Monday, March 26, 2012

First Aid for My Bathroom - A Makeover {for under $150}

 Finally...I finished our bathroom!  All was done for just under $150...no renovations or fixture changes...just paint, fabric, and accessories made over our main upstairs bathroom.  Check out my newest little pride and joy...

{After}
 {The paint color is Cumulus by Behr, used 1 quart, $15}

{Before}
 (This is an old picture...sorry the quality is bad.  This paint color came with the house...it's Pea Green by Colors No One Wants.)


Crate as shelf was purchased from JoAnne Fabrics for $7.50 with 1/2 off coupon.  I've used vintage crates as shelves in the living/dining room, but I chose this over vintage because of it's depth.

I love these silhouette "hair do" prints!  They're from A Vintage Poster and are $12 each for 8x10's, however,  I bought three prints from them and received 25% off as part of a promotion.  I framed the prints with simple, inexpensive white frames from Target.


My vintage First Aid box collection was purchased mostly from the fabulous Maple and Magnolia, $8-15 each at the equally fabulous Tattered Tiques.



I changed out the former opaque, white glass shades from the original light fixture to these three vintage ruffled milk glass shades with a red rose print.  The were 49 cents each at Goodwill !!!

{After}

{Before}

Using Mason jars and other vintage items are my favorite for all kinds of storage...

Eventually I will replace the faucet with one that has white porcelain cross handles that say "Hot" and "Cold".  I bought the cute little glass cup at Anthropologie, $12...couldn't resist!



 Sewed some new tier curtains (this was my first time making curtains incidentally) and also added a band of red to the bottom of the shower curtain I already had.  I also already had the blue table with basket drawers.  Here's a before shot...


This is the only bathroom we have upstairs {nope, no master bath here} and there is NO storage other than the mirror medicine cabinet, so this table with drawers is a must!  We do have a linen closet in the hallway though.



 {Curtain fabric from Fat Quarter Shop, $10.50/Yd}

{New hooks on back of door from Anthropologie, on sale for $2.99 ea}

It's a small bathroom and that pretty much does it...here's one last look...


Paint - $15
Crate - $7.50
First Aid Boxes - $55
2 Art Prints - $21
Glass Shades - $1.50
Door Hooks - $6
Drinking Glass - $12
Striped Fabric 2yds - $20
Red Fabric 1 yd - $3
______________________________
 Total = $141

Whew, I'm glad it's done...well, except for the tile I would like to change someday to some thing more vintage-y.  It's currently a light gray neutral tile...could be much worse, right?  For now, it's all about Making Do or Do Without!

XO,
Stacey

P.S.  My other bathroom was made over for the cost of just a quart of paint...you can see it {HERE}

Sharing Here:

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special


vif187




46 comments:

michelle said...

Stacey that is the cutest bathroom, I just love it! The first aid tins are the best. Beautiful job my dear.
xoxo

Amanda said...

Your bathroom looks amazing, great revamp, looks so fresh.

I just painted my bathroom today and can not wait to finish it off!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Super, duper cute!!! The red and blue accents are so pretty! I love the glass canister that says bandages too. :)

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

Super cute!!!

Allyson said...

This looks so great! I seriously love everything about it - great job, and thanks for sharing.

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

Vintage Market Place said...

Love that color you chose.
I have picked the same color for my sons bath, plus I love Behr paints
we always use them.
So funny cause I have the same style in his bath with the vintage first aid boxes, mine are from my childhood.
My mom was going to sell them at a yard sale this summer and I snatched them out of the pile sayin' NO WAY!
Those are mine!!!
LOL
It all looks great!
Amy

Julie said...

So cute! Love the redo.

Rebecca @ heartland farmhouse said...

major transformation on a slim budget! like the band you added to the shower curtain, the teal basket table, your homemade curtains -lovely, your make up brush holder - pretty & functional. nice job!
we don't have a master either or a family room & i'm just fine with it (less to clean & accumulate junk) -- every room in our house is thoroughly used. thanks for sharing!

melody-mae said...

Love the color you painted it. Very light and airy feeling. Great job!

blondiensc said...

Your bathroom is darling! I love the color you chose, my kids bathroom needs a revamp and this color might just be the one! your vintage touches are perfection too Stacey! thanks for sharing, I need to check our your bedroom now!

JoAnne Weisser said...

It's so cute, Stacey! Love the white crate and all of your vintagey details. Great job on the curtain too! And of course I love the wall color! : )

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love the colors you have chosen! They look just gorgeous in your bathroom. Perfect redo! I love all of your touches.

~Shanon

Miranda said...

It looks fantastic! There are so many great details! I love all of it.

Bronwyn said...

Wow! I like the curtain fabric and the flowered light fixture the best! Well done!

Fox Hollow Cottage said...

Well it could not look any cuter! Love all the great, personal details that make it yours. Enjoy!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a bright fun color scheme you chose! Who would have thought of using flowered light shades but you?! And they are perfect in your newly decorated bathroom.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I love the touches of red and the silhouettes were the first thing to catch my eye. The crate on the wall is clever. You did a great job!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it looks fabulous- so light and happy and so you! i have that same towel with the roses.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Wow! Such a fantastic make over!
You made it look great! And the price tag is awesome. You really pulled this together so nicely!
Lovin it!
Blessings,
Susie

Phil Grahm Salt said...

When stocking a first aid kit at home, concentrate on what people are going to need most often. Office injuries are usually minor, including paper cuts, steam burns from the microwave, an occasional scalding from the coffee pot and the like. paramedic jobs in UK

Cozy Little House said...

It looks fantastic! I'm crazy for the crate shelf and those lovely striped curtains. Great job, Stacey!
Brenda

Urban Farmgirl said...

OMG!! This is so crazy cute! I loooove those first aid boxes! Its so fresh and happy!

But what I love the MOST?? "pea green' by colors nobody wants. Hahahhahaha! That is awesome.

Mary

My Vintage Mending said...

Can't pick a favorite. Although I must say that towel is darling. Love those first aid boxes. A little sweet with the rusty. This is good! Do you know how many times I have passed those globes? Beautiful. Smiles..Renee

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Fresh!! Love the first aid kits and the glass bandage jar.

traci said...

it is adorable stacey. love all the vintage goodies. we don't have any storage in our bathrooms either so i completely understand the need to have a little stand in there. love it all!!

Tricia said...

Oh my goodness, how cute is this?!! I love what you did, Stacey. All the little vintage accessories really make the space. What a cute towel too :)

michele said...

adorable, clever as h, and so YOU. i could see this frugalicious spread (and that title!) in a handful of decor magazines.

smiles to you.

michele

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

It looks so mice. I especially love the vintage first aid boxes. I love the crate as a shelf. Very creative and easy too:))
Have a great day and thanks for all the inspiration.
~Cheryl

{northern cottage} said...

oh yum - how fun and fresh and perfectly cottagey - well well done my friend! xo

www.NorthernCottage.net

Everlasting Blooms said...

Adorable! Love the vintagy feel.

Gotta love those "I just couldn't resist it" moments at Anthropologie...I've had a few of those myself :)

Happy Tuesday!
Lynn

Becky Caudill said...

What a fantastic job! We have one bathroom in our 1916 bungalow and I desperately want to remodel it but that's a pipe dream. In the meantime, I'm trying to come up with ways to make it less of an eyesore - I like so many of the ideas you've incorporated.

Pam said...

What a pretty bathroom. I adore the first aid kit theme. I haven't been visiting over here for a little while (no idea why not, just been so busy I guess), but wanted to tell you that I love your new header design! Fits your blog so well!

Christine said...

Fantastic!!! Everything is perfect and goes so well together! I love the vintage/antique feel!

I hope you'll come share this (and any other of your creations) at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-9.html

Jen Kershner said...

I'm so in love with your bathroom. I think I might look at the boxes you used as shelves to hold dvds in my entertainment center. Also I ran right upstairs and put qtips on my vanity after I saw your post!

Robin said...

You sure to know how to spruce a place up. I love what you've done. the prints and the first aid boxes are amazing and add such character to the room. Well done my friend.

the cape on the corner said...

i love the retro/vintage vibe in here. that color is perfect for that name!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Love your bathroom! All the little touches are just perfect. Megan

miabellavintage said...

I love the colours and the tins. What a neat collection in the best spot. the fabric for the window just adds that extra touch.

Linda said...

cute cute cute! I'm in the beginning stages of re-doing our small bathroom. So hard to choose a floor!

Jenna said...

The color scheme you chose is so pretty!

At The Picket Fence said...

Stacey that is absolutely fantastic! I just love how you added so many charming details and pops of color and we are so glad you shared this with us last weekend at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

Jocie Hagan said...

So pretty! Love the fresh, vintage feel!

We are running a Before and After Link party to support Habitat for Humanity, with a chance to be featured on other big blogs and win gift cards. Would love if you entered! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/2012-before-after-series/

The Remodeled Life said...

I'm popping over from I Heart Organizing. I'm in love with this bathroom - it is so, so pretty. Your whole house is pretty! Pinning this!!

John Milton said...

“Congratulations Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.”

read more

breeingersoll said...

I was wondering how you attatched the crate to the wall. Screws?

Bryan Johnson said...

I love this bathroom, the space, design and decoration was well.

designer bathroom
design a bathroom