Monday, February 11, 2013

Clean & Green

 Cleaning... one word: Ugh.

I don't like it, but it's gotta be done, especially if you're a neat-freak like me!


Every time I cleaned the bathroom within the last year or so, I was practically knocked out by all the cleaning fumes from the products I was using...even with the windows open.  I often read articles and saw "pins" on Pinterest about making your own natural cleaning solutions, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Sure, you can easily buy natural cleaning supplies these days, but making your own is much less expensive and I'm a cheapskate!

Here are my supplies and finished products in the bottles...
 {sorry about my lame-o iPhone photos}

Your supplies {most all available at the grocery store} will vary by the recipe you use, but one staple ingredient is distilled white vinegar, you will need that for sure.  My spray bottles are from the dollar store and the other one is a recycled dish soap bottle.   I made three cleaners so far:  glass cleaner, tub scrub, and all-purpose cleaner

{the labels are sticker labels from Cath Kidston, I covered them in clear packing tape to "waterproof" them}

Since I made these a couple of weeks ago, I have had ample time to try them out, and I am happy to report they all clean awesomely!  
Sweet Cleaning Victory, 3 points for Stacey!!


All Purpose Cleaner

*I used almond scented Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap and it smells soooo good!
 
recipe found HERE


Tub Scrub/All Purpose Scrub

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tablespoon liquid dish soap

Distilled Vinegar*

* Distilled Vinegar ~ add enough to the above ingredients to make a smooth paste
Mix all of the above ingredients together and use to scrub and shine. 

Note - when you add the vinegar to the other ingredients, it will foam up at first then liquify, I made my mix a bit thinner than a paste so I could use a squeeze bottle to apply it.  Also, I repeated this recipe a few times to fill up my bottle about half way.  The above recipe would work as a "single serve" cleaning application.

 Use this mixture on stove top, sink {bathroom and kitchen}, bathtub, shower walls or anywhere you need some gentle scrubbing power.

recipe found HERE


Glass Cleaner
 recipe found HERE

The glass cleaner only smells faintly of vinegar (I was afraid it will smell like "Easter Egg Creation Central"), you could add some lemon juice or other essential oil to make it smell even better.

So there you have it... 3 natural cleaning solutions!  And they work!

I plan to make some more and think this book would be worth checking out:

{just someone's cute kitchen}

Have you any good natural cleaning recipes,
 or have you made your own cleaning supplies too?

Happy Cleaning!
XO,
Stacey

16 comments:

Dawn said...

I use all natural products too and love them have you tried the orange cleaner yet made with orange peels and vinegar? Its my fav for everything. Good for you, making the switch.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I really want to try this! Thanks for the recipe and hints! The book looks like a good one!

Martha Rule said...

I'm pregnant and decided once and for all I was done with the fumes you mentioned. I found a great all purpose green spray on pinterest, too and have used it twice, works great. I added lemon and lavendar essential oils, too and it smells great! Love that kitchen too.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You even make cleaning supplies look cute!!! I'm a big recycler, but I'm afraid I haven't switched over to "green" cleaning solutions yet. When I run out of what I have on hand, I'm going to give your recipes a try. Thanks for sharing!

Bethany said...

I have tried out homemade cleansers. I use a lot of vinegar and water. The all-purpose recipe I tried before wasn't a good one so I'll have to try yours. I've been really happy with my homemade laundry detergent and daily shower spray.

Here's my bolg post about the shower spray- http://craftingmyhappylife.blogspot.com/2011/08/homemade-daily-shower-spray.html?m=1

sabkon wells said...

hi thanks for sharing interesting tips. they are quite useful.
Green Products

thistlewoodfarm said...

Stacey,

Thank you so much for sharing! I love all these ideas....so much better than harsh commercial cleaners!

blessings,
karianne

Mary Ann said...

I feel the same way about commercial cleansers, and I am thinking of switching to all natural... this was a great introduction to them!

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

I've been making my own laundry soap for years but haven't really moved on to anything else. We have very limey water and it seems nothing really cuts it but lime away. i don't use that all the time but when it gets too built up I pull it out. I've tried the vinegar and dawn but it really didn't cut it completely. Wish it did though - i dont' like all the chemicals either.

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

Making cleaners has been on my to-do list for a couple of years, but I just haven't followed through. Thanks for the inspiration!

PlantWerkZ said...

Really such a wonderful post. This is the great combination between artificial and natural cleaning products. Thanks for everything.
PlantWerkz

Cozy Little House said...

Love this idea, and need to do it due to my asthma. Where did you get the cute Cath Kidston labels?
Brenda

❀ JoAnne said...

I have been making homemade laundry detergent for a while but now I feel motivated to try some homemade cleaners as well. Thanks for the recipes, Stacey!

Vinty Dam said...

I have a lovely recipe for laundry detergent I've been using since the end of the summer, and it's fabulous, and have been meaning to try other homemade cleaners, but have always been put off by the vinegar! My fiance says his mom cleans a lot with it, and it tends to be rather strong, but adding lemon juice might just be the ticket! Thank you for sharing these - will be trying them soon for sure! xoxo, Jess

Chenille Cottage said...

Thank you so much for this great and practical post! I, too, hate entering the fume zone when I clean. I look forward to making up some of the products you have recommended.
Blessings to you and a Happy Valentine's Day!
Carolynn

Erin said...

I've been a big fan of homemade, natural cleaning products ever since having Jacob. I think I probably buy a gallon of white vinegar a week as it gets used for wiping down surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom, cleaning toilets, plus it can be used in lieu of fabric softener in the washing machine. I'm so used to the vinegar smell, I don't try to mask it, but it does dissipate once the vinegar's dried or evaporated.

P.S.--Love that last photo of the vintage cottage kitchen. Put some wood IKEA countertops in your kitchen and they'd be dead ringers for each other!