Monday, July 2, 2012

A State-ment...

It's been a month or so since I have sewed anything, but today was the day I randomly decided to make a red pillow.  Just a red pillow was all I was going to make.  A simple red pillow for the couch.  I made the simple red pillow (well, actually there is some blue and cream ticking fabric on the back half of the envelope closure, because I ran out of red), plunked it on the couch and BOOOORING!!!

I couldn't just look at that sad, plain pillow day after day.  I decided I would add something to the front... a vintage feed sack piece was going to be just the thing it needed, until I remembered I had some small vintage state pennants I had yet to figure out what do with.  Bye bye feed sack, hello vintage pennants!  Here's how it turned out...


The cities and states on the pillow have particular meaning:

  • Chicago, IL - where I am from and met my husband
  • Phoenix, AZ - where we were married and also is where my mom lives
  • San Francisco, CA - where my husband lived for a year, my Grandpa lived during his golden years, and where my husband and I took our last vacation as just a married couple and not parents (haha!)



I'm not a particularly great sewer, I haven't mastered much beyond a pillow, but what I love about sewing itself, is the creation of something so unique, so "you"... the antithesis of a mass produced object!  It's those unique touches and creations that really make a house a home.

XO,
Stacey

26 comments:

Elyse said...

adorable and fits in with your delightful style! rah rah rah!

xo
elyse

ps
still waiting and will keep you posted!

Gail Thayer said...

That's just so sweet and so fantastic! I love the personal story behind it....makes it that much more special.

Vintage Market Place said...

Very very cute and I love the campy feel to it too!
Its a great memory pillow that tells your story.
Love that!
Amy

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love the sentimentality with your pillow AND it's stinkin' cute too!

Tricia said...

What a cute idea! I love that each pennant has a story behind it :)

Shann said...

Very very sweet! :)

Bronwyn said...

Well done! You are only going to get better at sewing if you keep practising. Little projects are the best way to learn!

My Vintage Mending said...

Very sweet. I love the abstract pattern. You are on your way to the addictive sewing behavior....smiles...Renee

Beverly said...

Just perfect. So unique and meaningful. Great look and great job!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

It looks really cute and (don't be offended) the sort of amateurish look makes it seem very authentically vintage...like a girl made it in sewing class for her boyfriend or something... I LOVE it. Sometimes that simple look is just right. It fits perfectly with your vintagy shabby decor!

Urban Farmgirl said...

Cute! I still have to order my 'farmgirl' pillow!! Let me know when you are in the sewing mood again... ;o)

Mary

thistlewoodfarm said...

Stacey,

This is such a great idea! Now I just need to find some of those tiny vintage pennants :)

Happy Fourth to You!

blessings,
karianne

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

How sweet! A souvenir pillow made by you. I see those pennants in antique stores and would love to do a Christmas tree skirt out of the bigger pennants. It would probably take me years to collect enough to make one!

Kim K. said...

Your vintage pennants are the perfect touch. Love the sentimental value too.

michele said...

it is fabulous, stacey!

what a perfect way to store these memories and relive them.

michele

Cozy Little House said...

Cute pillow! You're right. So much better than mass-produced. Love the quilts too.
Brenda

Susan said...

A. Stinking. DORABLE!!!! I'm now on the hunt for some pennants and placing my order in advance!

Eclectically Vintage said...

I love those mini pennants - I only find the big ones! What a perfect little pillow!
Kelly

chateau chic said...

Stacey, SOOO CUTE! Great idea to personalize your pillow.
Mary Alice

luci wallis said...

What a great pillow... love all the memories sewn in. Have not been blogging lately and I always love when I pop in you have a cute new header.
Bristol

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

This is such an awesome idea! I LOVE IT!!!! I am not a sewer but I do believe that I am going to challenge myself with this project...ours will be all about baseball or should i say all about the NY YANKEES!!! : ) hugs and thanks for the inspiration!

Ruby and Arthur said...

Love the pennant pillow, such cuteness! Jean

birdie blue said...

love the pennants, miss stacey. so, sew sweet!

aren't you glad cooler weather is finally moving in?

xo
molly

Keeping it Cozy said...

I love the addition of the vintage pennants... what a fun pillow and perfect for your living room! You may have started a new trend. ;-) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Bumpkin Bears said...

What a lovely blog you have. So glad to have found you from postroad vintage! Love what you did with the cushion. Hugs, catherine

Erin said...

Yes, yes, yes to embracing handmade over mass produced! What a wonderful, sentimental, and very nicely *handmade* pillow, friend. :)