Sunday, January 29, 2012

The "Impossibilities Challenge" Reveal!

I did it, I did it!
I sewed my very first handbag, all by my big girl self, and overcame my "Impossibility"!!

Here she is...
 
What I was going for was this shape and style...
 {source}

I consulted many an online tutorial, borrowed how-to books from the library, and even bought a pattern.  In the end, I just made it up as I went.  I'm pretty sure the knowledge I soaked in from said tutorials and books was a HUGE help.  The pattern?  Not so much.  You would think that a pattern called, "It's Sew Easy:  See and Sew", would be, well, easy.  Nope.  At least not for me.  The only thing I'm gonna get out of that pattern is recycling it as tissue paper!

 {initial fabric options}

The bag I made is actually sewn from a vintage strawberry print dish towel.  It's was a rather large dishtowel and I had bought it just for the fabric.  I had planned on adding a printed lining to the inside, but that process was really confusing me...anyone know of a good tutorial?  Anyway, I nixed the lining idea.  Fortunately, the towel was a thick, study, cotton duck-like fabric, so the bag would not end up too flimsy, especially without adding interfacing...another step that was confusing me.  An added bonus with the fabric being a towel was that the inside of the bag would already have nice seems (I left the towel seems intact, except for the angle cuts by the handles, those were re sewn)!  This made me think of all the pretty kitchen towels I see that could be made into bags, you just need a rather large towel, unless you want a smaller bag.

{in progress}

I did manage to add a little pocket inside,  also made from vintage fabric.  My friend gave me that pocket fabric and she was the one who taught me how to thread my machine and bobbin when I started to sew...if you're reading sweet friend...THANK YOU!!!


Another detail I added were "gusseted" corners on the bottom.  Not sure I did them totally right, but I like how it turned out.  The handles are bamboo and were not too hard to sew on, just a bit awkward.  The entire bag was sewn on my machine...I think I got the seems pretty straight and neat, but they are no means perfect!


It's the dead of winter here in IL, and this is a pretty summery bag, but I think it will be just perfection for the summer Flea and Farmer's Markets! 


I'm so glad I took this challenge on...I seriously don't think I would have ever done it, if it weren't for my sweet blog friend Karianne at Thistlewood Farm, for coming up with the challenge idea and inviting me to join...Thank You, Karianne!  Her, along with the support of my fellow amazing blogger challenge partners:


made it all possible to accomplish this "Impossible".  You won't want to miss what these gals have done, so be sure to check out their "Impossibles".  Also, I can't forget the other awesome bloggers who have taken on the challenge with us...Thank you for joining and I can't wait to see what you all accomplished or are still working on at our "Imagine the Impossibilities" 

Blog Hop Link Party on Tuesday Jan. 31st!  

We additionally invite any bloggers who may have not officially joined the challenge to link up their projects as well, even if it is something that may still be in progress...it's all about sharing and inspiring, so just show us what'cha got cookin'!  Anything goes:  decorating, DIY, remodeling, organizing, painting, crafting, sewing, cooking, photography, opening a business or Etsy shop, personal triumphs!

See you at the party with your pretty party shoes on!

XO,
Stacey

Sharing Here:

55 comments:

Eclectically Vintage said...

You did it - congrats! Love the fabric and the cute pocket inside - You Sew Girl!!
Kelly

Vintage Market Place said...

YAY! It looks so cute!
Yes, patterns aren't worth a darn.
Especially those "EASY SEWS"
Amy Butlers are very easy.
If you have a good little quilt shop they usually have a easy sew bag to start class.
Congrats and here is to spring and farmers markets :)
Amy

hannah singer said...

wow! the design is adorable. that fabric is BEAUTIFUL! xo

DondaLee's said...

You did it!!! YAAAY! Way to go! I LOVE it!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I think it looks so pretty! I just love it!
Congratulations,
Susie

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

WHOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for you Stacey! You did it and she is gorgeous!!!! I love it and all the travels she will take with you all over the land -- if I know you she will be filled with tons of vintage finds! You did an amazing job and I am so happy for you!!!!! What a great accomplishment...you are now going to be making TONS of them -- I just know it! Sending hugs and CONGRATS!!! :)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Stacey! This is so great! Did you say gusseted? I wish I new what that meant, but it looks awesome! And you added a pocket - way to go!!! Just fantastic!

New End Studio said...

Congrats, the idea of using the pretty vintage towel was great, too! Hope you get lots of summery use with your new bag.

Claudia said...

Congratulations, Stacey! What a pretty bag! I love the vintage print - it suits you.

xo
Claudia

Vintage Country Girl said...

You did it. What a great job! Great fabric.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

It looks so fun and fresh and you did it! How fun! And thanks for giving me some hope for spring on this gray Chicago morning ...

Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

traci said...

congrats to you. i am proud of ya. that bag will be perfect at the flea markets this summer.

My Vintage Mending said...

This looks great. I think you did wonderful. Lining..ugh! I had to redo a tiny piece 3 times yesterday to get it right. Best thing for me to do is think of it as a double pattern sew the inside like the outside then do a dry run before you sew them together with pins. You will get it...I have no doubt. Smiles...Renee

mapleandmagnolia.com said...

It is absolutely adorable. Makes me crave summer! Great job!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Stacey,
YOU DID IT!That purse is so pretty....and I love the detailing and the flowers and the photography! Well done my friend. And in accomplishing your impossible you have inspired so many others to follow their dreams.

Well done!
karianne

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Great job, S! I'm glad you used that strawberry fabric. It's perfect! ♥

kpaints said...

Very cute...it reminds me of warm summer days! I have a bunch of these handles in my stash...maybe I should sell them??

michelle said...

Woo Hoo you go girl!!! I love it and it turned out so beautiful! You could sell these you know. :) Wonderful job and it does brighten up these cold winters.
xoxox

Free Pretty Things For You said...

woohoo!! congrats my dear!!!
It turned out Fabulous!!!

michele said...

bravo, stacey!!!!!

how cute is that? and your photography is gorgeous!

michele

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it's adorable and oh so you! sweet and sassy!

Ruby Jean said...

So very very LOVELY... The Fabric is so perfect for this bag... If you would like for me to Test it out for you just let me know and I would be happy to carry it around for a while being sure it works... LOL!!! Congratulations...

fiona anderson said...

Congratulations, you're bag is so pretty - with a pocket and gussets as well, I bet you're pleased.
Well done - I'll see you tomorrow at the parties !!!

cestMoi Sandy said...

Lovely bag! so cheerful!
I sew a lot a lot.
But even I wonder and sometimes have a horrid time with following a "pattern" They say easy and then are hard.
I even say out loud! "must have been made by a person who never tried her own pattern".

I love the fabric you chose.

the lowes said...

wow go you!! that is so cute and summery!! I can totally picture at at the farmers market!! :)

Sherry said...

It is adorable...and so professional looking! I don't do well with patterns either so I know what you mean. Great Job!!!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Oooh your bag is SOOOO PRETTY!!! I think you did a fantastic and awesome job! I LOVE it!!! Oh if only I had a sewing machine to finally learn how to sew and possibly make something {easy}! :) Stacey, you are such an inspiration!!!

XOXO's,
Jessie

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Yay! Sewing isn't something that comes naturally to me, but you are a huge inspiration, keep up the good work!

ReFresh ReStyle said...

Congratulations! Love the fabric! I'll be joining the party!
See you tomorrow!
Debbie

donna said...

You did a fabulous job. Your bag turned out so cute. Love the fabric you used.
Hugs
donna

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Congrats!
I LOVE that you used this dish towel-amazing design
I will be sharing my organizing tomorrow

Brianna Willis said...

Turned out wonderful! I bet you learned a ton about sewing while doing it too! Congratulations on finishing.

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

Oh my goodness this is so great Stacey!!! I want to try!! I'll for sure link up tomorrow!!! Thanks for the reminder! I don't think I've ever visited before...so glad to know about your AWESOME blog!!! I'm excited to be your newest follower!!!

XO, Aimee
Your Newest Bloggy Friend

Comeca Jones said...

Soooo pretty!

Fat Dormouse said...

Oh, that bag is so lovely! And you are so clever to work out how to make it.
I guess I know what you'll be giving to all your girlfriends next Christmas!!!
Well done for achieving your impossibility.

Creative in Chicago said...

Fabulous bag and I love the fabric choice. I have my string art all linked up. Great challenge and thanks for hosting

Pamela R said...

That will make SUCH a cute bag for the farmers market!!! I'm SOOOO jealous!!!! Make me one? Lol!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Congratulations! It's just darling! Love that cheery vintage fabric.

Samantha said...

I love the strawberry fabric!! It looks so fresh and springy!

Misty said...

This is amazing! Great job! Thanks for sharing your "impossibility"!

~Misty
www.413sparrowlane.com

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

Adorable! I'm impressed...I guess I'd better get that sewing machine out of the box it's been in for 3 years!!! ;) Laurel

Mary Ellen said...

So cute!Love the fabric!
I have to confess I was a secret Impossibility challenge - I was afraid to do a post on my challenge as I wasn't sure I would get it done. And I didn't get it done like I would have liked- a complete makeover-but was able to reorganize my pantry so I can now find things!

So is there a new challenge party each month?

Cindy said...

Your hand bag looks wonderful! I love the adorable fabric, how sweet that it's a vintage dishtowel. I would never have guessed.
Congratulations on making your first purse, perhaps you will make yourself more as time goes on. I hope you enjoyed the sewing process, I admire anyone who begins to sew when they are starting out.
Hugs, Cindy

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Wow great job- that fabric is great. The bag looks totally professional, can't believe that it's the first one you've even made!

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon said...

Your bag is absolutely stunning! I love every little teeny tiny thing about it! I have a feeling I won't be able to get this one out of my head! Bonnie and I would love for you to share this at our link party!

www.uncommondesignsonline.com

Take care! Trish @ Uncommon

Ruthie said...

Well done ... my daughter would love that bag!

very merry vintage style said...

It turned out beautiful. Love the dishtowel fabric and pattern or not... it's perfect! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Robin said...

Yay! for you. It turned out wonderful and I just love the fabric you picked for it. So vintage and cheerful!

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate said...

I adore this!! That fabric is perfect and will be so cute in the spring and summer. I am a newbie sewer and this looks so cute!

CAS said...

Congratulations, you did it! It's super-cute! Thanks for hosting!
CAS

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

So cute!! I love it!! Thanks for linking up! Just checking, did you see my Lisa Leonard giveaway yet?


XO, Aimee

Erin said...

What a sweet bag! The strawberry fabric is perfect--I knew you could pull it off! Congrats. :)

Deborah Anne said...

Yay! Doesn't it feel good? :)

FlyAwayHome said...

WOW! Great job. I can't believe it was your first.

J Shrewsbury-ThreeDogFarmhouse said...

This is so country summertime...
That fabric is gorgeous..
if only I could sew
great job