Thursday, July 28, 2011

You've Got Mail - Vintage Mail Orgainizer

I bought this section of old picket fence at a local flea market with the intent to do something totally different with it.  Then I decided on a whim to attach metal baskets and a hook to create a "mail center" on the wall in my very narrow entry hallway...a hallway that makes it really hard to take pictures in.  Here is out it turned out...

{metal baskets from Hobby Lobby on clearance, red hook from 
Anthropologie, on sale 1/2 off}

{I originally had a silver metal basket up, as you can kind of see in the 
right bottom corner of the pic.  it just didn't seem to go, so I decided on
the white basket instead that you see in the first photo}

{I was lucky the fencing just happened to work out on this small wall space, as I had intended to use the fencing elsewhere originally}


I measured halfway between the two horizontal wood pieces on both ends of the fence, made my marks, and then drilled holes though the wood.  Then she was ready to be hung on the wall!

{check out my daughter's little shoe in the middle of the floor...haha!}

After the fence was up on the wall, I added the hook and baskets using nails and screws, depending on what the piece called for.  I now have a handy place to put all the mail, since a table would not fit well in entry hallway.  I like this much better than a having a table, where I know I would just let the mail pile up.  This makes it more organized for me and doubles as a place to hang keys, a hat, or small purse.  

Also, I just want to say to any of you gals out there who want to tackle some DIY projects that require power tools and a bit of muscle, that you can totally do it {picture "Rosie The Riveter" here}!  I do all of this stuff by myself, with no help, or even input from my husband...not that he wouldn't help...I pretty much just go and do it myself, that's just how I roll...LOL!  Plus, I kinda like power tools.  I know lot's of you Blogger DIY ladies out there have no problem doing these things yourself either, I just wanted to encourage anyone who might be hesitant to try without the help of their hubby/boyfriend.

{wishing the only mail I got was my favorite mags and cards, and not bills!}

Photobucket

24 comments:

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love this! It is so adorable! How fun to have a place to set the mail, especially the fun magazines :) I do it all myself, too. My husband works out of town a lot and when I get an idea I want it done NOW and not later. (and I do it better most of the time ;0 !!)

~Shanon

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Ooh, I love this! Ever since we moved, our mail has been piling up on a table!!! Great idea, and way to encourage more DIY projects! You are so going to inspire me to do so something soon! ;) P.S. Thanks for nominating me at a Cozy Little House! ;)

Hugs,
Jessie

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

What a cute idea Stacey!! I just love it and it is perfect there! Now I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a piece of old fence ;)

traci said...

great idea stacey. i have a few of them outside. hmmmmm.

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh girl you know you had me at "picket fence..." in your title at Inspiration Friday! This is just beyond adorable! You are so very creative. Thank you for sharing it with us...putting it on our Facebook Page right now!

Heather

Vintage Country Girl said...

Very, very cute. I like the white basket with the flowers. It looks very vintage! LOVE the fence. Good for you.

AshTreeCottage said...

What a great idea and so cute!!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

PS: I think your little girl's shoe in the pic is precious.

Michele @ {Primp} said...

so cute & charming! thanks for sharing!

SarahB said...

That looks good, really unusual and clever use of space!!

S x

Vicki @ CurlyWillow said...

Oh, I love that! And just the perfect fit. Isn't that always amazing... buy it, hold on to it, and then that inspiration comes and you find the perfect spot. And congrats on the feature on "At the picket fence" FB page. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Pamela said...

Super cute!

Deon said...

What a fabulous idea! It's absolutely gorgeous. :)

ANNE said...

This caught my eye over at Pink Postcard... love it!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

What an oh so adorable way to bring the vintage garden feel inside the cottage. Love it!

Sherry said...

First of all I love picket fences and secondly I love what your did with yours. It is great to have your mail organization up on the wall, out of the way and it is a perfect fit on your small wall. Thanks for sharing.

Jami said...

that looks amazing! great job!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This amazing post added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

Bonita Rose said...

this is so so beautiful and practical... love it! thks for sharing with us! xo here fr very merry vintage!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
very merry vintage style said...

So cute--love the pickets! Thanks for linking to Share the Love Wednesday. Hope you'll be back this week!
Mary

Amy Kinser said...

Very cute idea!

Rachel In Wonderland said...

What a great idea! I am definitely going to do this!

vintageshabbychicks said...

Oh I just love this...I can never get enough og anything using chippy fenceposts!! Great job...just became a new follower...Julie

Ellie said...

Wow that fence is so cool. Well done. Consider me inspired. Thought I still have to get comfortable with power tools.....