Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cabbages and Roses Fabric Pillow Applique

Remember my post about sewing, you know, the one about how I want to learn to sew? Well, I have been at it and look at my very first sewing project...


Isn't amazing that I can make a pillow cover with piping already? JUST KIDDING!  I already had the plain red pillow cover, but I did do the cross applique on it.  The lovely fabric is from the Cabbages and Roses Northcote Range for Moda Fabrics. 


I ordered a charm pack of 5 x 5 inch squares of the fabric on Etsy and patched them together to form a cross {I'm kinda into this "medic red cross" type graphic right now}.  I then applied Heat n' Bond to the back of the cross to make it a bit more sturdy.  Next, I ironed the cross to the pillow cover and machine zig zagged stitched it around the edges.


I for sure need to improve my sewing skills, but my intent was for the pillow to have a "homespun" look, so I guess it's good that I am a novice!  

I am totally hooked on sewing now, I just love it!  I don't know how advanced I'll get with it, but I am having lots of fun whipping up simple little pretties.  Next up are some pillows made from vintage sugar sacks bought at the flea market recently. Gotta go fire up that machine now!

Photobucket
and

9 comments:

traci said...

you are good. i love their fabric. keep up the good work.

birdie blue said...

well done, stacey. it's sweet, especially for your first sewing foray.

xo
molly

michelle said...

I think you did fabulous! I love the fabric and the red cross symbol. Soon you will be doing pipping my friend. :)
xoxo

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Stacy, that looks so cute! I love the mix of fabrics. And the pink thread looks great with it. You are learning quickly!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Yay Stacey! You are much more ahead than I am...I just have a book...and I don't even have a machine yet! lol My birthday is next week, so maybe that will be on my wish list this year??? lol Anyway, love what you've done, can't wait to see what you have in store next!

XO's,
Jessie

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Congratulations!! I love hearing about first sewing projects. Wonderful job!

Brid said...

This looks lovely, well done!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Really appreciate you linking up this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

Sherry said...

Great job on your pillow! I love Moda fabrics. Thanks for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
Sherry