, purchased at Menard's.  I came close to ordering something similar but much more expensive from Schoolhouse Electric.  
So glad this little DIY worked out instead...more money left over for
 vintage goodies!

 {The rug is in indoor/outdoor rug that I purchased online from One King's Lane, a fantastic website for designer and chic bargains}


 Here is the other side of the kitchen, where you can see that the big pantry is no longer.  The big refrigerator still remains for now though.  I gave up some storage by getting rid of the pantry, so now I store my pans in a basket under the table.  Below, you can see the width of the kitchen...it's tiny as I mentioned, but I'm no star chef, so it's okay by me.





{I still plan to paint the interior of the glass cabinets...trying to decide whether to do a color or white like the rest of the cabinets.  I'm hoping painting will brighten the inside up a bit, as they face the black refrigerator}

This makeover was done with pretty much just paint and cabinet hardware.  
I used Kilz primer on the cabinets, Martha Stewart paint in Picket Fence (cabinets) and Lemon Ice {walls}, Martha Stewart hardware (bin pulls) in nickel finish, and the handles are in a nickel finish as well, by Liberty.  All supplies are from Home Depot.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of my Sort Of New Kitchen !

and



Photobucket

39 comments:

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Sweeeeet! That little vignette above your table is so sweet! (I think it gave me a cavity!) Your kitchen mini-makeover is fantastic. The elephant picture didn't load for me, but your description is enough. Just charming! Enjoy your new kitchen!

traci said...

oh my gosh stacey. it looks amazing. so so much better. i love all your vintage goodies. you did an amazing job painting the cabinets.

Leslie said...

I love this makeover! You are inspiring me! We're going to be moving to another city in about a year, and all the homes in our price range have smallish kitchens, but you have given me some wonderful ideas to make them adorable! (The glass front cabinet, cute rugs, vintage inspired peices...)

Enjoy your bright kitchen!

Tricia said...

What a great job you did on your kitchen makeover! It looks great. I especially like the little shelf hanging on the wall by the fridge. What a great place to display little "knick knacks!" Thanks for sharing your finished project.

Diane Mars said...

Darling, I love all the details, that drop leaf table is just darling, I need to give my kitchen a re-fresher... oxox, Diane

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

my favorite vignette is def the enamel table with those sweet shelves and your vintage treasures above. i love the white--so clean and fresh. loving the dishcloth on your range--looks very Rachel Ashwell, do tell me more.

i've got quartz that's super easy to live with, but my first choice would be carrera. i love how it looks with white cabinets (mine are lineny white so it didn't work) and it is prob cheaper than quartz.

hugs.

michele

michelle said...

What a happy, beautiful kitchen you have created! I love it and I love the colors! Your scale is so adorable, the red and white are perfect. :) I am in love with you rug and I am going to go check out that site. :) That frig would look so perfect in here, maybe one day. :)
Enjoy your kitchen!!
xoxo

rosaspicks said...

You must be thrilled! It's looking much better! And if I were you, I think I'd paint the inside of the cabinets turquoise. To go with your other accents and your someday fridge...

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

You have done a great job on the kitchen makeover! I couldn't see the before photo (I think the one with the elephant wallpaper?) but I sure do love the afters!

~Shanon

Sherry from Alabama said...

What a beautiful room in which to cook up wonderful memories for your family! I love the countertops, I wouldn't change them out at all! I want to paint my oak cabinets so bad, but haven't convinced my sweet hubby yet. :)

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

I think it's perfect!! Great job!!

I love that little table, is that new? I don't remember it in past pics or did I just miss it? Anyhoo is cute!

Vicki @ vickidesigner said...

Very Charming! I love all the little sweet touches you added. So glad you got rid of that giant pantry. I had one in my little kitchen too. Why? I'd rather move around easily than bump into my storage unit. LOL. Cute, cute, cute. I love it!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love what you've done so far, Stacy! Having oak cabinets myself right now, I am wishing for white cabinets when we downsize {hopefully this year}.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Love your new kitchen, you did such a wonderfu job transforming it!!!
XO
Kristin

Jennifer Rizzo said...

What a huge difference! It looks great!

Annika said...

You did a great job on this. Love all the little details everywhere.

For the Love of a Cottage said...

Lovely vintage kitchen. I am 100% in agreement with the vintage frig. I mentioned this to my husband and he said no way. I love it, though. Also, I think your counter tops are beautiful. I wanted butcher block, however David Weekly didn't offer that. I chose Blue Pearl Granite instead. I didn't get my way with white cabinets and hardwood floor.

Hugs,
Jan

birdie blue said...

it looks fabulous, stacey. what a tremendous transformation.

have a happy fourth.
xo
molly

Anne Marie... said...

wow!! such cute stuff! I can totally see that blue fridge in there

Peaches and Maple said...

Well done to you for all your hard work, your kitchen looks wonderful! You must be very proud :)

Dreamgoddess said...

Wow, what a big difference you've made in the kitchen! I love all your vintage goodies and the shelf over your table is divine!

Shelia said...

Oh, how pretty your kitchen turned out to be! Good for you and all of your hard work - it's so nice and charming!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pamela Gordon said...

Your kitchen makeover is just sweet! I love the little table and the cute wire rack above it with all the vintage dishes. The white cupboards look great with all your vintage goodies! Great job!

Deb said...

Love love love your kitchen makeover Stacey...it looks so good!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my kitchen too! I really do love the MS Corian countertops...I have Shoreline but the Sea Salt is beautiful too! Good luck with your decision! ~Deb~

Our Back Porch said...

Wow! You've worked had and it sure paid off. Your kitchen is awesome...charming...inviting...fabulous! Have a most lovely weekend!

Waving from Our Back Porch,
Rebecca

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Your kitchen looks so charming now, Stacey. That wallpaper was crazy! Your cabinets appear as if they are in good condition and the tops are uneven, which is cool. I think the counter tops are pretty, too.

At The Picket Fence said...

It looks absolutely fantastic Stacey! Like a charming vintage farmhouse kitchen. I love all of the details and you did a fabulous job. Thanks so much for linking it up to Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

At The Picket Fence said...

It turned out fabulous Stacey! I love all of the details. I'm still working on finishing mine up. It seemed to have hit a snag when it came time to install my new counters and sink that are sitting in my garage. lol Thank you for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!

Heather

Debra said...

It looks great! It's amazing what some paint can do, isn't it? Everything looks so much better with the white paint. I love corian and quartz.

Sibylle said...

looks beautiful!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So charming!! I love your kitchen - it came out wonderful! Gotta love paint for a great transformation!! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Stuff and Nonsense said...

it never ceases to amaze me what a little (or a lot) of paint can do to a space...love how your kitchen 'grew' after whitening the cabinets...also loving the red chandy and little pot hook in the ceiling...ideas are germinating....visiting from modern country's linky.

alison

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

How different do your before and after's look? VERY!! I almost can't believe it's the same kitchen. What a great job!

I'm sure I've signed up to follow you before but somehow it's means erased...so I've done it again!!

Thank you so much for linking up to my Paint, Please link party.

Sarahx

adventuresindinner said...

Ack! I too was "blessed" with a lovely kitchen in our house. We had gold and silver coffee and tea pots as the wallpaper. Very pretty. It's amazing what several gallons of paint was able to do.

Love the chandelier especially.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Stacey, This is just so fun and cute. I love so many things about your kitchen . . . great work.

I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

Fondly,
Glenda

Farmer's Wyfe said...

WELL DONE!!! What a difference!!! I LOVE your kitchen...esp. the vintage touches. I'm developing a love for vintage myself! :) I'm a new follower.

Pamela said...

What an adorable kitchen! You did a great job and that fridge would be to die for!

stefanie said...

you did such an awesome job...its perfectly gorgeous!

Audrey said...

Amazing ... love it.
Audrey Z. at Timeless Treasures.