Monday, October 24, 2011

A {Sort Of} Fairytale Bathroom Makeover

Hello!
I've got some more of The Sort Of Fairytale House to show you today...

This is my newly made over, half bathroom, on the first floor

Here's the before state it was in when we purchased the house in March 2011...
1001 N YALE Ave, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL 60004
Luckily, the bead board and nice fixtures were already there.  All I had to do was paint!  I chose "Cherries Jubilee", by Glidden.  I have never painted a wall in such a bold color before, but this bathroom was just telling me it wanted to be red.  It's a bit of a rosier red in person, than pictured.  Another good red, if you happen to be looking for one, is "Barn Red" by Martha Stewart.  I really love how the red looks with the white trim and bead board.



I kept the white shelf that came with the bathroom (see before photo).  It's rather basic, and may be replaced someday, but for now it does the job...

I really like the pedestal sink...the tile, not so much.  It's just blah, boring, beig-y squares.  Oh, and we do use toilet paper, I don't know why there is none on holder...I blame it on my husband.  Anyway, someday, I would like to replace the current tile, with tile like this...


I'd also like to change the faucet knobs to something close to this...

These are the lights over the mirror above the sink.  They originally came with modern, opaque, white, glass shades.  I replaced them with these more dainty glass shades...they were under $5 each from Menard's (hardware store).  I am on the lookout for some vintage glass shades though.

My little valance is just three vintage hankies folded over a tension rod...

On a side note, these door knobs are what we have on almost all of the doors in our house.  I just love them, and have never seen glass ones like these before.  Our house was built in 1942, by the way, it's a "Georgian".

Even though, I've still got some ideas/plans in the works for the little red bathroom, I am happy with how it's turned out so far...hope you enjoyed checking it out!

Photobucket
Joining HERE
and
Photobucket  

The 36th Avenue

38 comments:

Debby said...

That red looks so cute in that bathroom. Really nice.

kpaints said...

Really cute and you seem headed in the right direction...love the details.

Laura said...

Nice make over! we are in the middle of a total reno and I am jealous that you get to paint. Soon, I will have a sink :)

Sierra @ Blue Robin Cottage said...

Oh my goodness! Your bathroom is absolutely beautiful!! I love your color choice!! Gorgeous! Thank you so much for all of your wonderful Etsy advice! It was so very helpful! :)

Elyse said...

absolutely adorable. loving all of your touches! way to go!!!

xo
elyse

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Looks great and I am loving the red.
What a sweet window treatment.
So clever!
xx
A

gena said...

Sweet is the first word that comes to mind....
great job !

Ruby Jean said...

It most CERTAINLY makes a statement now!! Great Job... It's Beautiful : )

Jen @ Bungalov said...

Love that red. Good choice taking the risk with both. I too love those type of bath tiles!!!

Vintage Market Place said...

very sweet room, loving the hankies as curtains!
red is a heartbreaking color tonight.
my Cardinals are not doing well in the world series :(

Comeca Jones said...

Your space is so you and I am so swooning over the red and white hand towel tooo cute!

Red Gate Farm said...

The red is beautiful... and I love the vintage hankies.... but you REALLY got me on your dream tile. That is exactly the tile and pattern I'd like in my bathroom someday!

~Chris

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

Your bath makeover is so cheery and I just love the glass door knobs too.

Danielle

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

Cute!!! It looks great. Love what you've done and your plans for more to come.

Amanda said...

Oh, your bathroom looks lovely! The red is fantastic.

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

How did I miss this post?!?! I just LOVE IT!!! :) I too have the bead board, pedestal sink, boringish tiles {that came with the house}, and have a hand me down Simply Shabby Chic linen hanging over a tension rod in both my bathrooms!!! :) Anyway, LOVING the red - so cute!!! Love ALL of it!!! It's so you!!!


XOXO's,
Jessie

traci said...

oh my...what an adorable bathroom. i love the color. you always inspire me with your use of color. and the vintage hankies as a valance. love it!!

michelle said...

Oh that is so much more you my friend. I love it, so cheery and pretty. I love the vintage hankies as window coverings, they look so prefect with the wall color. :)
Enjoy!!
xoxo

Pamela Bates of Mercantile Muse said...

So much better. LOVE the hankie curtain and the tins.

super pop of red!

BTW, your tutorial post is up on mercantile muse!

Shannon Olson said...

I love the make over especially the vintage hankies! I have a few just like that and I always wondered how to decorate with them!
Great work =)

Everlasting Blooms said...

Cute!I love those glass door knobs :)

Claudia said...

I love the addition of red walls - half baths are great places to experiment. It looks wonderul and cheery!

xo
Claudia

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sooooo pretty. Love the red!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Love your window treatment. Cute room!

♥Linsey
http://farmhouseporch.blogspot.com/

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh this is full of such vintage wonderfulness. I adore what you have done.

Robin said...

Red and white is my favorite color combo so you know I'm loving this makeover. I'm so happy you took the chance on a such a bold color - - it looks amazing with the white beadboard.

You have stled the room so beautifully, I loving the window treatment.

Liz said...

DARLING!!!! I LOVE the red. Such a cute little room.

~Liz

michele said...

the little red bathroom is B.I.G. on style and charm, stacey!

loving the window treatment, beadboard, and fairytale touches.

you could always paint the floor tiles--my sis has done this in many bathrooms with dated tile.

have a wonderful week, my friend.

michele

very merry vintage style said...

It looks really pretty--love the handkerchief valance. Those door knobs are gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Karla Medina said...

I like the pedestal sink and i love the glass bottles on the window seal. The bathroom looks great. :)

My Vintage Mending said...

Love that touch of color. All the little elements are perfect. I have a shop that I get my little glass shades from and they are wonderful.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/shades.html

Some can be pricey but most are reasonable. Just in case you want to browse and drool....smiles...Renee

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

We all love it! Congrats on all your hard work! ♥

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Ha-h! This is an old post! I thought it seemed familar! A BUNCH of your old posts showed up in my reader this morning. :)

Karan said...

I love the red. Just what it needed. And the hankies for the window covering is a great idea.

Karan

Eclectically Vintage said...

I love the color and the vintage hankie valance! That glass doorknob is cool too! I salvaged my glass knobs to reuse on new doors but yours is very unique. Your dream floor - I have it in my attic bathroom and love it!
Kelly

Lea B. said...

Hey! Just letting you know that I LOVE how you decorated this room. I posted about it on my blog. :]
http://homesweetlovin.blogspot.com/2012/01/ch-ch-ch-cherry-bomb.html

Mrs.B said...

Love your room makeovers.
The doorknobs are awesome!

Alicia said...

ME PARECEN PRECIOSOS ESA CORTINA ES PRECIOSA.
SALUDITOS