Monday, April 8, 2013

Budget Cottage Kitchen

So, I know you all cruise Pinterest drooling looking at dreamy kitchens.  Kitchens that were designed by pricey professionals that are even more pricey to create.  Some are giant kitchens with expansive center islands, where you imagine yourself whipping up all the fancy meals and desserts you have pinned on Pinterest.  Damn you, Pinterest!

Then you turn off the computer and enter back into the real world, step into your tiny kitchen, look around, and sigh, thinking how will your kitchen ever look remotely like your dream Pinterest kitchen, and on a budget?!  Or is this just my life scenario?  No, it can't be...you people are with me, right?!

Well, for those of you that are in my boat, I've been playing around 
with some budget friendly ideas for making over or renovating your kitchen 
vintage, cottage style!

I'm a big believer in that you CAN "get the look for less", 
or at the very least, get a cute little kitchen and still have money for groceries!

Here's a list of sources for items featured here, in case you like what you see:
I didn't list a source for kitchen cabinets, but I think the most budget friendly, albeit giant pain in the butt, thing to do is to paint them.  I used regular high gloss latex paint on mine and they have held up well for two years so far.  There are actual painting kits for cabinets now though you could try.  
I also didn't list flooring options, but again, you could get creative with paint on a wood floor, refinish, or tile with a fun and cheap checkerboard pattern.

I've only made cosmetic changes to my kitchen over the last two years, it went from this...
 {isn't that wallpaper terrible?!}

 to currently this...
 {how small is my dishwasher?!  ha!}

Someday we will remodel the space we have, 
keeping with some of these cottage kitchen style budget ideas for sure!

If you want to read more about my kitchen, you can go here.

In other news,
My bedroom mini makeover is going at a snail's pace, so I'm still plugging away.  I'm working with a client in my neighborhood decorating her renovation-in-progress house...so much fun!  I'm also working very hard at another business venture at Cottage Industry, will share soon!

Hope you have a great week!

XO,
Stacey

25 comments:

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

Your kitchen is so bright and beautiful. I absolutely love it. I agree that pinterest can be a frustration. A beautiful one, but frustrating all the same. Thanks for some great ideas.

Amy Jo said...

Your kitchen is so darn cute!!
Thanks for the ideas.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

NanaDiana said...

Stacey-Your kitchen is just darling. I love how sweet and cottagy it looks. You have done a great job so far. xo Diana

Junkchiccottage said...

Stacey,
I love what you have done to your kitchen. It is so cute your whole house is so adorable. I know when I walk into your house I always feel like I am home. You make everything so cozy and comfy. Get in on my giveaway when you get a minute my friend.
Kris

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Wow - the before and after is amazing!! I recently painted my kitchen yellow -- but it didn't instantly transform into the space I envisioned. I have some great elements, but need to work at it. Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

LOve it as usual!!!
Hope you have a great week
~ Cheryl

Tabitha said...

you kitchen is wonderful...cant wait to see the bedroom redo

debi said...

Oh, I love your cute cottage kitchen!! So cheerful and welcoming!

Carol Cook said...

I love your sweet kitchen. I have friends with huge kitchens that have no character.

Bethany said...

How did you know I've been dreaming of a new kitchen? My kitchen is a nice size, but is 20-year-old builder-grade stuff--very boring. Any redo will have to be on a budget so I appreciate your list of resources and inspiration photos. I am contemplating trying the Rustoleum cabinet refacing kit, but will at least paint the walls and update the light fixtures. I also want to add some color and vintage touches.

PamKittyMorning said...

I think it turned out lovely! sometimes the super pinterest kitchen are just too much. Not like I'd turn one down, but you know what I mean.

Tricia said...

Your kitchen is so cute! What a difference from the before. I'd love a kitchen makeover too. I look at my cabinets and think the wood looks orange...wish they were painted.

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

What a difference white paint makes! That is my some day wish for my kitchen cabinets, too! ♥

Cottage Mommy said...

Love all these ideas! We recently redid our kitchen with generous help from parents and actually put that schoolhouse light fixture in our kitchen! Same galvanized base which I love but a red stripe. It was one of my splurges! You have done a great job transforming your kitchen...love your cottage style!

Cozy Little House said...

Love your kitchen. In fact love your whole house!
Brenda

Jillian Haupt said...

Just found your blog and I ADORE it! What a beautiful home you have. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

mysweetiepiepie said...

Your kitchen remodel looks great and your budget ideas are really helpful.

I know all too well what you mean about Pinterest...

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

I am sorry that is just so darn cute. Love it!! And you are right. Pinterest can be fun but also depressing.

wendy said...

Your kitchen is fantastic! I have a really small kitchen and am in the middle of trying to figure out what to do... and I love the cottage look... picking paint colors tomorrow...Just found your blog and am your newest follower!

handonhip said...

Dang, that is gorgeous!!

Gregoria Newsome said...

I almost couldn't believe that those pictures are of the same kitchen. The before looks so tacky with that wallpaper, and I don't think the cabinets complemented the counters well. But the after is just gorgeous with the white, black and chrome.
-Gregoria Newsome @ Woods Custom Kitchens

Holly Nelson said...

love it

judy meadows said...

I so love your kitchen. May I ask the name of the curtain material and where I may purchase it.
Thank you!
Blessings.
Judy Meadows

judy meadows said...

I so love our kichen. may I have the name of the kitchen curtain material and where I may purchaseit.
thank you
blessings.
Judy

John Victor said...

We always satisfy with your trends for decorating, designing. It’s being a pleasure to hear from you.

Tayse Indoor/outdoor Rugs