Thursday, March 1, 2012

Blogger's Home Tours #1 - Anne Marie at Na-Da Farm

I am so excited to have my first Blogger's Home Tour today!  Please welcome a lovely home from a very lovely person herself, Anne Marie, from Na-Da Farm Life with Anne Marie.  Before we get to the tour, I want to share a bit about Anne Marie, in her own words...


"Hello, I'm Anne Marie...mama to six children and wife to Jason, a carpenter by trade (hand carving wooden spoon husband by night). Life here in our 1920's farmhouse nesteld in our restored prairie in Illinois keeps me more than content, especially while I'm in the kitchen, gathering our veggies from our kitchen garden, walking our prairie or hand sewing clothing. We raise our children through the seasons upon the rock....and always preserving simplistic traditions.... 

My full time job? raising our six children My part time jobs? baker, writer and stylist"

Anne Marie and her family also host an amazing Barn Sale Event twice annually!  Her wonderful event was noted in the current issue of Flea Market Style magazine as "One of the Best Vintage Markets from Coast to Coast".  A mention I can attest to, as I have participated as a vendor at her event and will be doing so again this May...


Ready for an awesome home tour?!?  Be sure to read the Q&A after the photos, it's all about Anne Marie's style and inspiration!  Okay, here we go...





{Anne Marie's kitchen was recently featured in Where Women Cook magazine}













Style Q&A with Anne Marie

1.  How would you describe the decorating style in your home?  

This house is not a bussle of commotion...or somewhere where people are coming and going...except for in and out of the farm yard.  The kids' ages are from 14 down to almost 1 so not only is our house functional for a night of games on the dining room table, but also for a ladie's night for cocktails and cupcakes....it's an eclectic mix of thrift store, vintage, traditional items, and of course, the hand me downs.... The best way to describe it is well lived in...where chippy furniture is welcome along side original woodwork and a "family farmhouse style".
 
 The life that surrounds me and the history before me, that is what inspires me.  As well as all types of fashion....I get most inspired when I see an old photograph of a woman on the farm with her children, or a 1920's bunch of friends, and I really love old tin type photographs.......the strength in character I see in a hard working man's face, or the beauty from an aged woman near her old farmhouse.

2.  What inspires your style and where do you find the most inspiration?            

I try to invoke all sorts of eras into my decor to create a warm sense of 'who we are'...how there are so many types of people on this farm...having a 14 year old son who is very knowledgeable in WWII history and that era in our nation's history.  I myself am becoming so fascinated with the sense of fashion and history blended together...the values of people...how they were different back then because of the war...how a real sense of community arose.History teaches us so much on so many levels. 

3.  Do you find you are drawn to other styles as well, and if so, do you find it challenging to stay within "your style", or does anything you like find it's way into your house?

There is this great shop that is in DeKalb, Cracker Jax, and Lauren carries the most unusual and cool stuff....including fashion...I have always collected vintage clothing and hats - and her store is my 'go to' place for inspiration that is hands on - and sometimes I'll bring a pillow home from her shop that is all pink and turquoise and down filled and love it mixed in with my pillows I made from linen tea towels from Denmark...or a scarf made from vintage lace thrown over my rustic German island as I enter the house to scoop up baby Daniel....those are the surprised moments which sparks my creativity to create "my style" - the unexpected loveliness in my life. 

4.  What are your favorite places to shop for home decor?

  By far, my sales here at the farm....and my local thrift stores and shops....supporting those women who work so hard at doing what they do in those fantastic stores in DeKalb, Sycamore, Rochelle....that is why I started my sales...to support one another.  What Jason and I thought was going to be an organic co-op of sorts out of our old barn, has turned into what was named one of the best Vintage Markets from coast to coast by Flea Market Style Magazine this month!!  I always seem to find the most amazing pieces at our sales.  All the items that our dealers bring are either vintage items or true antiques, primitive style or shabby chic or like your totally cute Cath Kidston style!  Best of all: all the items here are either hand crafted items, original artwork, but always made in America!!  We have the greatest bunch of people making the next event one of the best yet!

5.  What is your next or current decor project in your home?

 My lastest decor project is working on that front room where Daniel and I started out his life outside the womb.  It was our place to snuggle and love eachother - just the two of us - so it's such a special room to me now...and it's slowly turning into my studio....for food styling...photography shoots...sewing...and with a door closed off from the rest of the house,  it's quickly becoming a great place to spend a little time with 'mama' crafting or just talking....or eating pie with a friend.   Since Jason is still recovering from back surgery, he's unable to lift a few pieces into that room that I am wanting to use in there for storage - like an original printers cabinet that has a ton of drawers that will be perfect for buttons, trim, paper, and a secret stash of chocolate....that is patiently going to have to wait until Lent is over....Other than that room, we are wanting to renovate our walk up attic - which is so exciting - but we aren't sure if we want it for a master suite or for a nice big room for the boy's to share....time will tell...


A very heartfelt thank you to Anne Marie for letting us into your home and thoughts today...I am so honored that you shared your gorgeous farmhouse with my readers!

To read more about Anne Marie and her Barn Sale Events, please visit her lovely blog, Na-Da Farm Life with Anne Marie .

There will be more Blogger's Home Tours coming soon...I have a great group of Bloggers lined up!

XO,
Stacey


24 comments:

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Thanks for the tour. very nice!
Blessings,
Susie

traci said...

absolutely beautiful. i have been to anne marie and jason's home. and it is so warm and inviting. lots of inspiration there.

JoAnne Weisser said...

Wonderful tour! I especially love Anne Marie's kitchen ~ it's so charming and inviting. The picture at the end of Anne Marie and her scrumptious baby are the icing on the cake!

Allyson said...

What a beautiful home! Thanks for sharing!

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

gena said...

What a great new addition to your blog! I love peeking into other's homes and this one was just beautiful!

Thanks for the tour!!!

gena

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oh i love anne marie's kitchen! it's so warm! and love the vintage suitcases, too!

Tricia said...

I love Anne Marie...she has such a cozy house and a great sense of style.

Rebecca @ heartland farmhouse said...

Wow that was fun. First time here. Visiting from pinterest. Off to read more...

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Loved your first tour, Stacey! Anne Marie seems so sweet, I started following her blog in Dec 2010. I loved seeing different areas of her home and the questions and answers were fun, too. I love her beautiful farmhouse, I want to go to the Na da event!
I hope you will show us your home, too!

~Shanon

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for having me Stacey!! It was so fun sprucing up my kitchen - I even started a 'bakery' pin board because I had so much fun putting some LONG needed color into my kitchen...hoping to carry that into the sale - so we'll see!
God bless!
Anne Marie

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Thanks for sharing Ann Marie with us.I enjoy her blog often and I love their lifestyle.~Blessings Kim

Vintage Home said...

Thanks for sharing this interview & the lovely pictures.
Ann Marie is always so kind to visit & comment.
As a seller of vintage myself I am drawn to all the antiques in her home. But it is the texture & patina that is expressed in these pictures that gives their home its deep warmth.

AshTreeCottage said...

Thank you for that great tour. I love Anne Marie's kitchen!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Heidi said...

cool tour ~ laughing at the "dumb things I gotta do" tablet, which came from my contribution to the goodies bags at our first IL bloggers get together! Can't wait to see your space in May!
:)Heidi

Elyse said...

adoring anne-marie's simple style and m.o.

thanks for putting this together, bt!

happy weekend

xo
elyse

McMaster and Storm said...

love peeking into her home!!!
so pretty
xo
kara

thistlewoodfarm said...

Stacey,

This is such a fun idea! I think I love her home because she shines through! That barn sale sounds like so much fun!

blessings,
karianne

michelle said...

Beautiful home! She is so inspiring with everything she does.
xoxox

My Vintage Mending said...

Amazing. Just beautiful to see into others spaces. Smiles..Renee

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

this was a pure delight! thank you for bringing this to us all!!! sending hugs!

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

so fun! Home tours are the best! So personal and great for us voyeuristic types! ;) Thanks for sharing - both of you!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I really enjoyed this, thanks to you both!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Stacey!

Love your first feature - Anne Marie's home is beautiful!!! Wish I lived closer to ya'll - would love to come to her event this year!!! Now let's see a full tour of your home too!!! :)

XOXO's,
Jessie

housesearch said...

I visit this site and acquainted with this.This site publish most useful and valuable article.I read this post and find lot of things.I am really happy for reading and knowing this post.

Homes in orange county