Monday, June 4, 2012

A Very Cottage Vacation

Hello!

Over Memorial Day weekend and a few days after, we stayed at this cute little cottage on a farm in a small town, Sawyer, MI.

We spent most evenings on the deck with some wine...


Spent time in the yard reading and relaxing...

Here's the view of the farmhouse across the street...
 {Just a little quaint farmhouse... ;) }

Here is the other view across the street...this land belonging to the red farmhouse I am pretty sure.

{Very quiet and peaceful}

One of the shops on the main street in Sawyer was this cute eco friendly clothing shop, Catherine Doll, housed in the old fire station.  When open and nice out they leave the garage doors open.  Such a cool building for a shop!

Another cute shop off the main street I checked out was Sweet Pea Studio.  I bought a few vintage items in here, they have very sweet things...lots of painted furniture and pretty pillows!

About 6 miles from Sawyer is another town, Three oaks and it has the cutest bakery EVER, Froelich's!!!  Check it out...


{Photography by The Whimsy Tree}

We visited the beach and town of nearby New Buffalo, MI ...


Stopped in this antique shop there, Da Barn, after lunch...

They had many cool items (most too pricey for my cheap-o-self), including this awesome retro El Camino...

More antiquing was had in other nearby towns, Lakeside and South Haven Mi ...


Sadly, this shop was closed when I drove by (sniff, sniff)...



Lots of very pretty pieces at Lakeside Antiques.  I really loved this planter, but it stayed at the shop...


The last two shops pictured here were my absolute favorites on the trip!  They are both next door to each other and are in South Haven, MI.

Camp Kettle Hole was just adorable and outfitted with all things vintage camp and cottage!
I bought quite a few fun vintage smalls here...



Next door is Murphy's Antiques, and I am tellin' you I have never been in an antique mall that I loved nearly all the booths, until this one!  I love, love, loved this place!!  The prices here are super reasonable too (remember, I said I was a cheap-o), I could have bought so much.


Another shop in South Haven that is very cute too is, Bayberry Cottage.  It's not a vintage or antique shop, but more of a home furnishings and design store specializing in cottage decor...

{Source - Bayberry Cottage}

They have every Dash and Albert rug sample on their wall...love those rugs!

I know...I did way to much shopping on vacation!  I just love checking out fun vintage and cottage shops when in other states and towns though.  The other half of the time was spent at the local beaches, back at our cottage rental, or at restaurants.  Ahhhh...vacations...you can't beat 'em!

Now, back to regular programming... real life.

XO,
Stacey

27 comments:

Wendy said...

Stacey! I've enjoyed your blog for sometime now, but don't remember if I've ever commented before. I'm so excited about this post. I live in WA state with my husband and kids, but grew up in Union Pier and went to school in New Buffalo! I lived there until I was 18. I worked in Three Oaks after graduation and of course know Lakeside and Sawyer too. I haven't been back there for about 5 years now. It was a beautiful area to grow up--we were within walking distance of Lake Michigan. Thanks for bringing a touch of my past to your blog. ♥
Blessings, Wendy xo

Boho Farm and Home said...

What a great vacation Stacey! I can't wait till we go back to Grand Haven, Michigan next month and do the exact same thing...only I have to stop at all the roadside fruit stands and buy fruit to make pies. :)
Ease back into reality slowly...let the vacation linger...the laundry can wait.
xoxo
Caroline

Boho Farm and Home said...

What a great vacation Stacey! I can't wait till we go back to Grand Haven, Michigan next month and do the exact same thing...only I have to stop at all the roadside fruit stands and buy fruit to make pies. :)
Ease back into reality slowly...let the vacation linger...the laundry can wait.
xoxo
Caroline

country vintage clutter said...

Looks like your having a wonderful vacation Stacey.

Shann said...

Stacey, you were vacationing about 30 minutes from where I live. I have been to some of those same shops but not all of them. So, thank you for giving me some new ideas and places to go! :)
Isn't the lake lovely? It looks just like the ocean..but without the salt water. So happy you enjoyed your vacation and found some treasures along the way!

Kim K. said...

My husband and I just came back from a weekend getaway in Saugatuck and wrapped up our trip in South Haven. I have completely fallen in love with Camp Kettle Hole and Murphy's antique mall. I filled two bags with all sorts of fantastic priced goodies. If you find yourself back to West MI, you also need to check out the Blue Star Antique Pavilion in Saugatuck/Douglas. It's right next to a microbrewery. My husband was more than happy to shop with me.

My Vintage Mending said...

Hi Miss Stacyey...Do you think I will have to beg my husband to stop on our way up to Traverse City in Aug.? These look like amazing places...and I am so glad you had a chance to get away. I can't wait to see what you got and I am glad that I am not the only one who can walk past a high price! Smiles...Renee

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Sounds like the best kind of vacation to me! Great shops and relaxing in a cute little cottage, perfect.

traci said...

those are some great shops. i was up in new buffalo in february for a scrapbook retreat. all the shops were closed then. gonna have to go back.

❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀ said...

What a cute little town, I am 2 hours from there, so may have to check it out. Thanks for the tour of your va-ca:)

JoAnne Weisser said...

What a wonderful vacation, Stacey! I would love to visit every one of those shops... and stay in a cute little farmhouse, too!!

Debby said...

Oh my, such a beautiful comfy cottage to stay in and all that wonderful shopping. Be still my heart.

Everlasting Blooms said...

We love South Haven! There are so many cute shops there...I haven't been down in a while...you should have kept going about 45 min and you would have reached us :)

~ Glad you chose Michigan to relax in :)

Elyse said...

hi stacey,

your vaca looks like the perfect combo of gasp then relax! i hope you will share some of your finds and what you do with them, which i'm sure will be extraordinary!

xo
elyse

thistlewoodfarm said...

Stacey,

This looks amazing! What fun shopping and relaxing.....and that bakery! So cute!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne

{northern cottage} said...

this sounds like a fairytale getaway - how great for you! lovely shoppes you've shared - thanks! That is the FIRST pinto I've ever liked - ever! mmmm red and good lines (never thought I'd ever like a pinto!) :)

chateau chic said...

Hi Stacey, What a charming cottage you stayed in for your vacation. So many quaint shops to browse. We were at the beach last week as well. We had one rainy day which I used to make the rounds to my favorite antique shops. Vacation is for antiquing, right?
Mary Alice

Sherry said...

I was in South Haven in early December and visited those shops...LOVED them!

Restyled Vintage said...

Hi Stacey, Cassie sent me over to your blog, telling me that she thought my style reminded her of yours...well what a huge compliment that is to me, your style is super gorgeous and cute! Pleased to be your newest follower, hope you'll hop over and check my blog/facebook page out too :)

cheers
Karen

Vintage Country Girl said...

How funny that you guys went to those places! We were just up in South Haven twice last year. It's about an hour away. They DO have the best antique stores. I even went to some that you did! Can you show us some of what you got?

Cozy Little House said...

Oh, what fun! I wish I could shop there. I like the places that are reasonable. Otherwise it's just a look-see.
Brenda

Rebecca said...

What absolutely lovely photos! It all looks like total bliss - I hope you had a fab time. Becks xxx

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I've never been to Sawyer, MI ... but it looks lovely! Thanks for sharing these pics. Have you ever visited Saugatuck, MI?

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

oh miss Stacey! i love love love this post...such gorgeous pictures...what a wonderful time you all must have had! thank you for taking the time to show us everything -- i feel as though i went on the vaca with you!!!! your blog is always so wonderful -- inviting and happy!!! i thank you for all the time -- love and creativity you share with us...sending you and yours tons of hugs...

Eclectically Vintage said...

Makes me want to hop in my car and drive all night til I get to MI so I can go antiquing all day long!
Kelly

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Now you have me dreaming of MI beaches. I don't know why, but the beaches on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan are so much nicer than our side ...


... the sand is softer and cleaner ... and they have dunes ... and it reminds me much more of the Atlantic ocean beaches!

Sounds like you had a fabulous vacation filled with antiquing and relaxing nights with some great views and wine, of course.

:)

Linda

Candy said...

Stacey, I've just found your blog. Lovin the pics of your home and now getting to enjoy your vacation. Only problem is....makes me wanna get in the car and GO.
Im now following you. Please, please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and Im hopin you'll decide to follow back??? THANKS 8-)