Monday, July 16, 2012

Blogger's Home Tour # 12 - Kara @ McMaster & Storm/Swan and Shears


Yay, it's time for another Blogger Home Tour!  



I knew when Kara signed up for the tour, that it would be quite an eye candy treat...she has amazing "shop keeper" style with incredible attention to detail!  Kara has owned two brick and mortar shops under the name, McMaster & Storm with her business partner, Darcy.  The store has since closed and they now do event sales and run their online "petite department store", McMaster & Storm


 They also have an Etsy shop, Swan and Shears, where you will find lovely items like this...


 Meet Kara...


"My name is Kara: My husband Matt and 3 children Luke, Zach & Vivian 
live in a 1860's brick farmhouse smack dab in the middle of cornfields in O-(HI)-O!
Pleased to meet you....... 

We found our house after what seemed forever......by taking a wrong turn to my friends house one Sundayin May of 2004.  I saw a sign and was sure it was going to say FOR SALE hay or eggs.  I was wrong it said FOR SALE by owner!  They were having an open house right then and we toured it and we, I mean I, about signed on the dotted line right then & there.  That week we had a contract. See, wrong turns might be the best thing after all!"
 
 Here's Kara's gorgeous farmhouse...
 
 "Since I have had two brick & mortar shops, I see shopkeeping cabinets in a new light. I use this glass case {in my pretend foyer} that I got in Berkeley, CA at the sweetest little shop, Mixed Pickles. Currently, I house some of my entertaining supplies in there. I have a few other mercantile pieces that
I affectionately tuck into our home. An ode to my love of shops long ago."
 
 "We repainted most of the downstairs in 2010 a butter cream color to add warmth and freshen up. I left most of the walls bare in the living room due to 5 doorways {yes, 5!}
So I feel those openings take up a lot of room. In the summer months I add architecture pieces i.e. the shutter & metal tin piece...when the stove starts up in October down they will come!
I would love to find something that is not a fire hazard to hang above stove. I found a darling vintage metal radiator cover to hang above the stove, however still trying to talk my husband into that.
The chandelier has moved with us 3 times!"
 
I would take the chandelier every move too...I love it!!
 
 "Last fall we did a room swap! This used to be the living room and when we added a wood stove it made sense to move the living room by the cozy fire. Took a bit to get used to, but we now love it.
I like to pile things high on top of my cabinets. I painted the dining room table last week with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Old White. I still need to finish 4 more chairs plus sanding the chairs.
{always a project!} I used clear wax, however might rub some dark in to make it a tad darker."


Some other views of the dining room above and below pics...I know you are all swooning over that darling blue velvet chair!  I am!!!


 "This area which is 15' long x 8' wide was the most recent project we took on! It consists of a closet, a desk area, laundry, and a soon-to-be-installed vintage farmhousesink that I found in my dad's barn! It is getting reglazed at the moment. {hooray for storage in an old farmhouse!} I kept it simple with open shelving instead of cupboards. That way I'm not shoving things in cupboards, 
this keeps me organized!"
 
Isn't that just the greatest laundry room?!  I love so many of the details Kara has in here and her laundry room actually makes me want to do laundry!
 
"I like a bath to be simple and clean!  My favorite soaps are verbena, mint leaf & agrumes all produced & imported by European Soaps. I keep a stock of them and when guests come I unwrap a crisp new bar, plus they scent the room! Herbs hanging from shower adds a natural touch. Plain white towels keep things simple & fresh. I love to mix in vintage linens for hand towels and occasionally a towel with a pop of color."
 
Her bathroom is so spa-like, but in a vintage way...I just think it's brilliant!



Here are some sweet peeks into her kids' rooms...
 

More of Kara's unique and beautiful "shop keeper style" represented here...
 
 
Style Q & A with Kara


How would you describe the decorating style in your home?
 
If I was to call out a style for my decorating, it's eclectic {I think}.  I really just buy what I love and sometime I measure and sometimes I don't.

What inspires your style and where do you find the most inspiration?

My inspiration comes from growing up in the Midwest and my 8 year stint in California.
I shopped the Rose Bowl Flea Market & towards the end the Alameda Flea Market {boy, was the Alameda flea tiny back then it's huge now!}.  I also draw from places I have traveled to and even eaten at.  I can get inspired by architecture, cities, & even hole-in-the-wall places!  Small brick & mortar shops are another favorite for inspiration.  Experiences also shape your decorating style.  Artfully arranged displays inspire me as well.

Do you find you are drawn to other styles as well, and if so, do you find it challenging to stay within"your style", or does anything you like find its way into your house?
 
I find the most inspiration from vintage ephemera, my favorite magazines, old houses & vintage scripture prints which inspire our faith in Jesus Christ.  I love John Derian, I have enjoyed his work for 10 years now & Sibella Court.  The inter-web {for inspiration} also is huge, wow! Our home's imperfections bring out it's beauty.  I look for the patina in things, if it's chipped or torn it adds character.  New things aren't always timeless.
 
What are your favorite places to shop for home decor?

Since I'm eclectic I can see the beauty in a lot of styles.  I most likely will not bring just anything to our house, however I'm game to being open aboutdifferent styles or things.  I have small children so that does play into seeing how something will fit in with our lifestyle.  As I approach 40, I really am editing my style and honing in on what I absolutely love.

Springfield Flea Market & Antique Malls......{& other places here, there & everywhere!} I just discovered this great tiny place in Tipp City, Ohio: Vintage Vogue Home & Garden! 
I really like old things.  The thrill of the hunt & digging to find a gem is a lot of fun.  My soft goods; i.e. pillows, roman shades, basket liners etc.are made by my friend Jill of Sew a Fine Seam!  She can sew anything and she just finished 11 custom linen roman shades for our house.

What is your next or current decor project in your home?
 
Our next project of many it seems is our attic. The space will have built-ins for storage, a bath and serve as a playroom for our children.{Oh, and the factory sink is about finished in the garden! 
Water lines will be finished soon!}

Thanks, Stacey for inviting me on the house tour! 

xo
Kara
 
Thank you, Kara for sharing your wonderful home here today, I am honored to have you!
 
Kara so kindly is offering a giveaway on my blog today in celebration of her home tour!
One of you very lucky ladies or chaps may win this pretty window/wall decal...
 
 
 Details:

"Tweet!  A lovely embellishment for your nest.  Apply on mirrors, glass cabinets or your very own front door! Can withstand the elements. Made in Ohio. {11.5 x 10"} 
{Instructions included}." -Kara

All you have to do for a chance to win is pop over to the McMaster & Storm and/or Swan and Shears shop(s)s and leave a comment on this post telling me what you like best in the shop(s).  
I will announce the winner on Friday 7/20/12, Good Luck!

Hope you enjoyed the tour today of Kara's exceptional farmhouse,
 thank you again Kara, for sharing it!

XO,
Stacey


23 comments:

FleaingFrance - French Shopping said...

Oh that is soooooo easy. I am addicted to their staplers! In all honesty I love everything in their shops....

Thanks for such a great post and happy to find your blog!
Simone

Debby said...

Lots of goodies. I love those metal stools.

birdie blue said...

such a beautiful home! love the laundry room with the scalloped galvanized light, especially. i've long admired many of the pretty home goods at mcmaster & storm, particularly the french safety pins, the velvet ribbon, and the flit & flutter chickadees.

hope you and miss mags are enjoying the sunny days and staying cool...
xo
molly

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Love this beautiful home! She is right, I am swooning over the dining room chair. I love the touches she did in the laundry room and the bath is so simply perfect. Thanks for sharing, Stacey!

~Shanon

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Such a treat seeing this beautiful home!

Jill Elaine said...

Kara's stapler is my fav! I need to buy another one because my girls keep running off with mine! So fun to see her house finally featured somewhere! It is so gorgeous!

My Vintage Mending said...

Very sophisticated for a farm. Beautifully upscale and well appointed. Smiles...Renee

mara's market said...

thanks for the home tour, kara has a great eye. too hard to pick a fav in the shop, love all the items.

michele said...

love their grain sack fabric!

what a charming house with an amazing back story!

smiles.

michele

McMaster & Storm said...

thanks Stacey--you do a great job with these tours! thanks so much for having me!
warmest,
kara

A Pearl In The Making said...

Wonderful space Kara. I especially love your laundry room and the adorable clothes rack in your daughter's room.

thistlewoodfarm said...

I remember when she used to have the brick and mortar store! And I love her ETSY shop! My favorite is the vintage price tags! Wonderful feature tour, Stacey!

Have a blessed day!
karianne

Beverly said...

Great tour. Thank you to both of you for sharing. I see so much to inspire me.

And, I love all the ribbons and the vintage tags in the store.♥

srpprcrftr said...

I think I love the mongrammed hand towel the best of all. I love the old fashioned style of it. I intend to buy some when I have the money. I also love the cardboard cones which I use alot for ornaments for different holidays. Would make it alot quicker for me to decorate ready made cones than to try to make them, they look sturdier than the ones I make. They're a price I could afford.

Urban Farmgirl said...

Woah...those metal stools have my name all over them. LOVE!! But those staplers always catch my eye, too!! ;o)

Mary

Kris Pare said...

What a lovely space and the wall color is so warm and inviting. I adore that farm accounting book and all the vintage paper goodness. Thank you for sharing!

The Bontekoes said...

Thanks for introducing us! Love the red stripe basket and then the bottles! OHHHHH the bottles!

Darla P. said...

I really like the petite leaf ribbon. It could be used as an embellishment in so many ways. Thanks for sharing!

Auntie Cake said...

Thanks for sharing glimpses into her home, I enjoyed my stay there tremendously. And that blue chair is to-die-for, you are absolutely right!

I have heard great things about her staplers, and all that ribbon is so luscious, plus the boxwood garland... Yummy!
Kate

Elyse said...

what a lovely tour. such a warm read and cozy spaces. i love how you describe her "shop keeper's style" -- perfectly stated!

thank you for sharing

xo
elyse

Keeping it Cozy said...

What a gorgeous farmhouse! Every room is warm and lovely, but oooh, I love the laundry room.

Ronald John Neal said...

It really looks a fairy tale viewing your photos and blog. Truly inspiring for readers and bloggers.

junk removal services manhattan

Vintage Tracy said...

OMG, I need one of those adorable safety pins. Great house -- lots of cute ideas.