Monday, September 12, 2011

ScotchBlue Tape Painting Party - Painted Union Jack Chair

Won't you join me and few other fabulous Bloggers today for the ScotchBlue Painting Party?  Yes?  Woo Hoo!
Let's get the party started...

With the help of ScotchBlue Painter's Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector, myself and the following Bloggers all completed DIY projects:

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest 
Rachael @ Lovely Crafty Home 

Here's my project that I did with the very awesome ScotchBlue Painter's Tape


I painted a Union Jack on my $8 red chair from the Flea Market,
and then distressed, and wax finished it.




Here's the before of the chair, in it's red and blue/gray chippy paint



I prepped with ScothBlue Painter's Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector


After prepping, I mapped out the Union Jack.  I  drew mine in marker, so it would show up in the photo, but I suggest drawing it in pencil {see the oops line I did, and can't erase...at least I was able to to paint over it}.  The cross of the Union Jack I measured out to be 3 inches wide and the "X" is 2.5 inches wide.  Then, I taped off part of the "X" and painted it in a creamy white {left over interior house paint}.


I let dry, peeled off tape, and repeated the same steps for the other half 
of the "X", and ended up with this...


Notice how ScotchBlue Painter's Tape leaves super sharp paint line edges...so much sharper than any other painter's tape I have used.  Seriously.  
This tape is awesome!


Next, I taped off the part of cross on the Union Jack


and then painted it in a Robin's Egg Blue color, 
again, left over interior house paint.


I let dry, then peeled tape off


Then, I repeated the same steps for the other half of the cross, 
and this is how it looked after all was done


I could have left the Union Jack just like this, all sharp and pretty, but I felt the need to rough it up a bit, so I got my sander out, and distressed the Union Jack.  Whether you choose super sharp lines, or distressed finish, ScotchBlue Painter's Tape really helped me tackle this project!


You like?

The chair happily lives in my office/craft/sewing room 
{sorry the room is  kind of  a mess in the photo}


I'm so glad ScotchBlue contacted me to try out their painter's tape, which inspired me to do this project...I've been wanting to paint something 
with a Union Jack on it for awhile now.

If you would like a chance to win a sample of ScotchBlue Painter's Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector, here's how:

* 1st Entry, leave a comment on this post of how you would use the tape in your next  project 

2nd Entry, Tweet "@scotchbluebrand I want #supersharppaintlines for my next project!" Make sure to mention the brand and include the hashtag so your entry is counted

Enter To Win Through Thursday, September 15th at 12:00 PM EST 

For more fantastic projects, inspiration, and tutorials, head over to my fellow party pals at:


Check out the ScotchBlue Facebook Page and "Like" them to see today's Paint Party schedule and any upcoming Paint Parties.

Thank You ScotchBlue for inviting me to the party!

Photobucket
*ScotchBlue Brand reached out to me to participate in the ScotchBlue Painting Party to celebrate the launch of their new ScotchBlue Painter's Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector.  My post represents my honest experience with ScotchBlue Painter's Tape.  I am not being paid for my opinion, but I did receive ScotchBlue Painter's Tape to assist in completion of my project.


29 comments:

AshTreeCottage said...

It's great Stacey!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Vintage Market Place said...

OMG LOVE THIS!!
I must try it.
The colors you have chosen are perfect.
Funny Union Jacks are the weekend project, i just finish my union jack curtains too.
LOL
Amy

SimpleThingsSweetLife said...

Fun post! A few questions:
1. What is the history or background of your love for Union Jacks? Just curious! I'm fascinated by the UK.
2. What do you store in those darling little vintage suitcases on your sewing table? Craft supplies? I'm thinking I should employ more of a stacking decorative system like that for some of my things.

Thanks! Blessings!
Donna

michele said...

perfect! love it, stacey! i can imagine this chair inspiring an entire room's scheme! keep painting! (i am up to my elbows in paint at the moment, and someday in the future you shall see the fruits of my labor on the blog!).

love.

michele

Michele @ {Primp} said...

Love it! I just finished a union jack stool so I'm a little partial to them but yours is fabulous--I love your take on it! If you have time I would love it if you'd stop by and share this at my linky party starting Wed.

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Great idea. I want to pain a chevron wall.

DragonesPlumas said...

Wonderful! I love reusing old things and making them new again!

Vintage Country Girl said...

adorable. I must try a union jack something or other. Everyone is doing it! The tape IS wonderful. I use it all the time when I paint. I have ALOT of trim to paint around. Good job.

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

Stacey, I love this chair! I like the Union Jack.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Awesome! What a cool idea. Very smart move to distress the Union Jack, so it matches the look of the rest of the chair!

(By the way, I was also part of today's painting party, so you don't need to include me in your giveaway :)

Debby said...

I need to paint my bedroom. I'd like to paint a stripe around the wall.

cheryl @ nefotlak. said...

LOVE this chair! so simple yet totally awesome!
hmmm - now to find me a chair......!
xox

trumatter said...

I just found your blog through Michele from Hello Lovely and Im loving it! O, and I love that red burst chair too. :) Its stinking sweet.

Elyse said...

WAY COOL!

cath would be proud (and i am, too)!

what would i do with painter's tape? what wouldn't i do?! LOL i'm actually thinking of painting a mat at the floor of my front door. that whole project keeps getting shuffled around though but a girl can dream ... ;)

xo
elyse

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You did a great job!

GIFTS

I’ve nothing to give but my heart and head;
No colors have I but yellow and red.

Please take what I give as tokens of peace:
And with these small gifts may your joy increase!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Sky Splashed with Red

LV said...

I have never seen anyone that did that. How interesting.

Linh C. said...

Great job and I love using up old paint too! I'm getting ready to paint my daughter's room and I'd love to try the tape to get crisp clean lines for the baseboards/ceilings.

Vicki @ CurlyWillow said...

Stacey, that is so cute! Very creative! Thanks for sharing... Barb and I are COOKED! (LOL!) But we still have our sense of humor. We leave for the lake cottage tomorrow to set it all up and get ready for Saturday. Have fun in Ohio!!

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Very cool chair Stacey!

Ellen said...

What a nice easy clean way to add some character to a piece. Your chair looks awesome, I love the vintage look you created to match the rest of the chair.
Hugs,
Ellen

Karena said...

Love this idea! I would love for you to share it on my link party this Friday at cookienut.blogspot.com

very merry vintage style said...

Love your chair! Great shade choices on the red white and blue and the distressing makes it! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!

Kate in Austin said...

Great idea. I have a nekked wooden chair sitting in my garage. I have been watching for a small dresser to do a Union Jack, but you just inspired me to use the wooden chair. i would use the tape to do the exact same project as you! Kate

Rhissanna said...

Union Jack! Yay! I'm hoping to decorate my guest room in red, white and baby blue, but the real reason I need nice sharp lines from a painter's tape is for the detailing in my Steampunk Sherlock Holmes' study I'm making for my hubby for his birthday. Some Victorian London in Arkansas.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice! The red really makes it pop.

Kristal said...

Hi, visiting from Furniture Feature Friday. I love the chair! I have got to do a Union Jack on something but haven't decided on a victim yet. Yours turned out great!

XoXo,
Kristal

Dina said...

I love this! What a fun transformation and a fun place to rest your bottom ;)

bj said...

Just as cute as can be. I have a chair that I would LOVE to do a Union Jack on..I'm scared..I have not ONE SINGLE crafty bone in my entire, olden body...but, I sure do want a chair like this....:))

Rhissanna said...

Hi! I got my tape! Thank you so much! As soon as I get some taping done, I'll post some photos!