Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cottage Style and Color {my home} - New Paint and Vintage Sign

Last Saturday we had the entry, stairway, and upstairs halls painted in a most lovely pale yellow, "Frosted Lemon" by Behr.  I LOVE how it turned out!  I was not totally sure about the yellow at first, but in the end, I am so glad I chose it.  One thing I am sure about is how awesome it is when someone else does the painting for a change!

This is a new table I bought (no, I didn't paint that masterpiece) on One King's Lane.  It was originally purchased for my bedroom, as a night stand, but I decided it was too pretty to have tucked away in a corner in there.

{The table has a striking resemblance to my Cath Kidston bag, no?}


In this post I mentioned I was working on a vintage inspired, painted sign...well, here it is!
I used a very "old school" way of transferring the font onto the wood in pencil, which I then hand painted over.  More details on the sign creation at end of post.

I found the perfect spot for the sign over the archway that separates the living room from the front entry and stairs.  Someday I will replace the ick light fixture you see reflected in the mirror...



This is the opposite view into the living room from the entry hall.  The baskets on the wall are also new and corral all the mail, they were $10 ea. from World Market.


Here's another sneak peak into the living room, which I'll be showing more of next week...


Check out this photo of the entry hall, living and dining area of our house when we first bought it...empty and blah!  The color was actually worse in person.  I painted the living and dining areas in an off white called, "Toasted Marshmallow", also by Behr and I think it goes quite nicely with the new "Frosted Lemon".  My house sounds like one delicious treat!!


Okay, back to the sign...

I found a piece of wood in my basement that was suitable for the sign to be, which I painted in one quick, rough coat of interior house paint I had left over.  Then I created and printed out my flipped image text on regular 8.5 x 11 paper as shown in the picture below.  I used Photoshop to make the text, but any word processing program will do.


I used a regular pencil to "color" in the letters.


 Then, I flipped the page over, eyeballed placement of words and traced the letters.  This process, which I am sure many of you have done or know how do, transfers the text onto the wood.


See...


Super Easy!


Next, I painted the letters in both left over house pant and craft paint.  Then, all I had do do was get my electric sander out and distress away.  That's all there was to it!  So easy and fun, I'm even making more signs...


Hope you enjoy the rest of the week and I'll be back soon with more Cottage Style and Color in my living room!

XO,
Stacey

Sharing Here:


vif187

36 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

it is so full of cheer.
and yes it does sound like a tasty treat.
Sounds and looks like your home is ready for summer.
Amy

Rebecca said...

What lovely yummy colours, lol! Your home looks so pretty - I adore the new bedside table/hall stand - gorgeous! Cute idea for the sign too - might have to try that ;-) Have a good weekend hon. Becks x

Mandy said...

gorgeous gorgeous! looking forward to the living area!

Miranda said...

I love the colors. They're all so bright, but still muted and calm. That nightstand is GORGEOUS! At first I thought it was the same print as the bag...awesome ♥

Rhissanna said...

How lovely! And the table and Kidston bag were made for each other!

Tangled Sweetpea said...

Gorgeous post! Am loving the table in the entrance - so so pretty!
Victoria xx

❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀ said...

The yellow is the perfect color, and yellow is hard to get right. Everything roses, is just darling, and what a cute sign. Love every photos!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love your new paint color and the sign turned out great. The table is so cottagey and pretty where you've placed it.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Love your little floral table! The sign is super cute, too!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

your home is such a happy place. i just love it!

traci said...

i love that color stacey. that could be the color i have been waiting for for my bedroom. so pretty. your home is so lovely!!!

My Vintage Mending said...

Stacey it looks beautiful...all the little details. I have that Cath bag and it is such a rich color. I would love a couch in it. Your sign looks amazing. I am smitten with all the tole. Thank you for sharing all your beautiful space it is inspiring. Smiles...Renee

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

As soon as I saw your new table I thought of Cath Kidson. It is really pretty! Lovin' your new sign too! You did a great job! You have such wonderful style. I look forward to seeing more!

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

Loving the paint color and you did a great job on the sign too;) Your home is so bright an cheerful.. :))
have a great weekend
~Cheryl

Fashion Tales.... said...

What an enchanting way to spruce up a space. The romantic floral table is gorgeous! :)

JoAnne Weisser said...

It all looks so amazing Stacey! Such a perfect soft shade of yellow. I'm really loving your desk and aqua chair ~ sooo pretty. Can't wait to see more!!

Erin said...

I first read this post in a coffee shop this morning and totally squealed out loud when I saw all the photos, Stacey! People totally gave me weird looks. :) Great wall color, LOVE that table and how it does seem to match your CK bag, the sign is adorable, and I'm <3'ing all the fun pops of aqua! I *seriously* can't wait to see more of the living room reveal!

Elyse said...

i love love love this post. your house is so full of charm and is indeed a tasty treat!

if you decide to sell your signs, i will buy one!

thanks for all the inspiration tonight!

xo
elyse

Cozy Little House said...

I adore your cutie pie house! Love the table and especially the sign.
Brenda

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Very nice, Stacy!
I just love all the new colors and so many details. So pretty! What a great tutorial. I bet you will be making lot's of signs! I would like to try this!
Blessings,
Susie

Cordyceps said...

Thanks for the post loaded with so many information on wall paint.Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.

Lynnie @ Ramblings from Vintage Gal said...

Hi Stacey,

I just found your blog and love it! I adore that table and went to One Kings Lane, but no luck. Could you tell me what category it was in, just in case they offer it again? I look forward to visiting your blog often. Kindredly Lynnie

Pamela Bates of Mercantile Muse said...

love the table, love the sign!

Faded Plains said...

I love your home...it looks like such a happy place. I was just cruising Pinterest and saw some painted floors that reminded me of you...here's the link

http://pinterest.com/pin/2040762300663018/

I was going to email you the picture but your email button on your blog didn't work.

~Andrea

Vintage Country Girl said...

That is so weird...I was going to paint my living room a soft yellow, and now you've given me the exact color to use! Thanks. I love yours. It's so pretty and light. I love the sign too. I'm "stealing" your idea.

Thanks!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Stacey!!!

I love, Love, LOVE the changes you've made!!! Did I already say how much I love it all?!?! lol You talented lady, you!!! :) Love the sign too!!! Can't wait to see all the posts that I've missed - this whole "school thing" is keeping me uber busy these days!!! Feel like I've missed so much of my fave blogs (like yours)! :) And I'm glad you were able to relax a bit this time around by having someone else paint - painting can be so tedious, I know!!! lol Wishing you a fab rest of the weekend!

XO's,
Jessie

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

i absolutely LOVE the sign and everything!!! your home is beautiful and oh so comfy cozy! : ) oh i get up at 4:30 because the house is quiet and because if i didn't i would never get everything done : ) LOL!!! hugs...

Eclectically Vintage said...

Love the yellow (gotta love the paint color names!) and that floral chest is fabulous (does look like your bag)!

Thanks for going old school on the sign - sometimes, these tutorials make me want to run screaming!

Can't wait to see more of the living room!
Kelly

Ruby and Arthur said...

I've been looking for a new color for my living room...this may be it! I love it, Jean

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

You've been featured on my link party tonight! Come check it out...don't forget to grab a featured button too! : D

♥Linsey

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

LOOKS GREAT!!

Scribbler said...

I found you on cowgirl UP!

Your home is so pretty -- beautiful color you chose.

Mostly I love that little floral table. I kept trying to decide if is decoupage, but you say it is painted. Whatever, it is so beautiful!

Susan said...

So fresh and clean!! I love it. The photography and styling is spot on too! Great job.

lynn said...

adorable floral table and bag, stacey:) i love your cute desk area, esp. the blue chair with its ruffled slip!

Amber said...

You made your sign the same way I do mine! It's tedious but I love doing it all myself. I'm not so into "cheating" with a Silhouette. lol

Zane Wooder said...

I love the light blue in the chairs and the pillow. Did you paint that chair yourself?

-Zane of ontario honey