Sunday, March 4, 2012

Interior Styling + Love

"Many people can't differentiate an interior designer from an interior stylist, but if you live for house and garden TV programming, you definitely get it.  Designers take responsibility for turning bare-bones homes and offices from shell to gorgeous before a family or firm take up permanent residency.  Stylists, on the other hand, work in the temporary lane.  They undertake one-day room makeovers and room setups for photo shoots, and they help homeowners refresh their places so they appeal to buyers and sell faster."  -Gail Cohen



{Photos 1,2,3 - Selina Lake}

Well, that sounds like a good gig to me!  Not that Interior Styling is a new concept to me, but I wish I had been more aware of it when I was in my 20's trying to figure out a career for myself.  My original major in college was Photography, but since it was pretty clear that when I graduated I was not going to be employed as a photographer by Rolling Stone or Vogue Magazines, I needed to switch gears and settle on another major that would become a stable career.   I did indeed change my major and subsequently graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Art Education.  I was never meant to be a teacher though, so that career did not stick long after college was over.



 {Photos 4,5,6 - Atlanta Bartlett}
I moved on to many other careers after that, mostly in the retail industry.  I considered going back to school to become an Interior Designer, but nixed the idea when I realized that I was going to have to suffer through classes that were all about various building materials.  No thank you.  I suppose at that point I should have pursued the avenues of becoming an Interior Decorator...pillows and tchochkies...now we're talkin' my speed.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  Didn't.



 {Photos 7,8,9 - Fifi O'Neill}

I did however, go back to school to become a stylist of sorts...a Hairstylist.  It was a fun job for awhile, but again, not really what I should have gone into.  My true loves when it comes to personal passions and hobbies are decorating/design and display.  I absolutely love decorating my home and "styling" it just so!  I even love taking pictures of the rooms and vignettes when I'm done putting it all together.  I guess the point I am getting at here is that I wish I would have pursued and become a professional Interior Stylist,  a job which I am fairly certain would be perfect for me.



 {Photos 10,11,12 - Sunday Hendrickson}
{Photos 10,12 - Jolly Goode Gal's home}

If you look at the by lines on the articles of interiors magazines that you enjoy reading, you will notice that the article was written by one person, the photographs taken by another, and there is often a third person in the equation, the stylist, he or she who has readied the rooms for the photo shoot to visual perfection right down to the apple slices on the kitchen counter.  Yep, I could do that...would LOVE to do that!  In reality though, I am a Stay At Home Mom.  I am happy to be that though, please don't mistake me.  I just like the idea of being an Interior Stylist too.  Maybe someday?  After all, George Elliot says, "It's never to late to be what you might have been".  I will admit that I fear it is too late for me despite what George says.




{Photos 13,14,15 - Aran Goyoaga/Canelle et Vanelle}

That said, I have decided on occasion to use my blog as an outlet for sharing some displays and vignettes that I plan on randomly setting up and photographing.  It's something I want to do for fun to keep the creativity flowing and it will let me pretend that I have my dream job.   I've been getting back into Photography too, so I know this will go hand in hand with that.  Subjects will be random:  Interiors, Food, Lifestyle.



 {Photos 15,16,17 - Heather Bullard}

*All photos featured above are by Interior, Food, and Lifestyle Stylists' work that I admire*
**The following photos are mine**




What do you think?  Anyone else out there have a "job that got away"?  Talk to me...

XO,
Stacey

"Let the beauty we love be what we do" -Rumi

P.S.  I'm sharing here...
Thistlewood Farm




P.S.S.  Blogger is kinda dumb and thinks I am a non-blogger blog and has removed my Google Friend Connect gadget...so annoying!  Has this happened to anyone else...do you know how to fix it?  I can't sign into my GFC account either :(

27 comments:

Jerusalem said...

i love it! great idea - i can't wait to see what you come up with!

Denise said...

I went to nursing school right out of H.S. and became an R.N.Yes, I worked at it through the years once in awhile when We needed extra money and kept My license tell my early 50s.It's very hard work and you do get dirty and you can kill someone ect..I would have enjoyed a fun job -like a stylist or window displayer.Something easy and clean.I do understand what you are saying-Me too! Denise

Karen said...

I hear you. I wanted to study art but my parents said there was no future in it so I did the good girl thing and studied teaching instead. I still wish I had done an art degree. I do get to do oil paintings as a hobby though though, so all is not lost:) Good luck with your new ventures. God bless x

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Girl! I am still working on my "future!" lol I think you would have made an awesome designer - you can still do whatever you want to do, you know!!! We are still young enough to make these changes - and you are sooo talented my dear!!! Your photography, design and everything else in between is just amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!


XO's,
Jessie

Gayle said...

I went to nursing school and only had 1 year to graduate when my husband received orders to Germany. When we got back to the states I went to "The Design Institute" I have my certificate of interior design, but it's hard to make a living as an interior designer (would have been easier as a nurse). Currently I'm having fun with an antique booth and painting furniture. Sometimes what we think would be a "dream" job isn't what we thought it would be.

traci said...

probably tons of jobs that got away. i always loved art as a child and architecture. but when i went to college, i left all that behind. studied communications and marketing. what? yea exactly. oh well. it's all about the journey right.

kibbygirl said...

Based on your pictures of your room redos and your beautiful blog you could totally be an interior designer! There is always time too. My Aunt became a minister in her fifties. I too wonder what I will do when I am no longer as needed at home, but I guess I need to settle on a dream first! lol Keep up with your 'home stylings' and keep on showing us here 'cause I love your style. :)

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

It's never too late to follow your dreams, Stacey! Maybe it could turn into a part time gig for you- or less than part time. ♥

Bronwyn said...

it's not too late until you are DEAD! So get on it sista- follow your dreams and share it all in photograph form with US!!

My Vintage Mending said...

What a wonderful quote. One that I might have to steal and post on a post it close to my desk. I graduated with a degree in Horticulture with a minor in landscape design. I should have known it was in me to want to design even then. Finding just the right balance and perfect placement. Funny these picture are some that I have saved in a folder too. Being a stay at home mom as filled almost every nook and cranny of my life but I try to steal spare moments with design. Great post...Smiles...Renee

Anne Marie said...

the job that got away for me was a guide in the Sierra mountains...that was my goal, until I met Jason...then all those hearts of love clouded my vision :)

totally worth it though!

that explains your great style and photography Stacey - btw: all your pictures I have in my inspiratino folder -

thistlewoodfarm said...

Stacey,

I think you have an incredible eye for detail and your pictures that you have put together for your blog are just as pretty as the ones you have shown :)

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

karianne

{northern cottage} said...

oh my goodness - beyond gorgeous and inspiring! xo

linky party opening later today if ya wanna come over & play!

www.NorthernCottage.net

thistlewoodfarm said...

I told you!!!!! I had to scroll up to make sure those pictures were yours....seriously....you need to be a professional stylist!

Thank you so much for linking up!

blessings,
karainne

Eclectically Vintage said...

Never too late - you can look back in 5 years and say "I did it" or "why didn't I try?"

I regret not following my passions too - art, photography, interior design. Instead, I majored in marketing. If only we knew then what we know now!

You have a fab eye and your photos are perfection! Go for it - live with no regrets!
Kelly

marilyn said...

I think that's awesome. At 18 i entered college for an art degree. quit to get married and start a family at 19. When our third child was 5 i went back part time, again for that art degree. After two semesters, surprise pregnant again. We now have 7 children ranging from 13- 28 years old. I began to bring art into my domesticity. I also home schooled for 7 years. i have never stopped creating, and i believe i have learned more from books, workshops via dvd, and blogs over the years than i ever would have gotten had i finished that degree. Press on with your dreams. Your gifts will shine and God will provide you with the opportunities. i don't think a degree is necessary, but time and experience are. Your blog is a perfect place to show your work and your passion.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

You vignettes and photos are just beautiful. Magazine worthy, in fact.

I don't think it's too late to pursue your dream career. You're already creating a portfolio here on your blog ...

Thanks for sharing!

:)

Linda

luci wallis said...

That is an awesome aspiration..your blog is beautiful. Those photos were full of inspiration..just beautiful
Bristol

koralee said...

So pretty...all these people inspire me so much.
I love your photos....you must keep styling! I love the grouping of boxes and baskets...pure joy! xoxoxo

victoriantailor said...

You are very talented, I wish you continued success as a stylist,

Elyse said...

i am a refuser (word?) of the notion of anything being too late. i am 46, little one. put it out there, baby! let's make it happen!

xo
elyse

Pieced Pastimes said...

Found you via Funky Junk Interiors. Your decorating style is wonderful! I am now following you on Facebook and look forward to reading your future posts. BTW - My GFC has disappeared before only to magically reappear after a day or two. You may want to add the new Linky follower tool to your blog, as rumor has it that GFC will be going away for Blogger blogs eventually too. Have a Wonderful Day!

Greenmare said...

I love your pictures as much as the "proffesional" ones. you have a lot of raw talent and exuberance and you are totally not to old to change your mind. I just restarted college at the tender age of 48! not full time, since the real world sneaks in with pesky bills and such, but I'm going to finish my art degree even if I do seem to be on the 35 year plan...........

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Stacey!! You clearly have an eye for styling..your inspiration pics and your own are absolutely swoon worthy! Shoot for the stars I say. :)

Thank you so much for linking up to the party, so sorry it has taken me so long to come check out your goals!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Rita@thissortaoldlife said...

I know I'm late to comment on this--just so many blogs to check out--but this post really touches me. I'm in the same place (after 20+ years in my field). I've started blogging because I just love doing it. Don't know where it might lead, but have faith it will lead somewhere. I have that George Elliot quotation pinned above my desk at work. It is too late to be some things (never going to win that Olympic gold in figure skating), but not for most. I say follow your passions--if they are true, they'll never steer you wrong. Love the images on your blog--

jeremy001 said...

Just a hint... when it comes to photographers, I would check at the local college for some photography majors. They are going to be cheaper than many professional photographers, but their work will be just as stellar.

colleges with photography majors

Mr. Nice Guy said...

Many thanks for posting this particular content, We were searching for it on multiple web sites and also merely identified a fair degree of details here.

Thanks
Bruce Bent II