Thursday, February 9, 2012

Beautility

"Beautility", or the art of taking something very Utilitarian and using it in a Beautiful way.

Love all the storage in this kitchen using vintage locker baskets and industrial cart shelving...
 {source}

Lots of Beautility in this kitchen by way of a metal topped island, crates, and buckets underneath...

Another vintage cart/rack for storing dishes and containers, with wire baskets to corral all the goodies...
 {via}

Plenty of Beautility here too...
{via}

A beautiful and clever way to use a utilitarian wire tier basket...

Does it get anymore Beautilitarian than this amazing card catalog-like piece from my friend, Mary at Urban Farmgirl?  I think not...

Sweet, yet industrial...

A mobile office on a pretty pink, vintage metal cart...Beautility at first sight!
{BHG}

What can't you do with a vintage locker basket?  This one holds my magazines at the moment...
{A Sort Of Fairytale}

A simple ladder transformed into shelving with iron grates, a colander as planter, and a wire basket...this whole scene is a thing of Beautility!
{BHG}

 - William Morris

'Nuf said.

XO,
Stacey

22 comments:

{northern cottage} said...

Fabulous !! I'd make use of any/all of those !! Form & function -delightfully beautilitarian!

The Dorothy Days said...

Beautiful blog post :) Thanks for sharing all these beautiful items

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Wow, so much great beautility! I love all the wire baskets...especially on the vintage cart and tiered. So beautiful. Thanks for all of the inspiration today!
Karah

Samantha said...

Beautility - Love it! What a perfect description!

Miranda said...

I love every one of these inspiration pics. Beautiful!

Angela - Postcards from the Ridge said...

One of my very favorite quotes. Beautility. I love that word. Great post.
Angie

Cozy Little House said...

Well, I learned a new word today! Thanks for the eye candy.
Brenda

michele said...

i'm crazy about all these objects you spotlighted! i'm currently obsessed with the gym baskets. they have always appealed to me, and i have never owned one.

michele

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Isn't it just wonderful, how something plain can be transformed in such a beautiful way? Thanks for the inspirational photos.

BTW I got a beautiful pincushion in the mail! It was handmade by a fairytale kinda girl! It is beautiful!
Blessings,
Susie

Faded Plains said...

I love all the beautility you showed us...I especially love the cabinet from Mary.

thistlewoodfarm said...

I love everything, Stacey....especially those number drawers! Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
karianne

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Ok Stacey,

This is my kind of style - rustic, yet elegant! lol LOVE it all!!! Hope you are having a great week so far - have a wonderful upcoming V-day weekend!


Hugs,
Jessie

Urban Farmgirl said...

Awww...you crazy girl! Love you for showcasing my cabinet! And the "Beautility" of all the rest ~ ah-mazing!

Mary

My Vintage Mending said...

Yes...yes...yes that is it. Beautility! I love it. I am constantly trying to explain the idea of making something necessarily beautiful. Thank you! A word I will never forget. Smiles...Renee

DondaLee's said...

This is fabulous! I LOVE the pink cart with the laptop on it. I just linked this post up with my new "Inspirational" linky party. come check it out!

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

awesome post and by the way i NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED that powder blue fridge!!!! : ) lol!!!! hugs...

Elyse said...

this, my little friend, is a perfect post to me! i am ADORING the images, the MADE-UP WORD (!!!), and the fitting end quote.

masterpiece!

(ladder ... sigh ...)

xo
elyse

Anne Marie said...

one of my favorite quotes...and that first image totally got me - I have 2 locker baskets and I haven't put them out lately...I'm going to over the weekend now!!

have a great weekend Stacey!!
xo
Anne Marie

Karen said...

Beautiful images. I especially like the second photo the best. God bless x

Bridget@Flour N Friends said...

Those are all so cute!!!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Hi Stacey! I really like that wallpaper on the wall in the kitchen. Looks like feedsack material!
I also, wanted to stop by and give you an award. Please stop by my blog when you have time and pick it up!
Blessings,
Susie
http://littlesusiehomemaker-lilsusiehomaker.blogspot.com

Erin said...

How clever, Stacey! I'm adding beautility to my vocab and pinning several of these awesome photos. :)