Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Very Retro Vacation

We got back from our annual early spring trip to Phoenix, AZ
last week, and not one, but two presents greeted me at home...
piles of {I'm so over it} snow and a head cold just days after arriving back home.

Shall we take a look back at when times were sunny, carefree, and a little bit retro on our trip?
Okay, yes, let's do that shall we?!
{all photos taken with iPhone...forgot my camera!}

This pair of Airstreams was spotted in Scottsdale, I pretty much slammed on the brakes and pulled over to take this pic.  The one on the right was for sale...
wish I could have towed her home.

The Palm Tree... my most favorite tree.

Miss Maggie getting her first taste of In-N-Out Burger!
It's my favorite fast food burger in all the land, we don't have it in the Midwest.
Perhaps this is good for my waistline.

Spent an afternoon cruising vintage shops while the Mr. was at a baseball game.
These were some of my stops...
 I recommend all on the list except Lizabel's Treasures, 
only because I thought the priceswere kind of high for what was 
there and how it was displayed...basically in piles.

Zinnia's was fun to look around, lots of retro kitsch and good prices
 Aqua dump truck at Zinnia's!

This is a shop called, The Willows, which is very pretty and very expensive.  
It's not particularly my taste in that it lacks color, but it's still interesting to browse through.

Fun little retro candy shop, Smeeks at The Union at Biltmore

We took an overnight road trip to Bisbee, AZ
 Bisbee is an old mining town in southern Arizona and is a pretty cool, 
albeit quirky/odd place to visit!

Main Street in town...

The reason I wanted to visit Bisbee was to stay at The Shady Dell
a "hotel" that you stay in refurbished, retro-kitschy vintage campers.  

Due to poor planning we were there 3 days before the place opened for the season to host visitors.  We decided to go to Bisbee anyway and stay in a hotel there,
which was perfectly nice, but certainly no Airstream!! 
I basically stood outside The Shady Dell,
drooling, taking pictures like a complete weirdo stalker.

 Photo Credit: The Shady Dell
 Photo Credit: The Shady Dell
Jen and Justin, The Shady Dell proprietors
photo credit: The Shady Dell

 The Shady Dell Office


If you're not utterly vintage camper obsessed like me, this may seem like a pretty odd thing to want to do, instead of staying in a nice hotel room, in which case I recommend The Letson Lofts, which is where we stayed in Bisbee.

I reall loved shopping at Acacia Antiques in Bisbee, great vintage, great prices!


More Bisbee coolness...


Many of the houses in Bisbee are up on the Mule Mountains

Back in Phoenix I was able to meet up with Caroline from Boho Farm
at her beautiful house.  It is spectacular in person...so gorgeous!!


 Isn't her house ridiculously pretty?!  
If you don't already read her blog, you must check it out!

Her backyard gardens/farm


Chicken run and super cute coop!

I was so glad I got to see her house in person...
so fun meeting up with fellow bloggers!

The rest of the trip was spent spending time at my Mom's house relaxing and enjoying family company.  Here's Miss Mags hanging out under a grapefruit tree in my mom's backyard...

Vacation always goes too fast and it was surely hard
to come home to the snow in IL, but it is always nice to come home
and I am feeling better today.  

I'm still dreaming of warm days and sunny skies though...

XO,
Stacey

29 comments:

planetpowers said...

It looks like a great trip! I was really diggin' the cool trailer hotel, until I read their FAQ's and saw that they don't allow children under 15! Too bad for them. It looked like an awesome place to stay until I read that. Oh well... I want to buy my own vintage trailer anyway! Thanks for sharing your sunny vacation!

Jodie Humphrey said...

What an awesome trip and such wonderful photos!! I love the look of Bisbee - it looks like travelling back in time :)

Jodie

Sheila R - Blessed and Distressed said...

Looks like you had a great trip! The Shady Dell looks wonderful. That is my kind of camping!

chateau chic said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation! Fun shops to browse too.
Mary Alice

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I hope you drove home in the rusty turquoise truck parked under the Gulf sign!! Our youngest daughter and son-in-law stayed in a vintage trailer during their visit to the Black Hills. She was very pregnant at the time and there was NO air-conditioning in the trailer!! If you do make reservations to stay there, be sure to ask about the ac. :)

Sounds like a lovely trip with wonderful shops to visit, and spend quality time with family. Sorry you had to come back to more of the white stuff and a cold to boot!

traci said...

what a wonderful vacation. i would totally stay at the shady dell and never want to leave. those shops look great too!!

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

I'm glad you were able to get away, Stacey!

That "trailer park" is a great idea!

I hope you're continued reentry into normal life isn't too bumpy! ♥

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

You have made my day with this post! We have been planning a trip to Arizona all winter, but it hasn't happened yet. Now I know some places I really, really want to go! Thanks!

Linda said...

I love Bisbee! As a child I spent a couple summers there with my grandparents. Sorry you missed the "trailer park" I'd like to see it too someday.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Stacey,
Wow it looks like you had a great trip!!! I love Az. Ohhhhh that vintage trailer for sale I am right there with you. I would have wanted to hook that baby up and tow her back. It looks like you had a great vacation. Yep we got the snow piles here while you were gone. At least the sun is out today and hopefully melting some of this stuff. I am so over winter and want spring and summer. Glad you are back to posting. Missed you.
Kris

Cozy Little House said...

Maggie's hair is getting bigger and longer all the time. I had hair like that as a child. Looks like everyone had a good time. Never had one of those burgers, but have heard of them. I too covet an Airstream trailer. Maybe we should form a club: Coveting Retro Campers.
Brenda

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

So much fun! I totally want to go there, especially the trailer park!!!! What a total blast! Thanks for sharing!
Glad you are on the mend!
~ Cheryl

betsy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those old Airstreams. They're like camper "crack" haha. Looks like a great trip.

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Wow... that's a whole lot of eye candy for Mom... kind of like Disneyland for big girls!! Your pic of Maggie under the tree reminds me of Macy under Granny & Gramps' orange tree when we visited in CA when she was 3. Gramps always takes us to In & Out too... may I recommend using 2 straws for Polly Pocket stilts while you're there. Very entertaining. :)

Adrienne said...

Thank you for telling us about The Shady Dell! I don't think that I'll ever get to go, but it is a very happy thing to think of such a place! =)

michele said...

what a fun trip and what charming sights to see! you know i never felt cool on our family vacations in the camper, but now i see it was pretty dang special. you are going to get your airstream. watch for one on the blog in the upcoming weeks (shhhhhhhh. and it's not mine!).

:)
michele

NanaDiana said...

What a fun trip, Stacey. I love all the vintage campers. We are working on a vintage motor home from the 70's. Hubby looked 20 years to find one. It should be ready for use this summer.
I don't know the blog you mentioned but I will go check it out.
Miss Maggie is just darling!!! xo Diana

Lorraine Finkbeiner said...

HOW much FUN was THAT!! I LOVE vintage campers...don't have one...but LOVE them. The Shady Dell looks TOO cute for words! Lucky girl!

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Looks like a ton of fun! I think Willows would be my style - love all white/neutral!

Boho Farm and Home said...

Just loved spending time with you and your sweet family! Thanks for the shout out and look forward to hanging out again...next time...Chicago! :) xoxo

Tattered Tiques said...

Wow! Looks like it was a great trip. So jealous. I love the looks of all those junk shops, and ohhh, the vintage trailers, dreamy!!
Julie

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a great vacation, Stacey! And how fun to meet up with a fellow blogger!

Restyled Vintage said...

Wow Stacey your holiday looked awesome! That little town, so cute, and oh yes I am rather obsessed by Airstreams even though I have never seen one in the flesh. Almost 20 years ago (god I feel old, lol!) I fell in love with a print called Airstreams in Cactusland by Stephen Morath. I think he is actually from Scottsdale Arizona, maybe you've heard of him? I went on to buy two more prints and all these years later I still love them :) Now I just need to hunt down a real Airstream...apparently there are some in Byron Bay (about 5 hrs north of where I live) that you can stay in, much like the place you wrote about. Have to put it on my bucket list :)

Glad you are feeling better :)

xx Karen

Tricia said...

That looks like a great getaway! Those campers are so cool. I'll bet it was hard to leave all that sunshine. My husband's sister and his parents live in the Phoenix area. I always think it feels so strange to leave all that summery sunshine and come back to winter.

Rachel O. said...

I have got to go check out Bisbee asap!! Those pictures - oh it just looks darling. I had no idea it even existed. It'll have to be a definite roadtrip for me and the husband one of these weekends.

maryjozefiak said...

I just found your blog from I Heart Organizing, and I love it already! Your trip looked fabulous and I just HAD to comment and say that The Shady Dell literally looks like the coolest "hotel"/place to stay that I have ever seen! I've never heard or seen anything like it before and I now hope to one day visit!! Thanks for sharing :)

Jeane M. said...

Looks fun! Arizona is one lovely place to be, must try Shady Dell. Got my eye on your next posts.

Connie said...

I heard about Bisbee and the vintage trailers place some time ago on a travel tv show I think, and also read something in a magazine. Always thought it would be a neat place to visit. I'm a former Airstream camper (had 3 during my camping days) and those are some of my fondest memories. Had lots of good times traveling in them. I really enjoyed your post and the photos. :)

georganne said...

Thanks for stopping by Smeeks! We are so glad you enjoyed our shop (: Isn't Bisbee the coolest! I have a blog post ready to go this week all about it and the shady dell!