Monday, March 25, 2013

Chalk It Up

 Well, it looks like I have jumped on the chalkboard wall bandwagon...
 I painted the whole wall here about 3 weeks ago, after previously having a smaller framed chalkboard in it's place.  I wanted my daughter, Maggie, who is 2 and 1/2 to be able to draw on a chalkboard for fun and since she is so small still, it would have to go all the way to floor.  
Also, it's way more fun to have the whole wall to draw on! 

The wall was painted with Rustoleum chalk board paint, and was the easiest paint job I've done in a long while, due to the fact that it was only this small wall I was painting.  There is the inevitable chalk dust that collects on the floor, but it's easy to clean up with a Swiffer cloth or rag.  I think I might check out these chalkboard markers though to ward off the dust!

 {from Christmas 2011}

Across from that big ol' chalkboard is my dining table, 
buffet cabinet, and crate shelves.  I moved the cabinet recently from 
the living room to here, where it used to have the TV on it.  
It's better here for more dish storage...at least for now, 
I am crazy and always changing things up!
My family always makes fun of me when they come over, 
because it's different from the last week they were over.
 I really have liked my pendant light fixture over the dining room table, but a new vintage daisy tole chandelier is on it's way here to take it's place...
{purchased on ebay}

See that little sign on the crate shelf...it says, 
"Coffee keeps me busy until it is acceptable to drink wine."  Too funny, too true!

Another change I made is moving the dining hutch 
to the living room to use as a bookcase...
I have not liked this color that I painted it, since the day after I painted it, but it's working better over here in it's new spot.  I could always repaint it, but I'm not up for that kind of project right now, so "band-aid" beige it will stay.
 I'm excited that I have some room on these shelves still for 
more decor and craft books! 
One can never have to many!! ;)
A dining hutch is kind of an odd choice for a bookshelf I guess, but I'm kinda odd that way, look what I used previously...
I've never actually owned a proper bookshelf.  
Maybe someday... I sure wouldn't mind some built-in ones in the living room!

So that's what's been going one here for now.  
I'm working on a makeover in my bedroom,
so hopefully I'll have that to share soon.

Oh, and I have an exciting announcement planned in April, so stay tuned...

XO,
Stacey

36 comments:

Meream said...

Adorable! Loving all the colors.

Junkchiccottage said...

Stacey,
I love all of this and that chalk board wall is so so cute. I bet Maggie loves it. Great job. Love it.
Kris

NanaDiana said...

Stacey- You have done a lovely job on every aspect of your home. I love your chalkboards and that wall is just darling. Wonderful job all the way around- xo Diana

chateau chic said...

I adore your charming home, Stacey! I think a hutch makes the perfect bookcase. Your personal touches makes your home stand out as well as looking so comfy and inviting.
Mary Alice

Stacey said...

Everything looks fantastic! I love your big chalkboard. Just when you talked about the tole chandelier I was drooling over your pendant light. They are both adorable. I've always loved tole.

Did anyone warn you about the chalkboard markers? They don't wash off very well and often don't wash off homemade chalkboards. That's my experience and others have talked about it too.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your chalk board wall looks fabulous! You chose the perfect wall to paint one on. I'm sure Maggie will have lots of fun coloring on it!

traci said...

i love the wall!! perfect for you and maggie. and i really like the hutch in the dining room under the boxes. looks so bright and cheerful.

Lynnie @ Vintage Gal Style said...

Hi Stacey,

We are thinking on the same lines...I just posted about my chalkboard and scheduled it for posting today!
We must have used bad chalk paint for another project I haven't posted yet. It was really thick, was your paint? We had ours colored raspberry and wonder if that was what made it hard to use.

TX Lynnie

Lynnie @ Vintage Gal Style said...

PS my markers wash off fine after I had treated it with chalk. I have yet to use them on my homemade board though.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your home really is a fairy tale! I love every single thing about it!

Bronwyn said...

Your "stuff" is always so prettily arranged. It never looks crowded or over-stuffed. I really like the new mix of items in your crate shelf above your buffet. What a lovely collection of big bowls and platters.

Melanie said...

Looks great! I wanted a chalkboard wall as well, but I don't have a good spot for one...my walls are either huge or they are broken up by windows or doorways. I am thinking of painting the kitchen door though...an upper panel and lower panel in chalkboard paint could look pretty cool. :)
Love the new chandelier! :)

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Your home is so lovely! I am thinking of hauling an old ladder in and stacking some books on it! I would love to have room for a chalk board or chalk wall - I need a bigger house!

❀ JoAnne said...

You're chalkboard wall is great, Stacey! I'm sure Maggie loves it. I like you're hutch as a bookcase because it's not so predictable, the ladder was great, too!

Jann Olson said...

Hi Stacey,
love the chalkboard wall! My friend put a chalkboard in an old door and her grandies love drawing on it. Just a word of warning about the chalkboard pens. My friend and I bought them to use in the Fall. I bought gold and she bought white and thought we'd share. After using them we both had to repaint our chalkboards. Could still see the image after wiping them with wet wipes like they said. Your crate wall has grown. I pinned your original one with 3 crates. We are finishing our basement and I want to do a crate grouping. I love the cupboard for a book shelf. Using the unexpected is so much more fun.
hugs,
Jann

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

What fun changes! I bet your junior artist has given the new chalkboard two little thumbs up! Great move for the bandaid beige piece... it looks great! Love the new daisy light fixture too... pure spring fun!

maryjozefiak said...

I LOVE that chalkboard wall! It is SUCH a perfect size! How awesome & cute! :)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You and your little sidekick are going to have so much fun with your big chalkboard wall! The daisy chandelier has your name on it, too. Your "bookshelf" is perfect in that corner to house your cute collections. Lots of fun changes going on in your house!

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

The new chandy is going to look perfect in that spot and i LOVE the ladder bookshelf. Great idea that I may have to steal!!
Have a great week
~ Cheryl

Tricia said...

You have got such a cute house, Stacey! I spied a little butter dish that I love and great stack of bowls nestled right behind it. Your daughter is going to have so much fun with that chalkboard wall. I have one of those chalk markers. They look great, but boy are they hard to remove. I had to scrub and scrub my chalkboard, and then you could still see where I had wrote with it...just an FYI.

Oh, I wanted to ask you...did you make your logo or did you have someone create it for you? It is sooo charming. xo

debi said...

You have such a pretty, cheerful home. And I love the chalkboard, it's a perfect fit!

Carol Cook said...

If I had children or grandchildren, I would jump right on the chalkboard wall bandwagon. They look great in a kitchen or on a long wall, but we just don't have the space. I am content with our little chalkboard in a clock. We write on that board every day.

Leslie said...

I am always blown away by your style... Love it!!! Everything looks so fresh and cozy! I absolutely love the light you have over the table now!! I know the new one will be cute, too. The chalkboard wall is a great idea for little hands to play:)
Blessings
Leslie

Anne Marie said...

love the chalkboard wall!! perfect space to have that...don't know if I have one like that...all your decorating is so cheery Stacey - just so pretty

Leah C said...

Love, love, love the chalkboard wall!! And the hutch looks great in its new spot...so cute!

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

Everything looks great! That new light fixture is going to look perfect. Such a happy looking home!

Laurel said...

Love the giant chalkboard!!!! And what a great way for the whole family to get involved with art work and messaging. Well done!

Michelle Huddleston said...

I think I need a chalkboard. I keep looking at them. Love all of your colors!

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Oh! I love your crate shelves...the books with that vintage van...those deer...everything!
Besos from Argentina, Silvina

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Stacey,
Lovin' that chalkboard wall (how nice to do this for your little one). Charming new chandy you found...looking forward to seeing it up in your home.

Blessings,
Linda

Tabitha said...

how amazing your wall is and how fabulous to use a hutch for a bookcase!!! Love it
hugs

Amy said...

Your decor is so fun! I'm in love with your ceramic deer. ~amy

Helen said...

I love this idea! Your ceramics are amazing too xx

I discovered your blog not too long ago and I wanted to give you an award for it. This award is a fun way to know and connect with other blogs. Check it out here --> http://creativecatart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/liebster-award-for-creative-cat.html All the best! Helen xx

Dawn Gahan said...

I love the band-aid beige of your hutch. May I ask what paint brand and color it is?

Dawn Gahan
The Gahan Girls
gahangirls.blogspot.com

handonhip said...

Did you have a textured wall and if so, did you have to sand it? For the chalkboard wall...

vintage grey said...

Your home is so gorgeous and filled with such pretty treasures!! xo Heather