Friday, October 14, 2011

Enlighten Me, Will Ya? - Cage and Industrial Lighting

My new obsession is Vintage Style Cage and Industrial Lighting, and I have been on the internet prowl for all kinds of these lights!  I'm planning on switching out more of the bland fixtures that came with my house, soon, and this is what is inspiring me now...

Pinned Image
{Can't find the source for these, but Anthropologie has some that are similar}

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
{Previously available at Wisteria}

Pinned Image
Love this 5-wire pendant light!

Pinned Image

MAIN IMAGE
Have you lost your mind over this one?  Soooo Amazing!

Antique Key Plate Pendant Light

Pinned Image
{Tutorial for this HERE}

Sparkling Ice Blue and Crystal Clear Mason Jar Chandelier - Rustic UpCycled Wedding - Eco Friendly Original BootsNGus Design
Have loved these Ball jar lights for awhile now

I was so happy to find this online shop, Junkyard Lighting, with so many awesome Vintage, Industrial, pendant lights, lamps, and chandeliers!  
The next couple photos are all from there...

product img 344 400x299 Shop
product img 272 400x299 Shop

product img 330 400x299 Shop
Pretty cool, right?  The prices at this shop are all really reasonable too!

The DIY-er in me wants to figure out how to make one of these myself, and I have found some pretty great resources for doing so...

10 FT. BROWN TWISTED TWO CONDUCTOR 18 GAUGE WIRE FABRIC LAMP CORDSET WITH ANTIQUE STYLE POLARIZED PLUG.
Grand Brass has great parts for putting vintage style lighting together, including cloth covered cords, like the one above.  They have vintage style sockets 
and a bulb cage too.

Shandells has cloth cord pendant and swag kits, so you can make these...


The kits are $29 and $39, custom orders are welcome too.

The only thing I CANNOT find are the wood handles on lights like this...

product img 376 400x299 Shop

So frustrating!  I don't know what they are called, so I can't really do the best search for them...I've tried all kinds of searches for them, but no luck.  Does anyone know where to get these or what they are called?  
I know the lights themselves are called, "Trouble Lights" most of the time.

Grassroots Modern also has some good info and a tutorial on making cage lights like the one's above.

Anyone make a cage light similar to any of the pictures on this post, or have other good resources for these vintage, industrial, cagey, farmhouse awesome lights?

Photobucket
P.S.  Totally unrelated to this post, but I found this new blog recently, and I just think it's so adorable, check it out...
Blue Robin Cottage

17 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

Loving the selection here.
we have been looking for over a year for lighting. it is hard work.
I have some vintage potato mashers that have handles like the ones you are looking for but i don't know what you would call them if you are just looking for parts, lol
maybe handles off old wood working tools???
Amy

Boho Farm and Home said...

You are one crafty girl! I have a cute chicken wire one in my bathroom but I didn't make it. :)
xo
Caroline

katy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katy bits and pieces said...

love these lights! I have been wanting to try making some of these myself. thanks for the links to supplies & tutorials...

patti

michele said...

girrrrrrl, my hair is so blonde i can hardly screw in a light bulb. git down wit yer light making skillz.

the wooden part reminds me of a handle on an old bell (ever seen a handbell choir?).

i love so many of these lights!

michele

rosaspicks said...

Maybe try old wooden jump rope handles if tool handles and bell handles don't work out! Those wire ones make me want to grab some pliers and get to work!!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hello my dear! How are you? I love this post on vintage industrial lighting - you know I love me some vintage industrial anything!!! :) Barnlight Electric has some good lighting too - the price is a little up there, but they do have a clearance section. Which reminds me...I hope I won that giveaway! lol Would be nice to get some lighting here! :) Anyway, take care and enjoy your weekend!

Hugs,
Jessie

Cozy Little House said...

Being the gardener that I am, I immediately thought of my hand tools outside. It looks like their handles. Maybe you could take one apart??? Otherwise, I don't know what they'd be called either.
Brenda

Carol-Anne (Use the Good Dishes!) said...

Oh. My. God. That teacup and spoon one just kills me!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Love the lighting! I can't wait to see how yours turns out if you make one. Good luck finding the wooden handle. Is it just a "repurposed" handle? Like from a kitchen utensil? Not sure.

~Shanon

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

love these lights too! I think the wooden handles look like vintage kitchen utensil handles..anyway I think they are great.

Angela said...

Try taking a look around your local thrift to see if you can find anything to use as your "cage" I recently found 2 planters, turned them upside downs and voila - lights! (wire baskets, planters, wire trash cans...I even think the old fish baskets --the ones they drop the fish in right after they catch them) would make super cute lights. As far as those wooden handles -- why not find some old wooden handles kitchen utensils and use the handles off of them. I can't wait to see yours when you get finished... my planters are still on my "project to do" list for now. Good luck in finding something great!!

Debra @ Common Ground said...

These are so cool, wish I had a place for industrial, I just love it. Thanks for the great inspiration and linking up with VIF! xoxo

michelle said...

I love these too, they are so coo! Thanks for the link with the basket light, we have been trying to figure out how to do that one. I also picked up an old minnow trap to use as lighting. have fun!!
xoxo

Honey at 2805 said...

All are such great ideas! I adore the teacup and silver one. How cute is that!

Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. You are appreciated.

Sherry said...

Neat ideas. I love the key hole door plate one! Thank you for joining me at HSH Fall Open House! I'm late getting around, last week internet troubles.:)
Sherry

Chris said...

Hi Stacey, I just love all those lampshades. How original. I think the teacup one is so cute. I found and am now following you through My Romantic Home and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris