Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DIY Pendant Lampshade Fixture

Check out this Shady Lady!  She is the best kind of new...the kind that is FREE!  Yep, I went shopping in my basement again and found her sitting there on a shelf, waiting for a floor lamp to be paired up with, when all of a sudden...LIGHT BULB!  I knew just what to do with her and it didn't involve a floor lamp.


There she is, my new DIY Pendant Shade Fixture!


You see, I inherited this chandelier with the new house we bought in March 2011.  It had modern white shades over the bulbs to start, so I removed the shades and I liked it better right away, but it left the chandelier with exposed white (now painted metallic bronze) ribbed sockets...me no likey, not pretty.  I thought, hey no problem, I'll just put cute shades over the bulbs anyway.  Think again, Stacey.  The way the fixture is designed, the curled part near the bulbs/sockets gets in the way of any shade I tried.  They just wouldn't sit right.


At this point the ribbed sockets were still white and I had to think of something to cover that hideousness up.  Sooooo, I painted them metallic bronze in an effort to match the rest of the chandelier.  It turned out to be not the best match, but it was better than white.  I lived with it this way for a while, thinking of what else I could do to disguise the now, not-so-great paint job.  I considered taking it down and spraying the entire thing white, but then I would still be left with those ugly sockets.  I came very close to covering them with ribbon, and that's when I got the idea to scrap the chandelier altogether and and put up the Pendant Shade!

{detail of ugly socket}

{the shade itself...looking like a Mad-Hatter...was a freebie from a retail trade showroom that I used to work in at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago.  Unfortunately, I do not remember what company made it.  I used to have it on a floor lamp.}

Here's how my DIY Pendant Shade Fixture was made...

You will need a lamp shade that has a top like this 


Or an IKEA shade that was made to go with the IKEA cord kit...you could totally embellish a plain one if you don't find a style you like
{IKEA cord light kit, $3.99...ok, so this light fixture was almost free}

You will also need wire cutters if you plan on hard wiring your 
Pendant Shade into the ceiling

Since I was hard wiring mine, I cut the plug off and stripped the plastic away
to reveal the two wires inside.  Again, skip all this if you are just going to 
plug yours in and swag-hang from the ceiling.


Due to the fact that that my shade was not exactly the right kind to use with the
IKEA cord kit, I would initially not have been able to create this fixture, BUT,
since I was hard wiring, cutting the plug off allowed me to "thread" the wire up through the shade.  Now, not to worry, there are other pendant cord kits online that I am pretty sure you can use with shades like mine.  Otherwise, just get a shade at IKEA that goes with the cord kit.  Urban Outfitters also has a kit and their own shades as well. Me, being the impatient one I am, thought it much quicker to just make the IKEA kit work with my shade!  Like I said though, I would need an another kind of cord light kit if I was going to plug in, instead of hard wire.

{threading the cord up through the shade}

{this is how the kit rests within my lampshade}

It's just a matter of hanging the Pendant Shade Fixture up after you have assembled it together.  Lucky for me, my dad does all my lighting switch-outs!  Not lucky for him though I suppose...


There she is all assembled and hung up!  
I covered the plan white cord with vintage lace by simply tying and wrapping it around the cord.  Someday I think I will sew a cord slip cover for it though.  

Pretty easy right?!  The possibilities are endless....you could even use a wire basket upside down for a more vintage industrial look too, or a wicker basket would look great also!

XO,
Stacey

34 comments:

Anne Marie said...

great job Stacey!! Looking forward to seeing you Sat! I'm coming with my sister, Mom and a meeting up with a few friends -

where's your booth? just email me : ndfmama@gmail.com

birdie blue said...

love the lampshade, stacey. very sweet.

best of luck to you this weekend, my friend.

xo
~molly

Diane Mars said...

very very cute! You are amazing!

Karen said...

Dear Stacey,

I like what you did with the lamp and I admire your creativity! I am new to blogging and I love to visit your blog and look at all your lovely ideas.

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

I love it!!! You are so nifty at these types of things! ;) And can I say I love that chippy cabinet in the background?!?! ;)

XO's,
Jessie

traci said...

well look at that. very cute.

can't wait to meet you saturday. what building are you going to be in again?

Hydrangeas and Harmony said...

That's a great fit for that room. I love the fabric!

Comeca Jones said...

Oh this one is so cute!

Pamela Gordon said...

Very sweet lampshade and a great idea! I like your dining room too. Blessings, Pamela

Denise said...

Cute! It looks perfect in your eclectic super awesome dining room!

Debra @ Common Ground said...

This is so totally wonderful!! the shade just MAKES this room! brings all the textures, colors and pieces together. really sooooo fun! thanks so much for linking up with VIF, xoxo Debra

At The Picket Fence said...

Ok...that is SERIOUSLY adorable!! I love the fabric on the shade and it could not be more perfect in that space. You did a fabulous job creating that Stacey and we are so glad you shared it with us at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

adventuresindinner said...

Lovely! Happy new follower and looking forward to seeing the evolution. Hope that you have time to checkout my piece of blogland soon.

Heather@The Black's Best said...

Absolutely adorable! I've wanted to try this forever and may have to now that you've given such a great tutorial on what to do. Thanks!

Lori said...

Completely adorable. I have a shade that is also just waiting for the right lamp and NOW I think I'm going to try this instead. Thanks for sharing.

peace

Stuff and Nonsense said...

such a sweet and simple...and cheap...way to gussy up your dining space...love it...thanks for sharing with fridays unfolded!

alison

Laura said...

That is AMAZING!
I am sitting here wondering if I could actually learn to re-wire something??

Enjoyed visiting and I am a new follower.

I linked to the same Stuff and Nonsense party.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Pamela said...

Your shade is soooo cute!!

Becca said...

I'd love it if you'd come link this up at my Home and Family Friday linky party!

Becca
becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

Sherry said...

Your light is wonderful! I love the fabric you choose on the shade. It is so cute! Nice tutorial on how you did it. Thanks for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Sommer said...

Fabulous! I love pendant lamps =) I also like how you hid the cord in the sleeve. I hope you will show this off at my VIP party today!http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/vip-party-22.html

Erin said...

That lampshade is to die for!!! I absolutely love it!

Your whole dining room is really awesome. And that shade just really brings all the other parts together.

Kimberly Moore said...

This is sooo great!! I've been wanting to tackle a light fixture! Just love this.

ReFresh ReStyle said...

So cute! I love your whole dining area!
Debbie

Claire said...

This looks adorable-love your idea-I'm a follower!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So cute~ love it! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Stacey said...

LURVE it!!! I am a new follower...we have the same first name;) Can't wait to peek around some more!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

My dear.. you home is SO going to be featured in a Magazine one day!!!

malia said...

Hi Stacey,
I featured this beauty at a A Crafty Soiree on Thursday. Thanks for sharing! xo Malia

Kat from California said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to get an IKEA kit and shade to fuss with. For now I'll just plug it in, but eventually it would be nice if it was "connected". Thanks for sharing!

Pamela Bates of Mercantile Muse said...

Love it!

Mandy said...

I love this light and your tutorial is awesome. I'm a new follower. Love receiving your posts in my mailbox!
I'm hosting my 1st Link Party and would love it if you would swing by and share this project.
www.projectqueen.org

Kathy said...

Stacy, This is fabulous! I love the look of the shade over the chandeir! Thank you for sharing the step-by-step instructions! You did a great job - Thank you for sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Atelier de Charo said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Hugs
Charo