Friday, May 31, 2013

I Never Met A Strawberry I Didn't Like...

Yep, that's true, I love strawberries... in pie (I've got a funny story actually about a strawberry pie), cheesecake, with whipped cream, in yogurt, and just a plain ol' strawberry is fine with me.  However, this post isn't about the strawberries you eat...heavens no, it's about vintage strawberries! 
The kind you see printed on old tablecloths, embroidered on linen, as a plate motif, tied around a waist on an apron.

I'm no stranger to decorating or crafting with strawberry patterns and such, here's some of my greatest strawberry hits!
 {a favorite bowl of mine}

 {treasured sconce}

 {purse I made from a vintage towel}

 {my kitchen curtains made from a vintage tablecloth}

 {close up of the curtain print}

 {photograph I snapped one day}

 {not super easy to see, but the chair is covered in a strawberry oilcloth fabric}

{vintage cross stitch in my living room}

{my strawberry mug on top of my oilcloth strawberry dining tablecloth}

As if I didn't already have enough strawberry stuff, I sure wouldn't mind these juicy additions...




All of the above are from my fave, Cath Kidston

Not to be too greedy, but I also would really like these vintage strawberry lovelies...
{source}

{source}
{source}

So you made it to the end of this post, a.k.a., Strawberry Fest 2013, and you want to hear that funny strawberry pie story still?  Okay...so I wanted to make this strawberry pie recipe I saw on Pinterest and all went well preparing it, it even looked pretty good before baking. 

The recipe called for broiling the top to brown it a bit in the last few minutes of baking.  Well, I am no expert broiler user, I mean, I NEVER use the thing!  I guess I had the pie too close to the broiler and it caught on fire, like it was actually flaming when I attempted to take it out of the oven!!  In the end I was left with a charred on top strawberry pie...ugh, so disappointing.  The silver lining is that I removed the burnt top crust and the pie actually tasted pretty good, all things considered.

What about you, do you have a favorite vintage motif?  Burn any pies lately??

XO,
Stacey

28 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Your kitchen is so cute and whimsical.

Jen Rippinger said...

Love it all! You made my morning a little brighter!

Bronwyn said...

If we were to meet at a garage sale or thrift shop and there were strawberry items there we'd have to arm wrestle to see who gets the goods. I would fight til the (near) death for berries. Lucky we live so far apart or you'd be done for....

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

I LOVE anything with blueberries!!!
have a great weekend
~ Cheryl

sharnymcclarny said...

I feel the same way about cherries!! And its almost Ranier and Bing season here in WA state. Love them on linens, fabrics, etc. I've painted them in watercolor as well. Nice post ... inspiration for a cherry blog for me. Thanx for sharing

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Oh I love everything about this post!! :) I absolutely love love your kitchen!! SOO cute it is! Love all the strawberry goodness! Lol... I seen your pie on instagram...tehe, that would totally be me too! Have a happy Friday!! xo Holly

Debby said...

Your kitchen is "berry" cute. I really love it. Love strawberries and cherries. Fun to decorate with.

vintage grey said...

Love it all!! Strawberries are one of my favorite to eat and craft with, too!! Love your curtains!! Happy weekend to you! xo Heather

Mary Ann said...

I'm not a big strawberry fan for eating, but I LOVED this post! Made me feel really good!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I always get inspired when I visit your cheerful posts! Your strawberry adorned elements in your home add so much charm, who cares if you burned the pie! I'd love the CK dress for a wedding next weekend, please. :)

Little Treasures said...

Oh my Gosh!!!
I love this post top to bottom!!
But the cutest, absolutely adorable is the vintage towel purse!

andrea creates said...

strawberries are so cheery!
i like roses too :)

Bethany said...

I love all the vintage items with strawberries, cherries, etc. Right now my kitchen is lacking any of those fun things, but I have plans on adding some back in. I am a pie baker and thankfully I have never burned a pie, but I'm glad you salvaged what you could. I once tried a new crust recipe and canned peach filling...it was terrible. I vowed then never to stray from my tried-and-true pie recipes.

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

What a wonderful strawberry post. I'm glad you were able to salvage your poor pie, Stacey!

Oh my, I'd LOVE to have that canister set!!! I love anything with strawberries, too. My fav strawberry item is my table cloth. Wish I was brave enough to make a curtain out of mine. ♥

AshTreeCottage said...

Love, love, love your kitchen curtains. The perfect addition to an already adorable kitchen!

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

NanaDiana said...

Your strawberry themed items are all just gorgeous. When I lived North of here in Door Co I had a lot of cherry themed items because it is the cherry capital of the Midwest. BUT- I have always loved strawberries! I hate broiling things and am not good at it all!:<( xo Diana

Tania said...

Hi Stacey! I have just discovered this wonderful corner of the blogging universe! I think we must be cut from the same cloth! I've had a good old nose around, and love your style and beautiful home. And as for stawberries, well, I love them in any shape or form! I love your blog, and will definitely be putting it on my recommended reading list! Tania ♥

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Stacey,
I love the strawberry motif and I always love your cheerful fun kitchen. Hope you are doing good. Hope to get together soon.
Kris

Carmen said...

I love your happy strawberry themed kitchen! :-) I used to have a "fruit" themed kitchen - lots of plastic fruit and things.

My most recent kitchen disaster wasn't burning anything but accidentally pulling a tart out of the oven and only supporting the bottom middle of the pan. Of course, the side part came down and the whole thing fell on the floor... :-( Oh well...

Dawn said...

Love all your strawberry stuff, and your kitchen is always delightful to see. I always love your style:)

Stacey said...

Oh I love this post! You are making me want some pretty strawberry things for our home. My everyday dishes have strawberries and I love them. :)

Jane H said...

I wish we were in the same state - I have two matching vintage strawberry tablecloths I bought years ago and have never used! You would love them!

Elyse said...

hi stacey,

an adorable and quite yummy post from top to bottom (or crust to pan?). i love strawberries, too and will sometimes bake them into corn muffins (jiffy mix).

always love seeing your pics and style!

xo
elyse

Regine Karpel said...

That bowl and purse are my favorite!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

The Bashful Nest said...

I am a big fan of the strawberry myself. I just made strawberry jam for the first time and to me there is no sweeter taste. Love all your fun strawberry fabrics.

Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

Lynnie @ Vintage Gal Style said...

Hi Stacey,
Love all your strawberries in your home but especially like the purse you made and the curtains...very delish!

Hugs,Lynnie

onlinephduk said...

Your post made me hungry for strawberries! Your kitchen curtains were it for me. I love them. I want to sneak in your house and borrow them. The strawberry dress is also a favorite of mine. I love all the strawberries.

Please visit My Website: Split-Site PhD