Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blogger's Home Tour #11 - Erin @ Carolina Country Living


Such a treat to have the talented and lovely Erin from Carolina Country Living 
sharing her farmhouse here today!


Here's a little bit about Erin...

"I'm Erin and I'm a stay-at-home mom in her early 30s. 

I live in the countryside of central North Carolina with my husband and five-year-old son. My interests are varied and sundry: antiquing and going to auctions and yard sales, reading, movie-going, painting furniture, vintage home wares and linens, baking and cooking using nourishing ingredients and real food, collecting model horses and following real horse racing, keeping chickens, staying fit, crafting, and traveling when at all possible.

Carolina Country Living is the place where I chronicle these interests and generally ramble. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you'll visit often!"
 
 Erin has such a charming, inspiring, and creative home that has been featured in Fifi O'Neill's Romantic Prairie Style magazine and the Romantic Prairie Cookbook.  She also runs a business from her farmhouse in North Carolina, Harmony Farm Candles, where she makes her wonderful smelling candles with scents such as, "Lavender Cucumber Sage", "Hydrangea", and "Sweet Orange".

Okay, let's start the tour shall we?

 {The sweet front porch}

You'll love Erin's classic farmhouse kitchen...look at that sink!

Love the bead board details on the cabinets and the skirt-ies under the sink and counter...


Looking into Erin's kitchen...
 {Squeal!!!  how sweet is this bench, quilt, and pillow display?!}

The dining room is perfection...I really love how Erin uses bold pops of color 
here and throughout her house.

Beyond the dining room is the warm and cozy living room.  You know you love those slip covers...

The stairway to more gorgeousness...

The loft sitting area, Erin re-did the sofa and chairs in here, 
because she's super crafty like that.

The guestroom...
 {Why yes, I will be your guest...}

Both bedrooms exude the epitome of farmhouse style and I admire how Erin decorates, in that nothing looks contrived or overdone, just effortlessly beautiful.

The master bedroom...
{The bed, the linens!}

Here's her new recently done darling craft room...double squeal!!!


So Cute!  

Erin loves Cath Kidston and English Country Cottage style as much as I do, and I can tell she has let that style be her inspiration here.

I hope you enjoyed the tour of Erin's farmhouse...I just adore her and her home!

Style Q&A With Erin

1.  How would you describe the decorating style in your home? 

On the whole, my decorating “style” is a hybrid of cottage and farmhouse influences, with a dash of English country, wrapped up in a rustic log home. I sincerely love the casual comfort of cottage style, but also the simple, utilitarian dignity of farmhouse style.  However, lately I find myself wanting to indulge in dashes of color ala Cath Kidston.  I guess I’m a bit schizophrenic when it comes to decorating!  But one thing I try to do is always work with lots of contrasting textures.  With a log home, we have a lot of natural wood throughout the house, so I try to balance this with painted furniture, light-colored linens, and bits-and-bobs that I simply love.

2.  What inspires your style and where do you find the most inspiration?

It’s blogs, hands down!  I’m most impressed and inspired by the real people who use their creativity, ingenuity, and eye for beauty to decorate their homes.  Lately I’m obsessed with the gorgeous farmhouse at Keeping It Cozy, and I never tire of looking at A Sort of Fairytale (promise I’m not trying to be a suck-up!), Tinkered Treasures, Happy At Home, Faded Plains, and Old House True Love.  The discovery of the many wonderful blogs out there has gotten me on the path to honing in on, and developing, what I really like.

I also still love reading magazines and my favorites are: Country Homes & Interiors (from England), Country Living, Country Living {UK Edition}, Romantic Prairie Style, and Romantic Country. 

3.  Do you find you are drawn to other styles as well, and if so, do you find it challenging to stay within "your style", or does anything you like find its way into your house?


Generally, my tastes are pretty fixed around the triumvirate of farmhouse/cottage/English styles.  I might put out a few seashells in the summertime, or be really tempted to find a romantic crystal-laden chandelier, but in the end I continually seem to fall back into the same groove of honest, slightly worn furniture, vintage accessories, and farmhouse-style pieces.  I will never be able to relate to modern or contemporary styles, or anything really traditional or pretentious.  I like what I like!


4.  What are your favorite places to shop for home decor?


I’m exceedingly fortunate to live in an area of North Carolina with a number of wonderful local shops and boutiques that are quite affordable.  My favorite places to visit are: Nest in Burlington, Fetch in Hillsborough, Vintage Revivals/Uniquitiques/Vintage Tails in Hillsborough, Cottage Treasures in Mebane, and The Elegant Relic in Mebane. I make a point to attend the Liberty Antiques Festival each spring and I periodically hit thrift stores, yard sales, auctions, and curbs.
 

5.  What is your next or current decor project in your home?

Our house has 2-1/2 baths but we really only use the master bath, so I’ve neglected decorating the other 1-1/2 baths.  Neither has natural light, the spaces are small, and it’s just easier to keep ignoring them!  So I suppose I should think about prettifying those rooms. 


However, my next real project is to tackle landscaping around our house this fall.  We had garden beds installed around a good portion of the house last month, and the hope is to have a casual, free-form cottage garden filled with fragrant flowers.  I will be doing a lot of planting this fall!


Thanks for having me, Stacey!  As you know, I adore you and your blog, and it’s such an honor to participate in this series with all the other wonderful homes and the talented women behind them!  Thanks again! 

xo - Erin
 
Erin, you are so kind, and I of course adore you and your blog as well, and could relate to so much of what you shared in the Q&A!  I am beyond thrilled and honored to have you over today to share your sweet home, thank you so very much!

Dear readers and visitors, please stop by Carolina Country Living for more of the charming Erin, her home, and life and in countryside.

XO,
Stacey

14 comments:

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Erin's home is so warm and inviting. Those lodge style bedrooms look so comfy with the vintage beds. And that big, fun craft room! Lucky, lucky girl!

Thanks for another great house tour Stacey!

JoAnne Weisser said...

Love, love, love Erin's home. So much inspiration everywhere you look! It's sophisticated and casual all at the same time. Erin has a very talented eye for design to achieve this look ~ hopefully I can learn something from her! Thanks so much for the tour Stacey ~ I can see so many similarities in both of your design styles. Beautiful!!

Cozy Little House said...

My, I'd love to come stay in that guest room. Or sit on the porch. Or in the kitchen watching her cook. Beautiful home!
Brenda

Erin said...

Thanks for having me, Stacey! Being a part of the tour gave me good reason to finish a few more projects around the house and change things up a little bit. :) Hope you're having a lovely weekend!

Take care,
Erin

Keeping it Cozy said...

I adore everything Erin has done in her home... I'm not sure I could possibly pick a favorite room! Loved the tour - thanks for sharing! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love erin and her home! she is such a gem! :)
and i LOVE what she has done in her home to create a beautiful, warm, rustic, pretty space.

Heaven's Walk said...

What a sweetie Erin is, Stacey! And her home is a reflection of that. I love the airy simplicity of her cozy home. And her new craft room.....be still my heart!!! :)

xoxo laurie

Robin said...

I'm so happy you featured Erin's home. She is such a beautiful and wonderful person and I just loved seeing more photos of her home. Thanks

Prior said...

so lovely and homey! I love how she has lighted up the log cabin feel.
Lezlee

michele said...

sweetness, stacey.

what an incredible stage for making memories.

smiles.

michele

Liz - Imageremix said...

Erin's home brings back reminders of a place I visited as a kid. So much warmth and coziness there. Even with all that wood, it's light and inviting and wonderful. What a joy it must be to live there! Such beautiful touches!
Liz

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I love her house...and her candles!
♥Linsey

Auntie Cake said...

Lovely house! just wanted to plunk down on her front porch and invite myself for a stay!
Kate

Boites aux lettres / mailboxes said...

Let me show my beautiful creations of decorative mailboxes !
Models : dogs, cats, horses, farm animals, wild animals, birds, vehicles, fish, snoopy.

Be the first to own one of these very unique mailboxes!
“ … This mailboxes will do turn the heads of the passers-by”.

Web site : http://pages.globetrotter.net/miche/mailboxes.html